No address

Bigredbus4468

Featured Posts

But never ever use the term "Care of" as in "C/O the address of friend or relative" because this will throw up all sorts of problems sooner or later.

Phil

Good point, forgotten the problems I had doing that a few years back

But never ever use the term "Care of" as in "C/O the address of friend or relative" because this will throw up all sorts of problems sooner or later.

Phil

Hi ya matey,

That's interesting !, is there a link or can you give a shortend version !. Didn't know that this had inherent problems.

I did try a search Bottle, but came up with pages of stuff, spanning way back,concerning 'Addresses' ,but could not specifically narrow it down or pick out the C/O problems that Sir Phil was pointing at. So indeed took my own advice and returnd to the board to ask if he knew the link, or the short version to explain or aid my search !. What's wrong with that !.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

One silly example from when I was living on a boat a few decades ago.

My address was c/o The Local Pub, as were all the others on the same moorings. I had to speak politely and in a humble manner to the traffic commissioner before he would let me have a PSV licence, as he was worried I'd be spending too much time and money in the pub, and couldn't always guarantee to be sober for work.

Nowadays, it will probably affect your credit rating when you want a phone you don't need to top up with credit at inconvenient moments or your Sky subscription..

My wife is a customer service advisor for Royal Mail. Royal mail ALWAYS deliver to the postal address, not the person or is for lol.

I always was given to understand that by law they had to deliver to the address and shouldn't really hand it to you if they met you on the garden path. Is this wrong?

I did try a search Bottle, but came up with pages of stuff, spanning way back,concerning 'Addresses' ,but could not specifically narrow it down or pick out the C/O problems that Sir Phil was pointing at. So indeed took my own advice and returnd to the board to ask if he knew the link, or the short version to explain or aid my search !. What's wrong with that !.

Nothing, glad you took your own advice, it just seemed ironic at the time as you did not mention you had searched. rolleyes.gif

I always was given to understand that by law they had to deliver to the address and shouldn't really hand it to you if they met you on the garden path. Is this wrong?

That is what should happen, and I have had valuable stuff go missing when the postman did just that to someone sitting on my front step. He handed oit to them, and as he went round the corner, they legged it with some Christmas presents.

I never heard whether the postie was disciplined, though.

Hi ya matey,

That's interesting !, is there a link or can you give a shortend version !. Didn't know that this had inherent problems.

Well we've been using C/O stated clearly on all mail and parcel delivery for several years now at several different addresses, I can't recall any problems caused by using C/O.

A "care of" address may well receive a delivery and if it's open office hours even better. BUT writing c/o in front of a formal address such as driving licence etc can cause problems if they think you are trying to become untraceable.

If you are technically of no fixed abode then any waiting for a court date could likely be done "on remand"

Using someone else's address means that for credit rating you share a home and credit rating - a problem for either becomes a problem for both.

Will you be Marina moored or CCing hence the thread (some marinas allow mail, like the one I'm currently at, most don't).

I must admit, I've had mail forwarding services for many years, I now use Friends, have had no problems 'Yet' but was interested by earlier comments.

I've been a livaboard for some 27years now. Never had mail problems or issues.

BTW there was a cpl of nice NBs ( if that's what your looking for) on the For Sale & Wanted board that might be worth a peek.

And the grape vine says, that there might be a cpl more coming up soon. Good luck.

Thanks Arthur. I want to sell and have no credit again aside from my credit card I already have. The sale of the house will provide money for a nice boat and about 60k in bank.

You should be ok then. As already stated its impossible to get credit at all with C/O addresses. My driving licence, insurance etc were fine with it but the bank ( who I had been with for 30 years) were ok till I asked for a loan. Saying that, they just asked me to drop the C/O and started to throw the stuff at me again. It seems your in an enviable position though so you should be ok