clocks wrong

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

Just had a thought, they keep telling us that changing the time is to suit Scotland.....if they go independent can we stick with the same time all year?rolleyes.gif

I imagine the Government will be very firmly against them keeping the British Hour. They'll have to adopt a new unit of time.

I think the change the government has been talking about recently is to go onto CET (Central European Time), i.e. GMT+1 in winter and GMT+2 in summer as they have in France, Germany, Spain, Italy and various smaller countries. As opposed to permanent BST which was tried about 1968-1971. So far I think they're just floating the idea a bit to see if it would be popular, but I hope there's no change because any change can be a waste of business resources.

Politicians all over the world love to tinker with time zones to make it look as if they're doing something, but in reality if you don't like what the clock says you can open your shop or do whatever else at hours that suit you. I'm sure our farmers won't be milking their cows an hour later today. This is how Spain copes with being on the same time as Poland but well to the west of it.

The main thing that does matter is that schools try as far as possible to enable children to get in and home in daylight for better road safety, but the day is so short in Scotland in winter that darkness at one end of the school day is unavoidable.

Another consideration, especially in continental Europe, is that it's desirable for neighbouring countries to put clocks forward and back on the same day so that railway and other transport timetables are less confusing, and any other cross-border trade. This was why Europe standardised the dates in the 1990s; I recall that in 1980 Switzerland was a few weeks different from its neighbours. A classic example of this rule is that because most of Arizona (with exceptions e.g. the Navajo!) had decided not to use daylight saving, the state of Sonora across the border from it in Mexico followed suit because most of their trade is with Arizona. Some individual border towns in Mexico have a different time zone from the rest of their state for this reason. Our equivalent would be Gretna using English time.

I imagine the Government will be very firmly against them keeping the British Hour. They'll have to adopt a new unit of time.

The government is now firmly in keeping Scotland using the pound and GMT and always was. This is not another Cameron U-turn but a misunderstanding. The U-Turn misunderstanding has nothing to do with all the borrowings used for propping up Sterling. Which would become a debt belonging to what is left of the UK to service if the Scots choose to walk away. A debt that's nothing to do with Scotland who would be excluded from Sterling and using whatever flavour of monopoly money it chooses. Whoops...

Thanks G and F driving in reverse for 2 hours did me head in with all the beeping near misses so abandoned after.....about 50 yards really.

Then sat with all kevs advice written down and made executive decision...smiley face on clock looks so much happier then need not bother come October. Thanks all

I take it one of them worked thenclapping.gif

What I want to know is why my Smiths Rightime radio controlled clock is still on b****y GMT !!!

My mothers watch (which is supposed to be radio controlled) didn't change, then I discovered it was set to be manually changed, once I let it know which country it was in off it went and changed to the correct time.

Weirdly enough, my last phone would change it's time 2 weeks late, as did 1 of 2 computers both running the same OS, 1 of them would change it's time at the correct date, the other would be 2 weeks late like the phone.

Check which zone they are in. Sounds like one is misconfigured.

Weirdly enough, my last phone would change it's time 2 weeks late, as did 1 of 2 computers both running the same OS, 1 of them would change it's time at the correct date, the other would be 2 weeks late like the phone.

This puzzles me, because if your phone or PC was in the wrong time zone I'd expect that DST would be applied at the appropriate date for the time zone chosen. These dates are standardised in Europe but do vary elsewhere. If you'd set a computer date to be two weeks earlier than the real date, that should cause DST to kick in two weeks late, but it seems unlikely you'd do that.

According to Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffet, " It's 5 o' clock somewhere"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BPCjC543llU&list=RDBPCjC543llU

edit because I'm a numpty at doing links !

As he sang in the video about it being half past twelve where he was, apparently in the southern states of the USA and hence the EDT or CDT zones, technically it probably wasn't 5 o'clock somewhere, not 5pm anyway. There might be some odd country in the South Pacific using a time zone with an odd half hour though to produce 5am, can't rule that out.

Anyone remember the Goons sketch where someone asks Eccles the time ?

He answers "5 past three".

When challenged that he didn't have a watch, he explains that someone once wrote that time on a piece of paper for him and he'd carried it around with him ever since.

Edited by Kwacker

As he sang in the video about it being half past twelve where he was, apparently in the southern states of the USA and hence the EDT or CDT zones, technically it probably wasn't 5 o'clock somewhere, not 5pm anyway.

Quite true, and has been commented on many times. If I remember rightly one of Terry Wogan's TOGS picked up on it and it became quite an issue.

I'm not going to let it spoil a great song though.

I think mine has always updated automatically before and one poster mentioned that his updated after a while so I've been waiting hopefully.

However, it's now getting annoying and I can't sort it myself. Can anyone explain to a complete non techie how to do it on my phone? I can't even find my profile. Basic I'm sure.

I think mine has always updated automatically before and one poster mentioned that his updated after a while so I've been waiting hopefully.

However, it's now getting annoying and I can't sort it myself. Can anyone explain to a complete non techie how to do it on my phone? I can't even find my profile. Basic I'm sure.

Whats the phone?

If it's an iPhone...

Settings / General / Date & Time and change set automatically to be enabled (it's enabled by default), the Time Zone should show London then.

Edited by Robbo

Thankyou. It's an HTC. Time on my phone changed automatically. It's the times on canal forum that have stuck on winter time.

It's not your phone it's the settings under the fourm...

Click your name at top right of any page then My settings, it then comes up with another page for General Account Settings

On the page change Time Zone to "(GMT) Casablanca, Dublin, London, Lisbon, Monrovia"

and enable

• Automatically detect when my timezone is in DST
Edited by Robbo

It's not your phone it's the settings under the fourm...

Click your name at top right of any page then My settings, it then comes up with another page for General Account Settings

On the page change Time Zone to "(GMT) Casablanca, Dublin, London, Lisbon, Monrovia"

and enable

• Automatically detect when my timezone is in DST

Thankyou so much for your help. I'm finally there-on the current time. You wouldn't believe how thrilled I am to finally have it sorted. You probably wouldn't imagine the difficulties I've had on the way. The first time I clicked on my name I managed to sign myself out of the forum. Trying to sign back in as my train came in I managed to mis type my password and darent re try on my phone in case it's like the bank and I wasn't allowed back in. Anyway, thankyou again for your patient help, I really do appreciate it.