Boat Safety Exam

p6rob

Featured Posts

Just a quick note to say my boat, Bimble Be passed it's Boat Safety test on Saturday.

I'd been sweating about the test, putting things right for the last few weeks, but thankfully, after discovering and fixing a gas leak from the hob, Nigel Carton passed it.

I'd not been aware of the leak, as there hadn't been any smell of gas in the boat and gas bottles last about eight weeks. Luckily it hadn't caused a problem and is now fixed.

This is the first time I've had to get a safety test done and found Nigel easy to deal with, helpful and pragmatic and would recommend his services. I'm currently between Bedworth and Nuneaton but Nigel covers a wide area.

Rob

Just a quick note to say my boat, Bimble Be passed it's Boat Safety test on Saturday.

I'd been sweating about the test, putting things right for the last few weeks, but thankfully, after discovering and fixing a gas leak from the hob, Nigel Carton passed it.

I'd not been aware of the leak, as there hadn't been any smell of gas in the boat and gas bottles last about eight weeks. Luckily it hadn't caused a problem and is now fixed.

This is the first time I've had to get a safety test done and found Nigel easy to deal with, helpful and pragmatic and would recommend his services. I'm currently between Bedworth and Nuneaton but Nigel covers a wide area.

Rob

hi, do you have his number at all please

Excellent, well done to you AND your examiner.

Do yuou mind if I take this opportunity to ask a question I've beern storing up. I don't think it's too hi-jacky because it springs directly from your experience here.

What is the on-paper rule about minor fails. Is the examiner supposed to give you chance to fix it on the spot?

Or are they supposed to say. "You've failed. Goodbye. When you've replaced that bulb, ring me to arrange the next test, and have your bank details ready for another full test fee."

I think he might do a discount for 2 or more booked at the same time.

Again, I think.... You can fix what you can while he is there, but Nigel told me he doesn't charge for a re test

My first test many years ago the guy issued a certificate and trusted me to do the minor repairs he had mentioned which I duly did but forgotten the guys details and lost that certificate. Bit annoying really, he really was a top bloke

The last test on my boat was done by a right stickler he went into every little crevis on the boat,

i'll never want another like him. detective.gif

How would you feel if a less conscientious examiner had failed to spot something dangerous, which subsequently harmed someone close to you?

Personally, if there was a problem I'd rather know about it, even if it wasn't covered by the Boat Safety Scheme.

The last test on my boat was done by a right stickler he went into every little crevis on the boat,

i'll never want another like him. detective.gif

I guess it depends on how you view the importance of the BSS

If all you want is a 'piece of paper' so you can licence your boat then I understand your comments.

If you actually want to ensure your boat is 'safe' (which is supposedly the purpose of the BSS) then surely you want him to check everything.

I was asked by a friend to help him do a pre-BSS check, I found 6 items where I could have failed the BSS,

They were minimal things (like the fuel cut off label was missing, single core cables cable-tied to the gas pipes etc) but as all he wanted was a 'pass' he wasnt concerned.

Without rectyfing the problems the surveyor came and it got a 'Pass'.

Sticking my head up here, I make the assumption that those who are pedantic probably are folks who have been "trained" by the system and really don't know much about boats - so they have to do it 'by the book' as they have no other experience on which to make a judgement.

The 'book' is poorly written (possibly because there are so many variants) so a lot is left to interpretation.

I've been lucky as 'my' inspector is / was (now retired, dammit) a qualified marine surveyor with years of experience - so knew what was material. He always carried spare stickers and breakable links for fire extinguishers.

There are many like him left, sadly.

Yes, if I'm paying someone to find problems, I want him to look everywhere.

What I also want is someone who is sensible about what he does with what he finds.

And someone who listens rather tyhan just ticks his boxes saying "I'm in charge".

There was that issue on another thread about battery terminal connections. One bit of paper says "crimped", but some guidance says (not a direct quote) "screwed is allowed, provided the load is spread by a strip of copper under the screws".

If the examiner hasn't seen the guidance, ands wants to fail my screwed connections, I should feel free to politely point out the guidance without worrying about upsetting the examiner.

How would you feel if a less conscientious examiner had failed to spot something dangerous, which subsequently harmed someone close to you?

Personally, if there was a problem I'd rather know about it, even if it wasn't covered by the Boat Safety Scheme.

