Clarke generators (machine mart)

YamYam

Featured Posts

Anyone have any experience with Clarke generators from Machine Mart? They seem similar in spec to the much more expensive Honda but with a 1 decibel higher reading which I know is quite a difference but the Hondas are quite quiet anyway. Is it back to you get what you pay for or are they good value for money? Be used mainly for operating power tools. Owners thoughts please and thanks in advance

Also have a read of the reviews people have made - one I saw reckoned they were "ok, but a bit noisy" which is just what you are concerned about

Nick[/quote

Just re checked Nick, as usual didn't read the specs correctly, missed the crucial point one is rated at a quarter load and the other at 100% load and theres 8 decibels difference which I'm guessing is a jet engine :-). Memo to me, check facts before posting. Thanks for reply

It doesn't mean that the Clarke unit is bad.

It's just that if you want genuine 'quiet', you'll have to go a long way to beat the EU Honda's

The Clarke unit is probably a replica Chinese unit that has been badge engineered

It doesn't mean that the Clarke unit is bad.

It's just that if you want genuine 'quiet', you'll have to go a long way to beat the EU Honda's

The Clarke unit is probably a replica Chinese unit that has been badge engineered

Thanks proper job, yeah the price of them was leading me to that conclusion. Think its a case of saving the extra pennies for the Honda.

There's lots of discussion taken place on the Forum about the merits etc of various generators

Just put Honda in to the search box ;)

Thanks PJ, keep forgetting about that option. Not the most computer literate person in the world I'm afraid :-)

I've got a 2.4kw Clarke generator, had it for a couple of years now and it gives excellent and reliable service. Usually starts on the first pull, if not definitely the 2nd. Its also very economical on fuel and hasn't used any oil at all... which reminds me that its probably due an oil change as it runs for at least a couple of hours every week.

A friend of mine is considering a Clarke for his motor home to be. He can't rationalise the cost of a Honda, so I have suggested a Kipor as a good compromise. He still leans towards the Clarke due to price, but we'll see when he gets the motor.

I have the Clarke with the extra size petrol tank (11hrs of running.)

Works a dream.

£240.

If it's on the bow,you cant hear it at the stern.

I plan on building a box with some soundproofing around it, when I've worked out how to keep the exhaust/airflow free.

Anyone have any experience with Clarke generators from Machine Mart? They seem similar in spec to the much more expensive Honda but with a 1 decibel higher reading which I know is quite a difference but the Hondas are quite quiet anyway. Is it back to you get what you pay for or are they good value for money? Be used mainly for operating power tools. Owners thoughts please and thanks in advance

We bought one last year as an emergency measure when our starter motor failed and we needed leccy.

It lasted 5 days before failing! I took it back and got my my money back.

In this instance we were winners because it lasted long enough to tide us over the breakdown and then we got our money back.

On this performance I wouldn't trust them.

Bob

we went to machine mart to buy a clarkes generator, when we asked the assistant if it could be run 4hrs - 6hrs a day (liveaboards) he suggested we bought the honda, which we did. he said the clarkes one wasnt upto running that long daily,it says alot if the assistants are telling you to buy honda instead.

we went to machine mart to buy a clarkes generator, when we asked the assistant if it could be run 4hrs - 6hrs a day (liveaboards) he suggested we bought the honda, which we did. he said the clarkes one wasnt upto running that long daily,it says alot if the assistants are telling you to buy honda instead.

Not true.

We used ours for up to 5-7hrs powering washing machine (2kW) and desktop PCs......at least once a week, for about 8mths last year. Left it covered all winter, and then pulled the starter in Jan, and it started up again fine. I'm a happy customer, and at the price...if it breaks, I'd buy another I think.

Your not taking into account quality control, you might get a good Clarke one, but you can't be sure next time, whereas every Honda will be the same high quality.

Machine mart can change its supplier in China anytime they want.

That's always the risk when buying badge engineered equipment.

What can be acceptable quality one year can be sh1t the next - and they look like the same generator

Thanks for all your thoughts guys and gals. Looks like its down to the old chesnut of getting what you pay for and luck. It may be worth mentioning if you do buy anything at Machine Mart and leave your address they do the occasional VAT free offers on various tools etc which obviously can make quite a saving

A cynic might think it says the the assistant will get a much bigger commission.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys and gals. Looks like its down to the old chesnut of getting what you pay for and luck. It may be worth mentioning if you do buy anything at Machine Mart and leave your address they do the occasional VAT free offers on various tools etc which obviously can make quite a saving

yes agreed you can get a good saving on the VAT free offers but they do NOT apply to Honda equipment ( read the small print )

I wouldn't have one on my boat. Clarke is synonymous with crap.

:clapping:

A cynic might think it says the the assistant will get a much bigger commission.

and as said before "you get what you pay for"