Where to go for first trip?!

dazza666

Featured Posts

Hello all it’s my partners 30th birthday in a couple of weeks and I think that a narrow boat holiday will be perfect to celebrate it!

Unfortunately the vast amount of options available is frankly bewildering!

Basically, we like good food, pretty scenery and walks – what canal would be a good option for us?

The one potential issue is my partner suffers from claustrophobia and I don’t think long tunnels are going to go down well, do all routes have tunnels?, if so are there some that are short (I think ive read some that are 3 miles long) or is there the option for her to walk while I navigate the tunnel on my own

Eagerly waiting some advice!

Welcome Dazza, good food,scenery and walks is on any canal where are u based every one is different local to me is Trent and Mersey canal and not much tunnels here when are u looking for what size boat u looking for and how long u looking for and of course price u willing to pay there is soooo many chose from it's up to u what u looking for

Kim

Welcome Dazza, good food,scenery and walks is on any canal where are u based every one is different local to me is Trent and Mersey canal and not much tunnels here when are u looking for what size boat u looking for and how long u looking for and of course price u willing to pay there is soooo many chose from it's up to u what u looking for

Kim

That's what I feared!

We are based in London but don't really mind where we travel to to start the trip, but I don't want to travel to Edinburgh unless I really have to

There is just the two of us, so we don't need a boat that sleeps more than 2 - do we? I don't see any advantages in having a bigger boat, but I am essentially totally naive about the whole thing.

I was thinking of a max of around £800 for the 5 day hire, but I can spend more if required...

The Ashby Canal is a lovely little canal only one very short tunnel and no locks.

You can hire from here:

http://www.ashbyboats.com/

I shall check it out, thank you

A boat for 2 will be fine. Most hire companies do week hire, 3 day weekend and 4 day midweek. In all cases you will collect mid afternoon on day 1 and return by 9 or 9:30 on the last day. I would have thought out of school holidays this time of year 800 would get you a weeks hire of a 2 berth boat. You need to decide how far you want to travel, you will get lots of suggestions as to where, as basically there are lots of locations that will work

A boat for 2 will be fine. Most hire companies do week hire, 3 day weekend and 4 day midweek. In all cases you will collect mid afternoon on day 1 and return by 9 or 9:30 on the last day. I would have thought out of school holidays this time of year 800 would get you a weeks hire of a 2 berth boat. You need to decide how far you want to travel, you will get lots of suggestions as to where, as basically there are lots of locations that will work

interesting, that good to know. From my brief reading the Ashby Canal seems to potentially offer what we want - on the website mentioned above Ashly boats suggested route of Ashby and North Oxford to Braunston appears to be good for beginners with good food options along the way.

Plenty of nearby canals to London. The Kennet & Avon is a popular choice for many with plenty of hire bases to choose from. The Grand Union is a good one as well.

Edited to add: If you dont mind a bit of a drive, the Llangollen is a good chocie for those who want great scenery with little locks. It does have a tunnel in Chirk but not one of the longer ones. Whole canal is doable in a week return.

Edited by Cruising Mike

I would suggest the South Oxford canal which has no tunnels (though you can see where it/they used to be). Lots of hire bases around Napton junction which is at the north end of the S Oxford - does that make sense? - but the more southerly part is quieter and just as scenic. Boats from these people at Lower Heyford always look smart:-

http://www.oxfordshire-narrowboats.co.uk/index.html

A few pounds extra spent on a slightly larger boat will be money well spent in my view.

That's what I feared!

We are based in London but don't really mind where we travel to to start the trip, but I don't want to travel to Edinburgh unless I really have to

There is just the two of us, so we don't need a boat that sleeps more than 2 - do we? I don't see any advantages in having a bigger boat, but I am essentially totally naive about the whole thing.

I was thinking of a max of around £800 for the 5 day hire, but I can spend more if required...

I shall check it out, thank you

5 day mmmmm remember u lose a day as was said before u collect it in the afternoon after 2 pm and bring back before 9:30 am on last day maybe think of a full week it's not that much dearer a good way to snag a bargain is on eBay (lol surprised) the company near us do specials on eBay you can save quite a lot .....good luck and let us know if u come right....

Kim

If you look at latelink.com book, late for good bargain, gives you lots of options, and vary your boat occupancy to 4 birth as well, Id go for around 60ft with 240v

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have spent many hours reading up on each one of them

In the end I found what I think is a good deal hiring from the north oxford canal, it appears that I then have the choice to go north to ashby or south towards south oxford....

Of course the problem now is choosing what direction to go, it looks like if I go north of the route is a lot gentler and there's only four locks but if I go south there is 25 to contend with. What route is better, what one has better scenery, walks from the boats and places to get good food!

The boat is 58 foot long which I think is going to be a bit big for first timers frankly but it does have 240 volts and so on which some of the smaller ones didn't appear to have.

Does anyone know a good book for that stretch of the waters so I can do some research on pubs, food and things to do on route etc?

There may be more locks on the South section but it is, in my opinion, a far better experience than going North in every respect.

You will find that doing locks is actually one of the most pleasant aspects of canal cruising (unless the weather is really bad) as you get to meet other boaters which is, usually, a pleasant experience and you will also learn more - places to visit, pubs to avoid etc.

The Nicholsons guides are a start, but if you like walking I would suggest buying relevant OS maps but don't wait until you get to your holiday destination it can be surprisingly difficult to get local maps when you are on a canal. The only problem with the Nicholsons guides is they are well out of date especially when it comes to pubs. But there are enough members on here with intimate knowledge of the area and I'm sure they will be along soon to offer advice.

Ok, remember that we are both completely new to boating, and there are only 2 of us. Is that going to be a problem with that many locks? We are fairly young so getting about isn't a problem but i'm sure ive been told by others that its a struggle with just 2 people.

Regarding walking, I have the excellent backcountry navigator app on my phone and have pre loaded the OS maps on there, so that *shouldn't* be a problem.

I will look at the Nicholsons guides, if the information is out of date however, would I be better off using the phones maps? Do the guides provide tips of places to go and do, walk suggestions and so on?

I suppose its a bit of a vote at this point, north or south! - What has the better food and walks?! and of course scenery!?

Ok, remember that we are both completely new to boating, and there are only 2 of us. Is that going to be a problem with that many locks? We are fairly young so getting about isn't a problem but i'm sure ive been told by others that its a struggle with just 2 people.

Our first trip we went the wrong way and had loads of locks to contend with and I can promise you it was not a problem actually it was brilliant I find the locks easy and quite fun we were also only two people and not once did we need any ones help don't let locks scare you nothing to it. We love locks and that is were you meet other boats and get fab tips..... Just enjoy it

Don't worry about the locks. I had my honeymoon on a canal boat 37 years ago at about your partner's age. There were no problems. 37 years later 2 of us can still easily manage the locks.

Sounds like its got to be south then hasn't it!

does anyone know the best places to eat going south? I would like to have a good meal especially on her birthday, I don't know if there are any rated (Michelin or otherwise) along that route?

Sounds like its got to be south then hasn't it!

does anyone know the best places to eat going south? I would like to have a good meal especially on her birthday, I don't know if there are any rated (Michelin or otherwise) along that route?

Where are you starting from?

You can plan your journey to some extent using this tool.

http://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

"Plan a journey".

Try as a example going from Stretton Stop to Napton Junction.

Tells you how long and how many locks, bridges etc.

IIRC there are some decent eateries at Napton albeit it's (village) is on the Hill above the canal.