Can they be found???

Featured Posts

I for one really hope they will be found.

If they did manage to get into a liferaft, then I believe it's just a matter of time before they are rescued.

I have read non-fiction accounts of survival at sea where people has survived weeks and weeks. Catching fish and turtles, drinking blood and flesh. It happens.

I'm surprised the Americans called off the search so soon after their disappearance. Pity we don't have a Navy of our own to speak of, years ago there would have been one our ships 'over there'. Perhaps there are. But under the sea! Spooky.

Martyn

I for one really hope they will be found.

If they did manage to get into a liferaft, then I believe it's just a matter of time before they are rescued.

I have read non-fiction accounts of survival at sea where people has survived weeks and weeks. Catching fish and turtles, drinking blood and flesh. It happens.

I'm surprised the Americans called off the search so soon after their disappearance. Pity we don't have a Navy of our own to speak of, years ago there would have been one our ships 'over there'. Perhaps there are. But under the sea! Spooky.

Martyn

Our Navy is now so small we often don't participate in NATO exercises a few years ago I imagine we organised them.

I sadly think you're right. There's a Cutter on its way and two other aircraft. One from Canada.

Fingers crossed.

There's a lot of water out there. Tony Bullimore? was found after five days in his upturn boat. A badly injured finger was his worst injury.

Martyn

Our Navy is now so small we often don't participate in NATO exercises a few years ago I imagine we organised them.

I reckon we were asked to organise them. We were, and still are, regarded as soom of the best Sailors.

Perhaps it's good that we don't need a Navy nowadays. I'm not convinced.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

There's a lot of sea out there, but life raft very distinguishable all we can do is hope and pray.

Its difficult to understand why they called off search so early as i believe the men apparently capable sailors so more likely to react to a crises positively if they could.

Just seen that UK is sending a RAF Hercules to help with the search. Its a shame we don't have an aircraft especially designed for Air Sea Search's...like say a Nimrod!

Fingers crossed that they find them. Its a large bit of water out there

Just seen that UK is sending a RAF Hercules to help with the search. Its a shame we don't have an aircraft especially designed for Air Sea Search's...like say a Nimrod!

Fingers crossed that they find them. Its a large bit of water out there

or in my day, the Shackleton

There is a long thread on this on a forum called sailing anarchy.

They are very rude to each other on there, not a friendly place like this forum :)

The US coast guard assumed the crew were in the water as personal locator beacons were set off. Survival time in water in these conditions is about 20 hrs apparently.

I think the US coast guard probably do know about this subject and the crew perished quite quickly. Apparently the keel broke off the boat....

Its a US UK relationshionship thing now not a search for survivors IMO :(

It's seems odd that there doesn't appear to have been an EPIRB distress beacon activated. I am fairly sure they would have carried one.

To have called off the search so soon is also very odd. I wonder what the reason was that the US Coastguard felt they had searched enough to justify their decision.

ETA. Just saw Magnetmans post above re personal EPIRB activation. Still seems premature to call off the search. They could very well be in a life raft.

Edited by NB Ellisiana

If the liferafts were on hydrostatic latches (as I would expect) it is quite possible that people could be in the water initially but able to get to a raft when it surfaced. Trouble is sailboats have an awful lot of rigging for things to get caught in

oh! The Shackleton. Happy memories of the low ,slow flying Shackleton doing a mail drop in the Indian Ocean for us whilst on Beira Patrol. Must have been a good trip for the aircrew as well, all these hairy matalots cheering and waving at them.

Can't accept they not in a life raft. Thought they may have had a distress signal bleeping away though. All may well be revealed.

Martyn

I remember them (just) flying out of Morgan Powth when I was a wee lad! Though have clearer memories of the Nimrods. When I go down there now its seems odd sitting on the beach and only seeing the holiday jets fly in....

Apparently the liferafts are often stored in lockers or even in the cabin on this sort of boat

Which means if the boat turns over suddenly you have a hard time getting the liferaft set up.

The EPRIB may have been in the cabin when the boat went over, so crew end up in water and set off PLBs as the only option.

EPRIB need to be in a location where they can float off if necessary. Unfortunately yachts tend to have a lot of 'top hamper' :(

From the pictures it looks like the keel has separated from the hull.

I guess if that happens it would result in a pretty rapid capsize unless the boat was in very calm waters when it probably wouldn't have separated anyway.

So the keel snapped off. Exactly the same happened to a yacht a good friend of mine from my local sailing club, Jamie Butcher, was on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7125584.stm

It makes me worry - my son is thinking of getting into sail boat delivery. No matter how experienced the crew are if the keel snaps off, obviously the boat turns over in a flash.

Edited by boathunter

So the keel snapped off. Exactly the same happened to a yacht a good friend of mine from my local sailing club, Jamie Butcher, was on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7125584.stm

It makes me worry - my son is thinking of getting into sail boat delivery. No matter how experienced the crew are if the keel snaps off, obviously the boat turns over in a flash.

It was actually the keel bolts that snapped. Looking at the picture, there appears to be a bit of hull damage around the middle of the keel, which suggests a bolt or bolts in that area didn't snap, and took part of the hull with them. However on either side there are neat holes, which suggests either a clean break or that the bolts had become unbolted. It's possible they were sailing around with only half their bolts working.

It shouldn't happen that a boat should lose its keel, unless of course it hits something like a half-sunken container, in which case something has to give. Had that been the case, I would have expected to see more hull damage, but this looks more like something wrong with the bolts.

People who sail around the world tend to favour steel boats with integral keels. That way the keel can't snap off. Boats designed for racing are likely to be less robust, and more prone to accidents like this.

Very sad.

From the pictures it looks like the keel has separated from the hull.

I guess if that happens it would result in a pretty rapid capsize unless the boat was in very calm waters when it probably wouldn't have separated anyway.

As an expert said. It's so rare for a keel to come off. It's like all 4 wheels coming off your car at the same time.

They would have had very little time to react.

Brave Crew

Edited by Androo