Leaving boat in reading

Doubleh

Featured Posts

We are currently on the thames and will shortly have to leave the boat for two nights to visit family up north. I expect to be in the reading area which is handy for trains. I know most of the moorings on the thames are restricted to 24 hours, but many of the ea ones seem to be a modest charge for the next two nights which would suit us fine.

Can anyone recommend a good spot in or close to reading to leave the boat? I am enquiring of marinas but would much prefer a towpath mooring if possible, as it will be a short period.

As an alternative is it worth crossing onto the k&a and mooring on there instead (we have a gold licence)? This would get around the 24 hour problem but from reading the guide it sounds like a fairly tricky stretch with traffic lights and hydraulic bridges, and I'm unclear how far we would have to go along until we could find a reasonable mooring.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Thanks

Neil

A bit of a long shot but - Better Boating may be able to help. He said he was full up for long term moorings but may be OK for a couple of nights. On the wrong side of the river, but could ferry across to the mainland. The station is easily walkable from there.

You could try Caversham Lock ("I'm in need of help") 'cos I don't think they have official overnight moorings.

I don't think any towpath mooring is particularly safe in that area.

Thames & Kennet marina would probably want £20 per night, being the going rate.

Might be worth phoning either Caversham or Goring locks, I know Goring has mooring on the mill stream, ( £8 per night last year) or as above. Goring has a railway station on the Reading - Oxford line.

Edited by Alf27

Might be worth phoning either Caversham or Goring locks, I know Goring has mooring on the mill stream, ( £8 per night last year) or as above. Goring has a railway station on the Reading - Oxford line.

That's an even better suggestion.

The (newer) Valhalla was moored there last (?) week and it's a very nice area. The lockie can see the boat when he's on duty. Give him a ring (phone number on EA website)

Its a big slog up to the Cunning man, County and Fobney are not the easiest of locks, then even further up to find somewhere to wind to come back down.

and coming down through Reading is no fun at all, or at least it wasn't three days ago. Tying up outside Tescos on the Thames would be a lot easier and probably no less safe. Cant see EA worrying about a 48 hour stay. However Thames is on yellows at present so I would not like to leave my boat unattended.

..........Dave

I left my boat at Thames and Kennet marina for 3 nights last year and it cost about 43 quid. That's for a big widebeam. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper for a narrowboat. I don't think I'd want to leave a boat unattended on the Thames towpath on yellows or reds, and leaving it on the K&A in Reading itself seemed like a bad idea to me. If that was the choice I'd rather go further up the Thames. In the end I didn't mind paying a few quid a T&K just for peace of mind.

Edited by blackrose

Dumping it on "Tesco's mooring" will not get you any brownie points as it's supposed to be a time limited mooring - but the 'antis' removed all the notices.

If you wanted to stop to go shopping you'd know why.

Not popular with the locals.

There were a gaggle of liveaboards towards the lower end of the moorings but EA ? have moved them on.

Just thought I'd follow this up for the benefit of anyone else who may have the same need in the future. We went with goring which was fantastic. Called the lock and spoke to the keeper who couldn't have been more helpful. In addition to the free 24hr moorings below the lock the have a single paid space on the outside of the lock itself at the upstream end. They had no problem with our situation, and reserved the spot for us after the call. They we're able to keep an eye on the boat giving us comfort in light of the yellow boards. The mooring cost I think £8 per day and we took electricity as well for an extra £1.50 so the batteries would get a full equalisation charge.

The village was small but very pleasant and the station only 15 mins from reading. The curry shop on the high street is also much to be recommended - especially the alkrashma lamb, a house speciality consisting of a whole lamb shank marinated for 48 hours then slow roasted until falling off the bone and meltingly tender. Mmmm...

Thanks all for the great input!

Just thought I'd follow this up for the benefit of anyone else who may have the same need in the future. We went with goring which was fantastic. Called the lock and spoke to the keeper who couldn't have been more helpful. In addition to the free 24hr moorings below the lock the have a single paid space on the outside of the lock itself at the upstream end. They had no problem with our situation, and reserved the spot for us after the call. They we're able to keep an eye on the boat giving us comfort in light of the yellow boards. The mooring cost I think £8 per day and we took electricity as well for an extra £1.50 so the batteries would get a full equalisation charge.

The village was small but very pleasant and the station only 15 mins from reading. The curry shop on the high street is also much to be recommended - especially the alkrashma lamb, a house speciality consisting of a whole lamb shank marinated for 48 hours then slow roasted until falling off the bone and meltingly tender. Mmmm...

RESULT!!

Thanks for the feedback - hopefully other folks will take notice.

The Thames 'resident' lockies are in the main very helpful and likewise knowledgeable. Many have an affinity with narrowboats ('we' keep the River alive out of season and in general are more competent than some of the locals..)

Too many visitors treat the Thames as not much more than a transit between two or more canals - and that's a mistake. The lockie is much more than a paid button pusher, often he / she is a member of the local community, complete with a lot of knowledge of the local moorings / flora and fauna / pubs , eating houses and so on. Treasure that and take advantage of what's on offer. After all it's cost you.

OK it's a culture shock, lack of official moorings, bankside moorings are difficult to evaluate. Wide track with water flowing. Some locks are deep and daunting.

Moored below the lock at the moment