An introduction

Graeme Roche

Featured Posts

Hi All

I just wanted to introduce myself as, having just bought our first narrowboat, I expect Ill be looking for some friendly advice over the next few months/years.

The boat is a 2001 John White 50ft hull called John Lee Hooker which we recently purchased from Venetian Marine and have had transported down to Itchenor in Sussex where we will be bringing her bang up to date with new blacking, paint and interior. Here she is arriving yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLxcpsDZb-Q.

I would like to thank all those involved in getting her down to Sussex as everyone was superb. For fear of sounding like a drippy Oscar speech, I would like to thank, and recommend to anyone looking for services, the following people:

Zoe and Lee at Venetian Marine (Broking)

Sophie at Swanley Bridge Marina (Lift Out)

Keith at Heath and Watts (Haulage) great price and what a driver!!

Trevor at TI Engineering (Lift Off)

Ian at Southern Cranes (Lift Off)

Chris at Haines Boatyard (Storage)

Anyway, I look forward to spending time here on the forums and learning from everyone.

Graeme

Welcome to the forum, Graeme!

Pumpout or cassette? icecream.gif

I've been reading the forums so I am going to choose not to get involved in a toilet discussion just yet, but thanks for asking. :-)

Is that a Mille?

PS welcome.

What's a Mille?

Has she got Dimples?

Presumably the engine will sound irregular and you'll get extra beats where there should not be any.

(If you know John Lee Hooker's music you'll understand this).

Boom boom!

Edited by Athy

Presumably the engine will sound irregular and you'll get extra beats where there should not be any.

(If you know John Lee Hooker's music you'll understand this).

Boom boom!

So she's got a Bolinder then.

Well that's ok (it's not Jap!).

Why not, JAP made lovely chuffy air cooled engines, fitted to bikes and early Morgan cars.........

Hi All

I just wanted to introduce myself as, having just bought our first narrowboat, I expect Ill be looking for some friendly advice over the next few months/years.

Anyway, I look forward to spending time here on the forums and learning from everyone.

Graeme

Welcome, nice to see a NB in Sunny Sussex by the Sea.

Worthing to Itchenor is hardly one's back garden - as implied by the last frames in the video.

You missed the best bit - craining in. If I could work out how to do pictures I show you what I mean.

If the boat's going to be on dry land for a while, could I suggest that if you're doing the blacking (I assume epoxy is not possible in your location) then Comastic is the next best thing:-

http://www.spencercoatings.co.uk/index/products_bitumastic

If the boat's going to around for a few months, then you can put several coats on. That's what I did to mine and it lasted 10 years before it needed doing again (but I did put 10 coast on over a period of years). Usually the boat is hauled out, cleaned, coated and bunged back in, quickly. DIYing it means you can let the coating cure properly before the next coat.

Oh, and remove the propeller and shaft, check both and replace stern gland packing - that often gets forgotten and is (should be) easy to do.

Has she got Dimples?

Presumably the engine will sound irregular and you'll get extra beats where there should not be any.............

And the exhaust note will be in Eb, for certain.

No doubt the previous owner bought it to get rid of the House Rent Blues (that's enough John Lee Hooker - Ed)

Am sure you got a bargain. It was cheap to start with so any discount you managed will be a bonus. Bit of TLC and she will be fine.

Good luck.

We paid £24,000 for her which we were very happy with. Lots of TLC and she's going to look awesome. :-)

Why not, JAP made lovely chuffy air cooled engines, fitted to bikes and early Morgan cars.........

Welcome, nice to see a NB in Sunny Sussex by the Sea.

Worthing to Itchenor is hardly one's back garden - as implied by the last frames in the video.

You missed the best bit - craining in. If I could work out how to do pictures I show you what I mean.

If the boat's going to be on dry land for a while, could I suggest that if you're doing the blacking (I assume epoxy is not possible in your location) then Comastic is the next best thing:-

http://www.spencercoatings.co.uk/index/products_bitumastic

If the boat's going to around for a few months, then you can put several coats on. That's what I did to mine and it lasted 10 years before it needed doing again (but I did put 10 coast on over a period of years). Usually the boat is hauled out, cleaned, coated and bunged back in, quickly. DIYing it means you can let the coating cure properly before the next coat.

Oh, and remove the propeller and shaft, check both and replace stern gland packing - that often gets forgotten and is (should be) easy to do.

It's about 35 minutes so not too bad and Haines Boatyard in Itchenor have been so very helpful.

Yes, she be on dry land for about 4-6 months. Can you explain why epoxy would not be possible as I'm still getting my head round everything, and thanks for the advice on an alternative?

My dad is an engineer (retired) so I'm going to get him to look at all the mechanicals. :-)

I have a video of her being craned and I'm uploading it to YouTube as we speak so I'll post a link when it's done.

Yes, she be on dry land for about 4-6 months. Can you explain why epoxy would not be possible as I'm still getting my head round everything, and thanks for the advice on an alternative?

With not a lot of info: at the time and the shot of the lorry was opposite what looked like somebody's home, I assumed that lots (probably) of abrasive dust might not be welcomed.

Now that it's in a boatyard - that's not necessarily an issue - so, epoxy is a good idea (save contrary views from the porta-potti vs pumpout brigade and trad vs cruiser deck ditto).

Epoxy coatings are brittle and if you look at the spencer coatings link they suggest that Comastic can be used as a rubbing coat - As a topcoat on coal tar epoxies, to me that seems a good addition. You can't easily repair epoxy "in flight" , but a pot of Comastic can be used to repair the odd bang and scratch. As the boat will be around for a while, you can put a coat of Comastic on top for little cost - you own labour!

I'm sure somebody will be around to dismiss the suggestion, but think on't