Lip seal lubricant

Featured Posts

Just received my new Thetford Cassette lip seal to find that the fitting instructions says 'IMPORTANT: before placing the new lip seal make sure that it has been treated with Thetford seal lubricant' I do not have any Thetford lubricant! Anybody suggest an alternative please?

I have to confess, not being aware of this requirement, I have never used any lubricant after replacing the lip seal with no apparent problems (so far!), Apart from that, once it is pressed into service, it gets lubricated by water which seems to work quite well.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I had to look furniture polish to see what that was! i have avoided petroleum jelly (Vaseline) as it may damage the seal and have used hand cream 'cos its greasy and ok for skin so fingers crossed its ok for rubber seals. Now the seal in my other cassette has started leaking. What's with it with these things. OK 2 years constant use turn about but the seals have not lasted. Worst of all they still look good. I am tempted to whack them down with some silicone sealant, that should stop it, may be. If its knackered I can't make it any worse, and at a £10 a time.....

Because its raining I found this

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5281308/technical.pdf

Its a document showing how to service/replace seals in the cassette, the important part for me is

Thetford strongly urges users never

to lubricate the lip seal with oil, grease,
or Vaseline. Either smear on olive oil or
buy a can of Thetford Maintenance
Spray for Toilet Seals
So its off with the hand cream and on with the Olive oil

I've had trouble with seepage. Should have asked you first! If the olive oil does not do the trick DOT 3 for me.

Lovely word is seepage, DOT4 for higher performance. Or if thrifty Holts universal.