New Laptop

Proper Job

Featured Posts

I need a new laptop. The now 5 year old is dying

The array of choice is mind boggling

When running the lappy/recharging the battery, it's not via 240v and the transformer. It's run via the 12v and a maplins voltage step up thingamigig

Am I right in thinking that one particular make that will run via this way but not charge the battery. Or there are power/charging problems?

Just starting the process of elimination

Proper Job, on 21 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:Proper Job, on 21 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:Proper Job, on 21 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:Proper Job, on 21 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

I need a new laptop. The now 5 year old is dying

The array of choice is mind boggling

When running the lappy/recharging the battery, it's not via 240v and the transformer. It's run via the 12v and a maplins voltage step up thingamigig

Am I right in thinking that one particular make that will run via this way but not charge the battery. Or there are power/charging problems?

Just starting the process of elimination

ISTR Dell being mentioned on here in the past about being fussy about the 12V chargers they used and only genuine Dell ones will work. Of course the genuine ones are more expensive than the generic type.

I don't know if the new ones are any different in that respect.

ed. Some info here though - which would seem to indicate newer non genuine chargers can be got that do work.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63288&p=1215961

I think there is also an issue about Dells needing a voltage that is 'something point something' (possibly 19.5) and the Maplin thingy only supplies voltages in 'whole' numbers ISTR (if that makes sense)

Edited by The Dog House

What do you mean by "Maplins voltage step up thingymagig" ? You are talking about an inverter?

No, not an inverter. I regard an inverter as taking 12v dc and turning it in to 240v ac

This gizmo takes 12v dc and steps it up to various dc voltages above 12 (up to around 20v dc IIRC)

No, not an inverter. I regard an inverter as taking 12v dc and turning it in to 240v ac

This gizmo takes 12v dc and steps it up to various dc voltages above 12 (up to around 20v dc IIRC)

Oh right, I understand now. As TDH said Dell laptops can be fussy with those and so can HP. My HP laptop won't run from one so I had to get a cheap 90w inverter for it, but my Toshiba laptop runs fine from them.

I've had a variety of Samsung laptops and notebooks. Same common plug for all, and 19V, which seems common on generic adapters.

Dell are fussy and have a strange shaped plug, and I had a Toshiba which had a peculiar plug with 4 holes in it.

I have just bought a secondhand HP EliteBook 8460p, same as we have at work, very cheaply (£250 posted) of eBay.

Looks very nice, solid feeling, compact, good keyboard. Mine as a US layout keyboard, which is the only slight drawback, but there are UK keyboard ones on there, and I understand if bought the right keyboard (about £25) I could change it to the other type.

Daniel

What do you mean by "Maplins voltage step up thingymagig" ? You are talking about an inverter?

Oh right, I understand now. As TDH said Dell laptops can be fussy with those and so can HP. My HP laptop won't run from one so I had to get a cheap 90w inverter for it, but my Toshiba laptop runs fine from them.

The thing you are after is called a 150 watt Laptop Car Adaptor. They are available in Maplins (Maplin code A33HU) They are usually centre positive pin so check your laptop is centre positive. I run two laptops, both HP and they both work fine from them. They are variable output voltage from 15v to 24v in whole units.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

The thing you are after is called a 150 watt Laptop Car Adaptor. They are available in Maplins (Maplin code A33HU)

I already have one of those, my HP doesn't work with it but my toshiba does.

Edited by Delta9

Toshiba Satellite Pro.

Be warned, whatever laptop you go for, though, you have a learning curve looming in the shape of Windows 8.1. Don't believe all the bad press - once you've learned how to drive a computer again, there's nothing wrong with it!

Download Classic Shell and you can make 8.1 feel like the Windows you have known for years.

My HP runs (and is running at this very moment) off a Maplin Charger giving 19v. In fact, the charge is generally better than off it's own HP charger, which is why that one is left at Dad's and the multi-purpose AC/DC in/variable DC out charger goes everywhere with me, well, everywhere except Dad's house.

The panel on the back says the HP should have 19.5 but the half volt drop doesn't seem to bother it

ISTR Dell being mentioned on here in the past about being fussy about the 12V chargers they used and only genuine Dell ones will work. Of course the genuine ones are more expensive than the generic type.

I don't know if the new ones are any different in that respect.

ed. Some info here though - which would seem to indicate newer non genuine chargers can be got that do work.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63288&p=1215961

I think there is also an issue about Dells needing a voltage that is 'something point something' (possibly 19.5) and the Maplin thingy only supplies voltages in 'whole' numbers ISTR (if that makes sense)

I have a Dell with a genuine power supply. It frequently decides that it is connected to a different charger and won't charge. I suppose that I should be grateful that I can continue to use it on the boat supply. My next laptop will not be a Dell.

Most of the time I can reset the psu with a bit of wire but last night it was playing hard to get.

My Dell is a pain!

N

I too have used the Maplin widget to run my Dell laptop on board. The sales chap at Maplin asked "what for" and when I replied Dell laptop he said "oho, well here's your top tip - set it to 19v NO higher and turn it on, if it works, you're all set, if not, bring it back for a refund." Being at the time a (non) techno geek, I did as I was told and all was well. In fact, it's still working just fine.

PS I really mean it about the 19v....NO higher.