Weedon Ordnance

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

After a recommendation last week to visit the plume of feathers at Lower Weedon we did, twice. Food simple but good and Tiger Bitter in good form. Couldn't help noticing the huge photo on the wall and then googled to find it was the ordnance depot with it's own canal branch.

Was it really at main line level or was there some kind of inclined plane or locks down to land level? I can't see anything on the web.

Not sure the canal is accessible but it is clear on Google Earth and accessible by road to the businesses in the former depot. The Ordnance depot closed in 1962 and dates back hundreds of years.

Just look in through the gates of the old Ordnance Depot and you can see the old branch - now pretty much covered in Water Lillies. The 'Portcullis' is also worthy of a look. When I lived at Weedon, I reckon where I moored at Concoform was fairly near to/on the line of the old arm.

It's just round the corner from Plume of Feathers. I stumbled across it yesterday by accident whilst trying to find the village shop. It looked interesting and I thought to myself I must find out the history of that place. What are the chances of a thread appearing the same day!

I remember having a look at it some years ago - a gate must have been open, so we just went inside and walked around. It's fascinating and I hope it has some form of Listed Building status.

The story I heard about it was that one of the King Georges, the third perhaps, worried about the threat of invasion by the French, wanted to establish a military stronghold as far away from the coast as possible, and Weedon fitted the bill. I don't know if the depot was there before the canal, but somebody on here surely will.

Edited by Athy

The Concoform basin is the original line of the canal to the Ordnance Depot. There was a bridge under the railway, but this was removed when the line was electrified in the 60's, after the Ordnance Depot had closed. The Canal opened in the late 18th and early 19th century-throughout by 1805.

There was an article in, probably, WW about the depot some time back.

Last time I was there IIRC the depot was about to be redeveloped into homes.

N

The Concoform basin is the original line of the canal to the Ordnance Depot. There was a bridge under the railway, but this was removed when the line was electrified in the 60's, after the Ordnance Depot had closed. The Canal opened in the late 18th and early 19th century-throughout by 1805.

There was an article in, probably, WW about the depot some time back.

Last time I was there IIRC the depot was about to be redeveloped into homes.

N

I understood that the railway bridge was of either the lifting or swing type, not sure which.

I remember having a look at it some years ago - a gate must have been open, so we just went inside and walked around. It's fascinating and I hope it has some form of Listed Building status.

The story I heard about it was that one of the King Georges, the third perhaps, worried about the threat of invasion by the French, wanted to establish a military stronghold as far away from the coast as possible, and Weedon fitted the bill. I don't know if the depot was there before the canal, but somebody on here surely will.

The story about it being a refuge for the king appears to have been a myth according to this article but nevertheless the site has an interesting and varied history.

http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Canal/rumbold.htm

Howard

It's just round the corner from Plume of Feathers. I stumbled across it yesterday by accident whilst trying to find the village shop. It looked interesting and I thought to myself I must find out the history of that place. What are the chances of a thread appearing the same day!

We were on the same water! I passed your boat moored near Buckby Top Lock on Monday.

Thanks to everyone for responding and for the PM's. I will try to spot the branch next month when I'm out again.

We were on the same water! I passed your boat moored near Buckby Top Lock on Monday.

Thanks to everyone for responding and for the PM's. I will try to spot the branch next month when I'm out again.

You wont be able to see the join!

It has been built over by British Rail and recently by new housing, but the original section went 'inland' through what is now the marina at Concoform (where we keep Dabchick). There is a considerable amount of information available about the Barracks (Google Weedon Barracks history) including a 140-page detailed history relating to proposals to develop the site.

There is a recently-developed (well, 10 years old) housing development at Cavalry Fields which abuts the Depot. Interestingly, this development mirrors much of the original architecture of the Depot.

There were plans to have the National Fire Service Museum here, but those plans were recently abandoned.

Much of the site is listed and I found a considerable number of links via Daventry district Council Planning Applications portal - too many to list here but gives you an idea!