I like this boat

series3

Featured Posts

Looking for something like this.

http://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2921.aspx

saw it a couple of weeks ago, it had no price then.

your thoughts please.

also one I like at rugbyboats for around 55000, keswick...I'll try post a link.

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Trads/steve-hudson-trad-narropwboat-for-sale-vintage-engine-lister-jp3.html

thanks for looking

series3

If my cruising ground was the Northern canals I wouldn't buy a 60 foot boat.

One of those extinguishers is a reflection isn't it? Still don't understand why you would want one in the loo, though the way the BSS is going it's only a matter of time before it becomes obligatory.

As for crusing I would more than likely to stay northern.

Why not 60 - 62 ft

Would a 57-58 be better. Have toyed with the idea of wide, just don't like them.

Offer must have gone in today...no rush, would have

had to make the bed in that one.

series3

Edited by series3

What are you looking for, a holiday boat, a live aboard or something else??

The less Allen is over 25 years old, and the refit doesn't seem to have updated it much. I would be offering £5 below that....perhaps more if seeing the boat in the flesh.

Keswick had lots of people viewing on Thursday morning, so looks like they put an offer in then.

As for crusing I would more than likely to stay northern.

Why not 60 - 62 ft

Would a 57-58 be better. Have toyed with the idea of wide, just don't like them.

Offer must have gone in today...no rush, would have

had to make the bed in that one.

series3

You can't get through Huddersfield in a 60 foot boat, you can't do the C&H.

Personally I wouldn't spend £40k on a boat that can't navigate the entire network.

You can't get through Huddersfield in a 60 foot boat, you can't do the C&H.

Personally I wouldn't spend £40k on a boat that can't navigate the entire network.

But if flat caps and whippets are not your thing, what does it matter if the boat can't get there? It would be a shame to reject a lovely boat on the basis that it can't fit somewhere that you are never going to go anyway.

I had given it alot of thought.

We were thinking ee would rather have a little more room and more boat options than go "everywhere"

Also will need room for the dog..

Have you been out looking at many boats yet? Length doesn't always = more room.

Yeah. Looked at lots.

would like. Trad with engine room.

pref a bed already made up.

rather cassete than pump out but dont mind. Could cope with both.

would like stove not near the door at the front.

We have things in mind but not scared of doing some work to spruce things up.

I will have more questions yet. I do like hannah no1

We will be looking at more.

Yeah. Looked at lots.

How about 'BADGER'?

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/boat/listing/pre

It's one of the first boats to have come on the market (in my original price range) since I bought my boat that has made me wish it had been for sale when I was boat hunting last year.

Edited by junior

you would like a bigger boat = more room, but want an engine room that would take up 8' - 10' of space.

Are you talking about Hannah?

Doesn't look a very long engine room in the pictures.

A "Grand Union" boat's engine room, (like on our "Sickle"), is 5' 6", and an RN DM2 will fit that easily, (just as well, as that is what the boats were built to house!).

Any engine takes up quite a bit of length, however housed, or wherever located, so the length lost by a trad engine in a proper engine room isn't actually that much over a more "modern" arrangement.

However a back cabin will be at least 8 feet, (often more in a modern build to make the bed more usable), so you really do need to consider if space is important whether that is appropriate to your needs or not. Obviously a traditional back cabin is highly space efficient, but may not be the use of space.that many people want on a live-aboard boat. Also the headroom is heavily reduced, of course!

Regarding Hannah - she appears to only have Eberspacher heating for the main cabin space, and even so, (assuming details are correct!), still only has a Paloma for hot water, (perhaps not too confident in the "Eber" then!). I wouldn't want to buy a boat that didn't have a solid fuel stove as it's main heating.

But if flat caps and whippets are not your thing, what does it matter if the boat can't get there? It would be a shame to reject a lovely boat on the basis that it can't fit somewhere that you are never going to go anyway.

The OP is based in the North and says they will mostly cruise there.

To buy a boat that excludes you from two of the three canals crossing the Pennines for the sake of three feet of length - does that make any sense to anyone?

As everyone knows, a well thought out 57 footer can have more room than a poorly designed 60 footer.

If you only wanted to do the Leeds Liverpool, you may as well have a (gulp) widebeam.

Just my opinion.

How about 'BADGER'?

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/boat/listing/pre

It's one of the first boats to have come on the market (in my original price range) since I bought my boat that has made me wish it had been for sale when I was boat hunting last year.

Badger is on my list.

Like that one too.

as for being based in the north.....I live here now. I don't have to live here.

I have not ruled out a smaller boat,

Edited by series3

The second one is under offer

I quite like Hannah

Richard

I really like that one at Venitian. Well respected hull builder, nice lines, lovely engine and a nice fit out.

Yeah. Looked at lots.

Are you talking about Hannah?

Doesn't look a very long engine room in the pictures.

A "Grand Union" boat's engine room, (like on our "Sickle"), is 5' 6", and an RN DM2 will fit that easily, (just as well, as that is what the boats were built to house!).

Any engine takes up quite a bit of length, however housed, or wherever located, so the length lost by a trad engine in a proper engine room isn't actually that much over a more "modern" arrangement.

However a back cabin will be at least 8 feet, (often more in a modern build to make the bed more usable), so you really do need to consider if space is important whether that is appropriate to your needs or not. Obviously a traditional back cabin is highly space efficient, but may not be the use of space.that many people want on a live-aboard boat. Also the headroom is heavily reduced, of course!

Regarding Hannah - she appears to only have Eberspacher heating for the main cabin space, and even so, (assuming details are correct!), still only has a Paloma for hot water, (perhaps not too confident in the "Eber" then!). I wouldn't want to buy a boat that didn't have a solid fuel stove as it's main heating.

We were looking at boats today and encouraged by the above, went to see Hannah for ourselves. Basically, the boat's not right for us, the main issues are:

1. No solid fuel stove.

2. No logical location to put a solid fuel stove. Sure, you could modify to fit, but one of the built-in furniture units at the front would need to be removed etc, a lot of work compared to some

3. The saloon is either an odd size, or an odd choice of layout with its current overly long L shaped settee and too-short-for-reclining-chairs free area in front of this. To fit free standing furniture, you'd need to do something about the size of the L shaped seating.

4. Yes the engine room is a bit shorter than some but it renders the entire side the other side of the engine, almost completely useless. You'd need to stretch over the engine to get at, or do anything. I couldn't even open the hatch.

5. The green stripes of paint is damaged and would need attention.

Its an otherwise nice looking boat though.

While I was there, I also took another look at Ivy 1:

2881-I.jpg

and asked them to start up the engine, so we could assess how practical it would be living with a Kelvin K2 day-to-day. And I did that little thing where it idles then you wind the throttle open really quick, to get it to thump a bit.....yummy! However, the vibration levels in the boat are just too much and it would be a nightmare to live with....oh well.

also looked at Ivy

I have't looked at too many boats yet, just looking for more ideas of what would make us happy.

I have however started to make alterations in my mind while I'm looking.(is that normal?)

In my head on Hannah I had already decided to take out most of the saloon and fit a solid fuel stove and have some free standing furniture.

I know it might seem silly but all the boats I have looked at want something doing.

We are very capable of doing any alterations ourselves,

I was also suprised at how some minor jobs were either just left or done without much thought.

I'm sure we will be looking at many more until we find the right one.

The price between the 2 was 15000.

I wa sthinking, as they all need something, hannah would look better with the saving spent ot her....is it a "her"?

series3