How much bitumen for blacking?

Horsehorn

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

We're blacking our boat in a couple of weeks and need to buy supplies. How many litres of bitumen would I need for 3 layers on a 60ft narrowboat? Any any specific recommendations on the type of rollers or brushes to use? It will e pressure washes but not sand blasted beforehand.

Cheers,

Lucy

Don't really want to naysay others, who may have different techniques, but a 25 litre tin of say Intertuft 16 will do the job. 3 x coats.

I've blacked a reasonable amount of boats, my own 60' was completed with some left of a 25 litre tin. Don't think I'm really tight with the coats, especially not with my own boat as well.

You should be able to get coverage rates from the manufacturers. Rylard publish one giving the amounts required for different lengths of boats for most of their products. It very much depends on what you are actually using. A bodied bitumen like Rytex will require a lot more than a bog standard bitumen

Don't really want to naysay others, who may have different techniques, but a 25 litre tin of say Intertuft 16 will do the job. 3 x coats.

I've blacked a reasonable amount of boats, my own 60' was completed with some left of a 25 litre tin. Don't think I'm really tight with the coats, especially not with my own boat as well.

Agree with higgs, I usually average 3 coats with a bit left over when blacking boats including rubbing strakes.

Just finished putting two coats on a boat today, including gunnels AND walkway (top plank) to tumblehome. 3/4 of a 25 litre tin used-60ft boat.

Agree with higgs, I usually average 3 coats with a bit left over when blacking boats including rubbing strakes.

Just finished putting two coats on a boat today, including gunnels AND walkway (top plank) to tumblehome. 3/4 of a 25 litre tin used-60ft boat.

Is that with or without the baseplate?

3 coats and another two on the waterline = 25 Ltrs for 57'

I put it on nice and thick and give at least 24hrs between coats and 48hrs before going back in the water. For that reason I am usually on the hard standing for 2 weeks.

I don't do the base plate.

Edited by Androo

50lts might be a bit much, I have a big old pair of boats so probably use a little more than most, but if you do the base plate then you would use 40lts I think

If you buy 25lts you'll use 35 that's just the way it goes! Remember the base plate is the same as 2 sides.