No address

Bigredbus4468

Featured Posts

Sorry chaps in being late back. The problem with using C/O is not with mail delivery but with things like getting credit in any form not just credit cards, things like a mobile phone on contract, maybe mail order stuff, anything you get on an account etc etc. I cannot recall all the problems it threw up when we first moved aboard (it was 14 years ago) but as soon as I realised I dropped the C/O pronto.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm ... this is my first post and I would have a problem ... I have no relations or friends I could use as my address . .

surely there is an answer ....

I asked at several banks and they do require an address under the money laundering acts ...

I'm retired so the gov will want an address ....

what is the answer ???

I know it's crazy isn't it. It seems you cannot live with no address. I don't want to be tied to a marina I don't think for a while when we buy the boat, but it seems that we will have no option other than to use a relatives address, and be on the electoral role. Otherwise it's no bank, TV license, boat insurance, contact phone and Internet.......

Hi ya,

And welcome to the forum.

If you use the search facility there is Piles of stuff relating to this, have a quick rummage then come back to the board if no luck.

Can not quite understand this post. Surely on that basis there would be very few posts can not think of many subjects that have not been covered at some point. Also things change and new people join the Forum who might either want to know the answer or might have a new slant on the topic. In my own case I use my son for my post and after 8 years being "homeless" I now receive very little post mainly Credit Card Statements, Bank Statements oh yes and HMRC!!

Hmmmm ... this is my first post and I would have a problem ... I have no relations or friends I could use as my address . .

surely there is an answer ....

I asked at several banks and they do require an address under the money laundering acts ...

I'm retired so the gov will want an address ....

what is the answer ???

I think boatmail.co.uk may help.

I know it's crazy isn't it. It seems you cannot live with no address. I don't want to be tied to a marina I don't think for a while when we buy the boat, but it seems that we will have no option other than to use a relatives address, and be on the electoral role. Otherwise it's no bank, TV license, boat insurance, contact phone and Internet.......

As I said in earlier post I have been "homeless" for 8 years not on any electoral role but still have bank and credit cards, took out a new phone contract 2 weeks ago.

As I said in earlier post I have been "homeless" for 8 years not on any electoral role but still have bank and credit cards, took out a new phone contract 2 weeks ago.

I do get it but you will not open available bank account with no address. If it's already open then fine. We don't get bank statements. Lloyds is brilliant all on line in one place including mortgage at the moment.

How did you get a contact phone please?

I do get it but you will not open available bank account with no address. If it's already open then fine. We don't get bank statements. Lloyds is brilliant all on line in one place including mortgage at the moment.

How did you get a contact phone please?

I can only talk about my own experience but last year I opened a new bank account with Barclays I simply use my mobile number as my contact number

Your credit rating cannot affect anyone else at the same address or vise versa unless you all have financial connections, i.e. you are married to someone at the same address. If you have been scarred due to someone else at the same address they are obliged to unscar you on request.

Using someone else's address means that for credit rating you share a home and credit rating - a problem for either becomes a problem for both.

Your credit rating is not down to the address you are living as this is linked to an indervidual. Although the address is used to help in identification. Having the same address with someone with bad credit will not bring down your own credit rating unless you have a financal association with them (joint account for example).

One thing this could affect is benefits and council tax discount as multipal people will be linked to the address. So for example if someone is living alone and claiming single person discount for council tax and then you start using this address it could lead to some issues.

One thing this could affect is benefits and council tax discount as multipal people will be linked to the address. So for example if someone is living alone and claiming single person discount for council tax and then you start using this address it could lead to some issues.

I just hate it when people give wrong information on something as important as this. Having someone use your address makes no difference to Council Tax or benefits.

I just hate it when people give wrong information on something as important as this. Having someone use your address makes no difference to Council Tax or benefits.

One thing I want to clear up on this is that you are correct on that this in the end this will have no impact but it could lead to an investigation by the council as to why you you are declaring single person discount but there are multipal people registered to the address. Experience on this will be very different accross the uk as different councils have different approaches to this.

One thing I want to clear up on this is that you are correct on that this in the end this will have no impact but it could lead to an investigation by the council as to why you you are declaring single person discount but there are multipal people registered to the address. Experience on this will be very different accross the uk as different councils have different approaches to this.

OK do not want to draw this out in the case of Council tax it is the person claiming the the single rate that makes the declaration, are you saying that Councils you deal with monitor the post being delivered? If that is the case then a simple explanation is all that is needed the same as CCers over 61 do when claiming Winter Fuel Allowance. In the case of benefits the same thing applies.

I have used a friends address for the last 9 years, no problems. If I am in an area or take a mooring for a short while, I use a care of address for deliveries and get my mail re directed. (useful if your "postal "address is the other side of the country).

Most stuff is done on line now, have opened another bank account and recently got a contract phone.

In fact when I explained to the bank they let me pick up my new card from the branch instead of sending it to my address.

Edited by pykebird

I have used a friends address for the last 9 years, no problems. If I am in an area or take a mooring for a short while, I use a care of address for deliveries and get my mail re directed. (useful if your "postal "address is the other side of the country).

Most stuff is done on line now, have opened another bank account and recently got a contract phone.

In fact when I explained to the bank they let me pick up my new card from the branch instead of sending it to my address.

yes forgot that part I asked Barclays to send my new debit card to the branch so I could collect and hey presto when I went to collect debit card they also gave me a Barclaycard that I did not ask for with a credit limit of £15,000

Edited by cotswoldsman

OK do not want to draw this out in the case of Council tax it is the person claiming the the single rate that makes the declaration, are you saying that Councils you deal with monitor the post being delivered? If that is the case then a simple explanation is all that is needed the same as CCers over 61 do when claiming Winter Fuel Allowance. In the case of benefits the same thing applies.

Ok don't want to go into much detail on this as I don't think this is the right place but for the example of single person discount the council can send a list of people who they think are fraudantly claiming single person discount to a credit agency who can then search for anyone else who is using the same address, then if someone else is using this address the names can be sent back to the council for further investigation.

Ok don't want to go into much detail on this as I don't think this is the right place but for the example of single person discount the council can send a list of people who they think are fraudantly claiming single person discount to a credit agency who can then search for anyone else who is using the same address, then if someone else is using this address the names can be sent back to the council for further investigation.

looks like we are going to draw this out!!! A simple letter to the Council will sort it out or even better a letter to the council when making the declaration will sort it out.

Interested to how you got a contact phone please. Pm if you like. Kevin

contRact phone, not contact phone?

Ah silly me. In that case not sure how to answer that except I turned up at the 3 shop chose the phone I wanted and then the package I wanted gave them my name and address they put all that into the computer out came loads of paper I signed where they told me and left the shop. That is when my problems started.......could not work the phone it did so many things (Samsung Galaxy) the lady then spent 30 mind setting it up for me and explaining and hey presto all done for the next 2 years

Sorry didn't know the spelling police were here!

Its not just spelling though, its a different word which completely changes the meaning - see how cotswaldman misinterpreted it. Misspelling where the meaning is still clear is a non-issue to me, but if it consequently changes the meaning, then I felt it better to try guess what you meant, to clarify.

Can you confirm you meant contract or contact?

Its not just spelling though, its a different word which completely changes the meaning - see how cotswaldman misinterpreted it. Misspelling where the meaning is still clear is a non-issue to me, but if it consequently changes the meaning, then I felt it better to try guess what you meant, to clarify.

Can you confirm you meant contract or contact?

He obviously meant "contract". He was replying to a comment where Pykebird says that she recently got a contract phone and he was asking how she got it. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure this out...

Edited by Delta9
  • Greenie 1