Barge Haulage halifax to london

Gavin Brunton

Featured Posts

Cruise it down to Leicester area, get it lifted out, onto a truck for 20 miles or so, & lifted back in (probably under your £1000) and you'll have a great trip as well.

You will need the practice in steering / manoeuvering it for when you get into the congested 'system' of London.

Have you found a mooring yet ?

If you think £3000 for transport is a lot - wait until you see the mooring prices £8,000 - £10,000 - £12,000 (cheaper ones are available in some places)

Thanks for all the replies guys. The barge weighs 20t BTW. Ive managed to get a much more sensible quote for the first crane and lorry. Just trying to work out my best option for getting it into the canal at the London end now. Ideally a boat yard with a suitable crane so i dont need a crane to come out

incessantly is a 8 year old boat likely to need a hull survey?

Thanks for all the replies guys. The barge weighs 20t BTW. Ive managed to get a much more sensible quote for the first crane and lorry. Just trying to work out my best option for getting it into the canal at the London end now. Ideally a boat yard with a suitable crane so i dont need a crane to come out

incessantly is a 8 year old boat likely to need a hull survey?

YES YES YES!!!!! IMHO.....

....although other members may well disagree!

The boat we had surveyed was only 4 years old and the hull had pitted to 4mm from 6mm in that relatively short period.

Costly, yes, but better to discover stuff like this prior to purchase surely?

Edited by Sas

THERE IS NO MORE ROOM IN LONDON FOR LIVE-ABOARD, CONTINOUS CRUISERS OR CONTINOUS MOORERS. GO TO THE NORFOLK BROADS.

Edited by Grace & Favour
Please don't 'shout' - it's not neccesary
  • Greenie 1

You are prob right In that case I need to find somewhere up north with a crane at the yard so I can get it pulled out of the water and checked before the sale

Your thinking about buying a boat, let the seller think about it too! if he wants to sell it he will be giving you the options for a survey and to get the boat docked and the job done, are you using a broker or private??? as a broker should have the contacts to make it easier

You have got more chance of finding a dry dock, dry dock it, survey it, negotiate if any surveyor findings, buy it???? then re-black, new anodes, then get a crane in to move it.

There's a Marina near Watford that can lift widebeams on site, most boats from North end up there, I will try and find there name.

Another widebeam for London, CCing ????

Edited by Northernboater
  • Greenie 1

THERE IS NO MORE ROOM IN LONDON FOR LIVE-ABOARD, CONTINOUS CRUISERS OR CONTINOUS MOORERS. GO TO THE NORFOLK BROADS.

ea667ecd2f3b562a73e246058829a5f5.jpg

You are prob right In that case I need to find somewhere up north with a crane at the yard so I can get it pulled out of the water and checked before the sale

Mirfield (Shepley Bridge Marina Ltd) has a dry dock, its where I got mine surveyed.

Shepperton is on the Thames £306 for 18 meters.. I didn't rate them tho..

http://www.sheppertonmarina.com/craneage.php

Edited by Robbo

Yes Im CCing for a year or so then planning to try and escape London in the barge. Thats the whole point of getting it so Im not tied down. Don't hate me!

Not a problem for me as I see it every week with the widebeams going South. Are you using a broker or private?

One thing I'll say is it will not be as easy as you think to get it craned out up here as there are no boat yards in West Yorkshire or that matter on the Yorkshire system with a suitable crane on site.

You'll have to phone boat yards to see if there getting any in for the day and share, surely the seller knows this with having a widebeam up here.

Cruise it down to Leicester area, get it lifted out, onto a truck for 20 miles or so, & lifted back in (probably under your £1000) and you'll have a great trip as well.

Or take it by water up the Trent, along the Fossdyke and Witham, across the Wash, and up the Nene and then you only need a short lift around the Northamton Arm to the GU main line.

Just out of curiosity how long do you think it would take to get it down by water?

You cannot take it all the way by water - narrowboats yes, fat boats no.

There is a narrow constriction somewhere whichever way you try to go - thats why the suggestions were for a lift out and short road trip and then back in again.

When they craned out the St Johns Ambulance widebeam at Northampton it cost I think around £7k. That was 2 lorries & a crane, & it wasnt even going anywhere, just sat on the ground next to the lock for a week then back into the water.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Consider going over the Rochdale and down to Liverpool Marina. Their straddle lifted my fifty ton barge for £300 transport cost £700 anfd a crane at Worcester cost £1500. I belive ther is a straddle at Gravesend belonging to the Pilot boats.