Titanic Replica

Robbo

Featured Posts

Horribly tacky but not wrong in my view, I think BillS is right. I've heard Dad's Army is quite popular nowadays in Germany in fact.

"can be transported anywhere in the world" they say, but it looks like a widebeam, so there are lots of good waterways it'll never go on. The builders were clearly aiming for comedy, but it would be funnier if they'd made it smaller. An authentic scale model to fit narrow locks would need some very tiny portholes.

I am reminded of this place where they train merchant navy officers on tiny oil tankers:

http://www.warsashacademy.co.uk/facilities/ship-handling-centre/welcome-to-timsbury-lake.aspx

There are some pics of it here when it was completed, but doesn't really answer your question.

http://randommization.com/2011/04/11/man-builds-100ft-titanic-replica-in-his-backyard/

I think the article is slightly out in referring to the boat as 1/100th scale model - that would make the original Titanic 10,000 feet long.

So did he launch it, or did the project......add appropriate sentence ending for yourself.

Taking dimensions from this:

http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_statistics.shtml

of 882x92 feet, 175' high, 46,000 tons, to get down to narrowboat width would only need 1/14th scale.

This would yield a 63' boat, too long for some locks, but the real problem would be a height of 12.5 feet. I'm guessing that 175' doesn't include the masts or the draught, and that even with removable funnels low bridges/tunnels would be a problem.

Another site gives Titanic's draught as 34' 7", so our hypothetical 1/14th scale boat would only need just over 2 feet of water.

How tasteless and insensitive can some people be.

Howard

They'll be making a film of it next - lawd how cruel and insulting can people be to the memory of the dead ..... (where's the irony icon?) IT ALL HAPPENED A LONG TIME AGO - IT'S HISTORY. I had relatives killed in the war - I might get peeved at films that say the Americans won it, but so what?

Edited by Tam & Di

They'll be making a film of it next - lawd how cruel and insulting can people be to the memory of the dead ..... (where's the irony icon?) IT ALL HAPPENED A LONG TIME AGO - IT'S HISTORY. I had relatives killed in the war - I might get peeved at films that say the Americans won it, but so what?

Sorry, we're just going to have to disagree on this one.

Howard

clapping.gif

However on a point of order they are actually 'funnels'

my useless fact of the day-

Titanic's fourth funnel was actually fake and was added purely for aesthetic reasons, to make the ship look more 'powerful' and impressive.

Also it was an air vent, some people escaped up it when she was sinking.

Earle Whiteman of Shereborne Wharf had his narrowboat converted into the Titanic for a film "Titanic Love" I was impressed with the use of traffic cones for the funnels

:)

He is also on the cast list as the Captain in the film.

:)

I think the article is slightly out in referring to the boat as 1/100th scale model - that would make the original Titanic 10,000 feet long.

So did he launch it, or did the project......add appropriate sentence ending for yourself.

Actually a 1/100 scale model would be about eight feet long.

Looking at the picture it's around 1/10 scale.

Edited by Neil2

Sorry, we're just going to have to disagree on this one.

Howard

I didn't select your post specifically, just as one of those with similar views. If you have relatives who died in the sinking I apologise. Otherwise I think you should leave the emoting to someone who has.

As I said, I DO have relatives who died in the war, but I certainly wouldn't want people wringing their hands on my behalf, especially about some quite irrelevant jokey thing a couple of generations after the event - in the case of the Titanic even more generations than that. Did you boycott cinemas showing the film Titanic? Is it tragic that people enjoy war movies? Of course not, but that does not mean the people who do are monsters any more than those who created the images (or in this case some pastiche model).

Tam

• Greenie 1

I didn't select your post specifically, just as one of those with similar views. If you have relatives who died in the sinking I apologise. Otherwise I think you should leave the emoting to someone who has.

As I said, I DO have relatives who died in the war, but I certainly wouldn't want people wringing their hands on my behalf, especially about some quite irrelevant jokey thing a couple of generations after the event - in the case of the Titanic even more generations than that. Did you boycott cinemas showing the film Titanic? Is it tragic that people enjoy war movies? Of course not, but that does not mean the people who do are monsters any more than those who created the images (or in this case some pastiche model).

Tam

What the ...!

I think your remarks are just a tad OTT!

I expressed my opinion on something which you disagre with; fine. I was not "emoting" . I have never mentioned relatives on the Titanic, ( I don't have any), people who died in the war etc etc. however, I thank you for your kind advice.

Best regards

Howard