how long between pump outs

Detling

Featured Posts

Yes I know this is dangerous but does apply to the bucket brigade as well.

I have found that the time before my waste tank full light comes on differs enormously. We have had 20 days since the last pump out, usually about 14 days, that light has come on again this time only 8 days since the last pump out. This was a good one, done at Crick marina, by experienced operators with good equipment and witnessed by me. There are always two of us on the boat and we only occasionally use facilities ashore, there has been no change in our habits to cause this variation, 20 days to 8 days with the same tank.

Has anyone got any sensible ideas why the huge variation, and do other people also find this variation.

Thanks

Yes I know this is dangerous but does apply to the bucket brigade as well.

I have found that the time before my waste tank full light comes on differs enormously. We have had 20 days since the last pump out, usually about 14 days, that light has come on again this time only 8 days since the last pump out. This was a good one, done at Crick marina, by experienced operators with good equipment and witnessed by me. There are always two of us on the boat and we only occasionally use facilities ashore, there has been no change in our habits to cause this variation, 20 days to 8 days with the same tank.

Has anyone got any sensible ideas why the huge variation, and do other people also find this variation.

Thanks

It depends on how well the operator or you has pumped your tank out and how much is left in it.

If you watch hire boats being pumped out they often rock the boat to keep the contents gently swilling about which is what we used to do. It also means as the contents swill up to the suction pipe more gets removed, though you get some air too.

There also needs to be a good seal on the fitting at the gunwale. Not all PO machines will provide this.

Hi ya,.

It might be something as simple as a dirty sender, giveing inaccurate readings, Have you got a Separate Holding tank wash out Deck fitting ?. & if so, do you use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tnnbvdlletey69/2014-04-23%2012.03.06.jpg

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65955#entry1292965.

Also might be worn a read as to why have a Separate Deck wash !.

I can only say what works for me, and I have had no issues to date.

Good luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

Another piece of string question?

• Slow pumpout rate - apparatus timed out
  • As above operator got bored.
  • Operator thought tank had been emptied, so stopped
  • Flush operation not completed
  • Somebody onboard running too much fresh water to clear something embarrassing (rather than using the brush)
  • leak in system

Who knows??

This happened to me about 3 pumpouts ago. As I only use the marina self pumpout I know the tank was properly empty.
Beer was the problem. Usually I can last 2 weeks between pumpouts. This particular time it only lasted 8 days. I know for a fact I had an exceptional amount of beer to drink that week, & when I drink beer I pee lots.

Hi ya,.

It might be something as simple as a dirty sender, giveing inaccurate readings, Have you got a Separate Holding tank wash out Deck fitting ?. & if so, do you use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tnnbvdlletey69/2014-04-23%2012.03.06.jpg

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65955#entry1292965.

Also might be worn a read as to why have a Separate Deck wash !.

I can only say what works for me, and I have had no issues to date.

Good luck.

love the dirty sender idea......

4-6 weeks for the two of us usually, but we have a big tank. Main problem is keeping the right mix of bacteria to prevent 'cupboard odours' a few weeks in. It's always better to wee in ..other places / use paper rather than bowl water as a landing zone. Remembering to use it sparingly accounts for most of the differences usually.

Funniest thing I know about pumpouts revolves around a couple on our marina who were first time live aboards on a fat boat. They had never had any experience of boats and thought you only had to pump out once a year!

They discovered they were mistaken after the inevitable Poo explosion, they told me it took them over a day to clean up.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Thanks for the above, I know it's not beer as that would be nice but didn't happen. The boat was rocked as usual etc during the last pump out. The only thing I can think of is possibly foam caused by the contents fermenting in the warm weather recently leading to a cap of bubbles triggering the sensor.

Thanks for the above, I know it's not beer as that would be nice but didn't happen. The boat was rocked as usual etc during the last pump out. The only thing I can think of is possibly foam caused by the contents fermenting in the warm weather recently leading to a cap of bubbles triggering the sensor.

Excellent ...you are sorted.