Cassette toilets

Featured Posts

Err! Apologies. Didn't realise it would open a can of worms.

A bonus for us is that the Marina we will be based at includes free pump out in the Marina fees.

I can't really comment on cassettes yet.

I am sorry to hear you have worms in your toilet.

Another advantage of a porta potti / cassette is that you can empty down them a standard domestic sewer inspection hatch. I have done this a few times (after asking, of course).

I use and swear by, Tesco Bio Washing liquid (£1.80) in the top tank watered down of course and Sainsbury’s Bio Power (£2.10) in the bottom. One mug of power to 2 ltr of water. Ive used it for 3 years its Cheep and smells nice. Both last ages.

As an added bonus I pour one cap of bio liquid (concentrated) around the bowl once a week.

Ohh I forgot,

There are two rules in Boating.

1. Never let go of your center rope
  2. Always use someone else’s Toilet.
  • Greenie 1

Hi - Donna and welcome

You have not asked one of the most important questions -"where do we empty it ?"

Cassettes should only be emptied at 'Sanitary Stations' (or Elsan Emptying points).

Ideally you would just be going past such a location as the 'cassette full' light comes on, you then 'pull in' and empty your cassette.

In the unlikely event that you are not passing a sanitary station at the opportune time it is either a case of crossing your legs until you do get to one, or, removing the full cassette and replacing it with the 'spare'.

With regard to 'chemicals' some folks sweaar by 'going green' and using a bi-friendly chemical whilst others just use the standard 'toilet-blue' available from all chandlery and caravan shops.

Identify the toilet model ( I think you will find it is DOMETIC and not DOMESTIC) and do a google search

http://www.dometicsanitation.com/International/

Or empty your cassette at public toilets. That's what I do, as CRT seem to make cutting grass for non-paying dog walkers a priority, rather than providing adequate sanitary stations for fee paying boaters

Or empty your cassette at public toilets. That's what I do, as CRT seem to make cutting grass for non-paying dog walkers a priority, rather than providing adequate sanitary stations for fee paying boaters

How many public toilets are close to where you boat?

I would have to walk miles to do that......

How many public toilets are close to where you boat?

I would have to walk miles to do that......

Just the one, very close to the canal. I'm usually a few miles from it though so I stick it on the front of my kayak and paddle there. Better than the 8 or so miles to the nearest CRT sanitary point.

Pump outs are better than cassettes. Cassettes are smelly, unhygienic things and should be banned.banned.gifrolleyes.gif

At risk of inviting endless comments. We have a Sealand Dometic Vacuflush.

Some advantages:-

NO smell, best system I have seen from this perspective.

NOT unhygienic. Unless you are very sloppy/careless emptying the cassette.

NO risk of large pump out tank failing (I'll let you think about the consequences of that!)

No charge for disposal

Is it perfect?

No of course not,

We have four cassettes and yes, empty them at every opportunity.

This is clearly more work than having a large tank and pumping out less frequently.

And if you are looking at a vacuflush, be warned its obsolete and few spares available (though this can of course apply to other systems)

Take a considered view before deciding........

Chris

Welcome, Donna.

Thanks for dropping in. As you've probably got wind, this subject often gets an airing. We normally force ourselves not to talk about loos too regularly, because it does get a bit stale when everyone trots out the same arguments for and against potties, cassettes, or pumpouts. But it's an important subject and you are entitled to want to get to the bottom of it.

No doubt we'll soon be engaged in the same old struggle, we'll have to see how it pans out.

We are posh on our boat, so we have a pumpout (pumpalumpa). But we did have a share boat with a potti (dumpalumpa) so I can give one word of advice - EMPTY IT EVERY CHANCE YOU GET! You will be astonished how heavy a full potti tank can be. Not only does the walk to the elsan point seem VERY long with a full tank swapping hands every two yards, but when you get there, the effort of lifting it to drain level seems superhuman.

A half-empty tank is much more pleasant (can't believe I wrote that word in this context, as I'm actually gagging at the memory) to deal with.

I discovered a very useful invention to deal with this issue. It's called "a folding trolley". Apparently they've been around for some time.

Anyway, I've been using my trolley to take full cassettes to various elsan points for many years without a problem.

Edited by blackrose

Pump outs are better than cassettes. Cassettes are smelly, unhygienic things and should be banned.banned.gifrolleyes.gif

Really ?

I have been on many peoples boats who have pump outs and I have to say that they all had a sewer smell (especially in Summer).

I have never been in favour of having a large tank of sewage sloshing about under my bed or where ever it may be. Now that's unhygienic to say the least....

Edited by Androo