Beta Marine BD3 engine

Featured Posts

I have my tickover higher after having the engine stall when a heavy load went on the alternator as I was approaching Glascote bottom lock

Strange. I haven't been able to stall this one, even down to 250rpm when the transmission starts to rattle. There's certainly no electrical load available on ours that could affect it, especially since the alternators couldn't provide enough output at that rpm.

Someone pleeeeeeese answer me question! Gagging here!

So why is it that ONE of the cylinders sounds louder than the other two?

Eh??

Easy. The exhaust manifold is a three-into-one and cylinder No two fires directly opposite the outlet, while the other two have to go around a bend each.

MtB

P.S. Just guess really, but sounds plausible dunnit!

Easy. The exhaust manifold is a three-into-one and cylinder No two fires directly opposite the outlet, while the other two have to go around a bend each.

MtB

P.S. Just guess really, but sounds plausible dunnit!

It does sound plausible, and matches what some other bloke thought, nattering on the towpath. It's also what I think, but I can't believe that a closer proximity to the exhaust pipe would make that middle cylinder sound SO much more prominent. Different tone, everythink.

I try to listen out for it in 2-pot and 4-pot motors, but I can't remember what conclusions I may or may not have drawn. It's after beer o'clock here!

Edited by Loafer

It does sound plausible, and matches what some other bloke thought, nattering on the towpath. It's also what I think, but I can't believe that a closer proximity to the exhaust pipe would make that middle cylinder sound SO much more prominent. Different tone, everythink.

I try to listen out for it in 2-pot and 4-pot motors, but I can't remember what conclusions I may or may not have drawn. It's after beer o'clock here!

You can find out which cylinder sounds so prominent by loosening the injector on each cylinder one at a time and see which one makes the remaining two firing cylinders sound roughly similar....

MtB

P.S. Mine had exactly the same thing, one cylinder sounding much more prominent. Another reason I disliked the engine!

You can find out which cylinder sounds so prominent by loosening the injector on each cylinder one at a time and see which one makes the remaining two firing cylinders sound roughly similar....

MtB

P.S. Mine had exactly the same thing, one cylinder sounding much more prominent. Another reason I disliked the engine!

Whoa! The one-in-three thing makes it sound like a much slower revving engine. It's nice!

I dunno about loosening injectors, if it's more complicated than a bra clasp. I don't want stuff squirting at me!

Whoa! The one-in-three thing makes it sound like a much slower revving engine. It's nice!

I dunno about loosening injectors, if it's more complicated than a bra clasp. I don't want stuff squirting at me!

Blimey I had to read that second bit twice, it sounded well-dodgy at first pass! :D

Yes loosening an injector is far more effort than a bra clasp :D

MtB

Blimey I had to read that second bit twice, it sounded well-dodgy at first pass! biggrin.png

Yes loosening an injector is far more effort than a bra clasp biggrin.png

MtB

Yeah, and make sure you don't get high pressure diesel going in through your skin either... that'll mess ya up !

Yeah, and make sure you don't get high pressure diesel going in through your skin either... that'll mess ya up !

Top advice. No, I think I'll continue to enjoy my mellow thumping and occasionally look at one of MtB's videos!

Er, on re-read, I should add that it's my engine doing the thumping...