crew required for northampton arm

tagulablue

Featured Posts

Hi Tagulablue, and welcome to the forum.

Can I ask what you have heard that has put you off the Northampton arm?

The arm is all single width locks and relatively easy, with 2 of you it shouldn't take you longer than 4 hours.

If you set off early, and are the first down the flight, you are likely to encounter a couple of low pounds, but if you are experienced you can easily sort this out yourself, if not, then a call to C&RT will result in them swiftly sending out a couple of lads to help. A friend of mine in the marina did the arm last month with her boyfriend (both of them inexperienced having only previously moved her boat once before) and they thoroughly enjoyed it, even to the extent of doing the same trip a couple of weeks later!

If you have the time, wait until there has been movement already on the arm, then the pounds will be sorted for you. ;-)

When will you arrive at Gayton? Do you have time to walk round to the first lock and take a look, see how lovely the view is and hopefully ease your mind about doing the flight?

If you are still nervous, and I can sort a lift out, I could come up and give you a hand but it wouldn't be until lunchtime.

hi Purple Fairie .... thanks for the great advice. It was the sheer number and I wasn't too sure on the area. I used to live in Northampton but that was over 30 years ago so not up to date on the no go areas. I have booked into the marina for either Wed or Thurs night .... and they have also suggested mooring at lock 13. We are experienced boaters but husband was ill last year and it's knocked his confidence and strength . We started off the season from Burton on Trent and have been down to London and now on our way down the Nene to Wisbech. We have booked Daryl to cross the Wash on the 10th June. Any tips on the Nene locks .... other than to have lots of Wheatabix before I start the locks... Ann

Dear Ann

For the Nene, make sure you have two Abloy keys (one and a spare) - without them you are stuck.

In my opinion the locks on the river are easier than many canal locks - all but six of the guillotines are electric, and the remainder are fine if you take your time (nice heavy flywheel to spin). The paddles on the upper gates are very easy to operate. The landing stages are well appointed but quite small..

I have booked into the marina for either Wed or Thurs night .... and they have also suggested mooring at lock 13.

Just been informed you've spoken to the marina manager at Northampton - my hubby! biggrin.png

Look forward to seeing you

Thanks Scholar Gypsy - it's silly how you can get uptight over one section and then not worry about the Wash crossing.

And Purple Fairie - Look forward to catching up with you Wed or Thurs. (prob Thurs)

I see you are offering payment, there's a dodgy looking geezer around there who carries a windlass who will be happy to help for pay, he has been known to do it for nothing in the past.

It should take around 4 hours, last time I did it it took me almost 8 hours for some unknown reason. I did get grounded but CaRT where already there filling up the low pounds, I wasnt grounded for that long, not long enough to take 8 hours! Mind you I did moor up for a bit at lunch time as well half way through.

I see you are offering payment, there's a dodgy looking geezer around there who carries a windlass who will be happy to help for pay, he has been known to do it for nothing in the past.

That's a bit unfair! :-)

If you are referring to Leon, he does a good job, but I know what you mean!

Been 'warned' about Liam/Leon ...told he was fine so long as you don't give him your phone no!. Thanks to all your advice I am now looking forward to it. Ps. Just measured the anchor/chain and rope.... 4m of chain and 14m of rope.... daryl recommends 6m to 10m of chain and 20m of rope....Any views on this before we buy more chain?

Hello there.

We are moving from Gayton to Northampton Marina this morning and wanted to recruit crew ourselves, have heard rumours of a man of the woods who mysteriously appears and offers help if you cross his palm with silver so if we see him l could tell him to keep an eye out for your boat also if thats any help?

l'm also mooring at Northampton until saturday when we'll be carrying on our journey to Ringstead...not sure how far your going or if you wanted to share locks then maybe.

l will warn you that l'm a novice but am a confident/ competent one ha, ha!

Angie

For all those heading to the Nene with plans, keep a close eye on the weather forecasts and water levels. It didnt stop raining yesterday in the top catchment area, and lots more heavy showers and persistent rain forecast in the next week.

Angie - We are going down to Wisbech and then The Wash. Keeping an eye on the warnings for the river.... rumour as it that Islip Bridge closed. We have been given a no. for Roy Smith (EA ) 07714064034 and told to check for updates with him each morning. Keep in touch and we can share then great.

Leon been in touch ... so we have arranged for 12 tomorrow in principal but will ring Roy before we set off.

Hello there, we did the arm in just over 4 hours today and went onto Northampton Boat club just over an hour later. Am planning on leaving there at 10 Saturday morning, river levels permitting. Let me know if you want to share the locks will be happy to help.

hi thanks to all for help and advice.

Still waters - would love to share locks (weather Permitting) ...we'll keep in touch

why we are doing the Wash............ Our fourth katy ... (our daughter is katy/ my eldest son's partner is Katy/my middle son's wife is Katy and my favourite Katy is the girl who calls me her second mum who used to work for me) lives in Lincoln and we promised we would visit...so we go down the Northampton Arm.. check in for diesel clean/service/discover a leak on header tank/buy add. licence/pay for pilot and help on northampton leg/ book into marina to see how river is flowing ... give here a eta and guess what she is running in a 50 mile charity run when we (hopefully) get there! So several several hundreds of pounds later I am thinking why the hell did we not just pay for a limo for them to come to us!!! The last time she visited... she knocked a bag of coal over the front deck... put her woollen gloves on top of the stove... trapped her finger in the lock ... had one glass of wine and fell asleep ..... declared that she had a wonderful time and could she come again.............This time she is bringing her twin babies and a raf engineer based with Red arrows plus three dogs ...can't wait. And I love her to bits!

Yep just our luck... and weather forecast doesn't give much hope for this week. Worst case we will re book the later slot for the Wash or go via Trent and come back via The Wash............ I have planned round the world trips with less hassle than this!

what time is it Mr. wolf.............. just looked on www.gov.uk for update on nene.............. says still on ssa but updated 28th may 23.50 (time is 22.27hrs in Weedon) ...have I travelled to a different time zone or has the guy updated early and gone home early.

so do we give upon our 9th june slot our of dog in a doublet and go River Trent out and The wash back.... or do we sit and wait it out?

There's nothing wrong with Leon that I know of, just that he does look a bit dodgy. The first time I came down the arm he helped me all the way down, which I was very glad of cuz I was new to boating & it was getting late & dark.

As for an anchor I asked about this recently here
http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=66976

Sadly the red flags are out. I was planning on going down the Nene starting Tuesday. I may have to go & do a canal ring instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, just missed the boat (only just discovered this forum)

I'm available and currently in Northampton. 52, fit and healthy, low maintenance, handy on a boat and on the locks. Prepared to travel anywhere in the UK (and France).

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a diversion, but when you finally make it to the Northampton arm you may notice the ex-Otis lift tower In Northampton and wonder what the view is like.

Looking up:

lookingup.jpg

Looking down:

lookingdown.jpg

A work colleague did this to raise money for a charity - donations are still being accepted here.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

• 7 months later...

Ah, just missed the boat (only just discovered this forum)

I'm available and currently in Northampton. 52, fit and healthy, low maintenance, handy on a boat and on the locks. Prepared to travel anywhere in the UK (and France).

Cheers

Paul

Paul, are you still available, end of March?

ETA, not very optimistic, he hasn't been here since June last year.

Edited by Rich