Think thats a fair point, but apart from gas and fuel think alot of it is taking things a little too far. I realise alot is also advisory but as the compensation culture gets ever worse then things are only going to get even more stricter and more sillier

Good news on your experience and pass of the BSS,

I've always put my boats through the BSS, Even though I didn't and don't strictly need to !.I've normally found the examiners all have 'Their Thing' that they go to town on

Be it Gas, Ventilation OR Stickers!.

I actually agree with having such a test, but to be honest, alot can happen to a boat in the time between tests,so you have to ask yourself, how effective it really is.

I accept your point too, but if it's a simple choice between looking too hard and not looking hard enough, the consensus seems to be towards strictness.

Yes, agreed, think I'm still getting over my last test to be honest when perhaps strictness was taken to a whole new level. Still I've had 4 years to get over it :-). Think I'm just looking for a bit of fair play. I'm marina based due to work and only have a relatively simple boat systems wise so in theory not really that much to test, or so I thought. Had brilliant testers in the past, think I just picked the wrong one the last time.

Good news on your experience and pass of the BSS,

I've always put my boats through the BSS, Even though I didn't and don't strictly need to !.I've normally found the examiners all have 'Their Thing' that they go to town on

Be it Gas, Ventilation OR Stickers!.

I actually agree with having such a test, but to be honest, alot can happen to a boat in the time between tests,so you have to ask yourself, how effective it really is.

:-) Ventilation was the forte of mine Paul. In fact we had quite an argument over it. Nothing nasty, just exchanging views on previous tests but in the end as the remarks ended up as advisory seemed a waste of a good half hour of which ill never get back :-)

Yes, agreed, think I'm still getting over my last test to be honest when perhaps strictness was taken to a whole new level. Still I've had 4 years to get over it :-). Think I'm just looking for a bit of fair play. I'm marina based due to work and only have a relatively simple boat systems wise so in theory not really that much to test, or so I thought. Had brilliant testers in the past, think I just picked the wrong one the last time.

:-) Ventilation was the forte of mine Paul. In fact we had quite an argument over it. Nothing nasty, just exchanging views on previous tests but in the end as the remarks ended up as advisory seemed a waste of a good half hour of which ill never get back :-)

I had one examiner, that even measured the gaps around Both Cat Flap Swing doors, I kid you not !. Now that's dedication to the job.

I had one examiner, that even measured the gaps around Both Cat Flap Swing doors, I kid you not !. Now that's dedication to the job.

LOL. Can't beat that Paul, glad I wasn't there though. Think sniggering is not very polite. Closest I got to that was the minute gap between the sliding hatch and back doors. But once again was loosing the will to live by this point so left him to it

Is there an overseeing board regarding these BSS tests?

The reason I ask, someone I know recently bought a boat. Although they didnt get a survey done (recommended not to by the tester he said it would be a waste of money & all the important stuff was being tested & the rest they can see for themselves) they did pay for the BSS by the same bloke.
1 thing that came out of it was a diesel leak on the engine. Certificate was issued on the grounds this diesel leak would be fixed. The brokerage said they would fix the leak. So the boat was bought with no re-negotiation on price, & it turns out the diesel leak didnt get fixed.

The brokerage has since said both, that it was the buyers responsibility to fix the leak, & that they (the brokerage) had fixed the leak... Which they havent, it stinks of diesel.

Well the buyer isnt happy & is getting the run around from the brokerage. The buyer wants to take it further rather than having to pay someone to come & fix the leak (which should have already been done), & they have asked me to find out who is the governing body regarding these BSS tests.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Is there an overseeing board regarding these BSS tests?

The reason I ask, someone I know recently bought a boat. Although they didnt get a survey done (recommended not to by the tester he said it would be a waste of money & all the important stuff was being tested & the rest they can see for themselves) they did pay for the BSS by the same bloke.

1 thing that came out of it was a diesel leak on the engine. Certificate was issued on the grounds this diesel leak would be fixed. The brokerage said they would fix the leak. So the boat was bought with no re-negotiation on price, & it turns out the diesel leak didnt get fixed.

The brokerage has since said both, that it was the buyers responsibility to fix the leak, & that they (the brokerage) had fixed the leak... Which they havent, it stinks of diesel.

Well the buyer isnt happy & is getting the run around from the brokerage. The buyer wants to take it further rather than having to pay someone to come & fix the leak (which should have already been done), & they have asked me to find out who is the governing body regarding these BSS tests.

Im sure when it was BW there used to be an ombudsman of some sort. Think the number used to be on the certificates. Not sure if that has been carried over to the CRT