NB Cragdale

Neil D

Featured Posts

I thought you had news!! We were talking about this yesterday wondering what had happened...!

I thought the same then Bones!

We were only discussing it yesterday but that was between the talk about toilets as I remember!

I guess the path to a result in any legal matter is invariably long slow and filled with mines along the way so we much be patient I guess

Living 100 yards from where it happened there are loads of rumours and whispers about it round here but I'd rather not comment until legal wheels have stopped turning. Except to say 'the geezer on the wooden knackers' had nothing to do with it.

This was suggested to me by a fellow customer in the village shop. When I pointed out to him I was said 'geezer' and learned about the incident through this website he still looked unconvinced. I'm just blessed with a guilty looking face I guess.

• 3 months later...
A boat with a bit of history at a bargain price . . .

I don't know what has happened to the 'culprits', but I know Cragdale was out of the water at Dave Thomas's at Braunston earlier this year and had its bottom done. I suppose it's now saleable - I didn't look inside to see what it was like.

to be honest im a bit pi55ed of with this, althow it was only a morning and 20 quids worth of fuel but we trecked for miles, blah blah and lots of people on the forum took a extended walk of the canal, but there hasnt been any updates. instead we have all been strung a big web of who knows what...

i did recive a thanks on the day but thats as far as it went, i suppose theres not much else one can do but it just gets my back up when people call on strangers for help and support, its then given but the story is bent...

Ross

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Firstly I would like to thank everybody on the site that helped in any way with the recovery of our boat. Also I would appologise for not being able to update the forum on what has been happening. Most of this has been due to the police enquiry (or lack of).

I have just Saturday 5th May been contacted by the officer investigating to say that their work is finished and we can now do what we like with OUR boat, so now can actually tell what did happen.

We as you will have gathered by now took our boat Cragdale to Braunston the first week of October 2006.

When we arrived at the yard of David Thomas we were introduced to a member of staff called Steve who would show us where we were to put our boat until it was to be taken out to do the work.

He told us to put it behind his ex-fishing boat on the puddle bank where he lived. This we did, returned with the keys and gave these and a deposit to David Thomas.

Between then and 1st November our boat was "sold" to 2 people from Desborough for a reported figure of £2,500 cash and £6,500 bankers draft.

This was by a person exactly described by the people as Steve, they described his boat exactly and gave his mobile phone number as the one that we and the police have. This was the information they gave the police officer when they were arrested near Foxton when the boat was discovered by Lisa the local BW patrol officer. We were in attendance when they were arrested and first questioned so know this to be a fact.

Steve was arrested and cautioned so we were told and was to be bailed to re attend in 1 month while bank searches were carried out along with other investigations.

We were then slapped with a section 65 (or similar) notice basically saying we could not remove the boat to the boatyard or take anything from it or really do anything, especially emphasised by the police we were not to remove the Torgen stove that had been installed!!!! (we are now the criminals). nor the old clothing, rotting food or needles or syringes that were laying around all over the place. We have a video of the inside and out after we got her back.

Eventually we were told that the people that had been on her were going to remove their belongings, 3 separate appointments were made before they or the police actually turned up, we attended each time.

They took most of their clothing and other things but not the stove or the needles, it was too heavy (we were told that when we got it out we had to return it to them as it was their property). Nor of course all the rubbish which we have had to pay to get removed.

The internal damage is vast most of the upholstery was muddy or ripped so we will be completely renewing all of it, we had already recovered it when we put her up for sale last year. They took up a perfectly good flotex carpet from the front cabin and laid an old lump of tatty carpet that curled up at the sides because it was not even cut to size, they laid this the length of the boat, even over the newly laid vinyl tiles.

They said they had had the Torgen stove with flue put in at a boat fitters, (if they did then the person who did it wants avoiding like the plague) no heat resistant insulation between it and the wood panelling and the single skin flue was touching the wooden roof panelling, they did use it and were lucky they didn't set fire to it.

We eventually were allowed to take her to David Thomas again to get the work done, this was done in January and she was back in the water in Feb this year, albeit still in a state internally.

Even then we were not allowed to sell her because "the case was not complete". We kept phoning and asking about what was happening even to the Chief Constable of Northants Police Western area, who quite abruptly replied that it was all being conducted correctly. The fact that we were told by someone at Braunston and also told the police that Steve had done a runner to Amsterdam were still ignored.

Finally we got a call yesterday to say that the case was being dropped as the CPS wanted more investigation including a formal identification of Steve by the 2 people involved and it was too late now to do this for some obscure reason. Don't suppose it's because he's run away !!!!!!

Will somebody remind me why Northants Police were at the bottom of the list last year. It apparently took 2 months to do bank searches and then the CPS sat on it for too long. Why are people losing faith in our police service?

We are now going to take all this up with our MP who was involved at an earlier stage last year.

So the final outcome is that no charges will be bought against anyone as no identification was ever carried out by the police, and apparently there is a time limit as to when this has to be done,when asked why no answer was forthcoming.

I will be getting the beers in as well for all those who helped as soon as she is either sold or I get paid out by the insurance company for the car accident I had 16 months ago. Hence the reason we had her up for sale last year in the first place and found out that the bottom needed plating, and hence the reason she was in Braunston waiting for the plating to be done.

Hope this helps to explain why we have been so long in giving you the information but as you can see until now our hands have been tied.

Alan & Sue

What a sad ending thanks to the incompetence of the Northants Police :rolleyes:

Good luck Alan & Sue and thank for the update.

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE POLICE......... YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

How can you say such a thing our Northamptonshire force is at least as good as any other . . .

How can you say such a thing our Northamptonshire force is at least as good as any other . . .

Well they are holding the league table.................

From the bottom.

No connection to the fact you have just moved Alnwick to Oxfordshire then Graham?.......... :rolleyes:

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE POLICE......... YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Why am I not surprised at all by this case? My shop is in Northants. - a few years ago I got burgled three times and every time the police response got worse! The last time my colleague dialled 999 when it happened and was told he would be called back as they were very busy!!! Forensics couldn't come out as it was after midnight and they'd all gone to bed! They knew who did it, but couldn't catch them even when we gave them the registration no. of their car!

I got as far as the Chief Constable with my complaints and got some email apologies, but no action and after a while your head starts to hurt from banging it on the wall . . .

The Leicestershire Police are just as efficient - I remember an incident a few years ago when a railway booking office clerk phoned the police to report two suspicious males, in camoflage gear, carrying rifles and crouching beside the railway. Very efficiently the police phoned back two days later to say that they hadn't had time to investigate it yet but were the armed men were still visible . . .

The Leicestershire Police are just as efficient - I remember an incident a few years ago when a railway booking office clerk phoned the police to report two suspicious males, in camoflage gear, carrying rifles and crouching beside the railway. Very efficiently the police phoned back two days later to say that they hadn't had time to investigate it yet but were the armed men were still visible . . .

:lol::o:cheers:

From 1947 until 2006 when John Prescott :rolleyes: changed the Fire Service Act there were required attendance times for the Fire Brigade. At least politician's have now managed to bring all the emergency services down to the same level.

Thank God I have retired........... But am I bitter? YOU BET!

I don't know what time constraints they are talking about. IIRC time is only a factor in summary only offences, of which those under the Theft Act are not.

It could be the fact that the person involved has now left the country so can't be identified we did ask this question of the police but no answer has been forthcoming.

It could be the fact that the person involved has now left the country so can't be identified we did ask this question of the police but no answer has been forthcoming.

Considering the furlore over Holly I'm surprise that this hasn't caused more 'ripples' on this site. I strongly suggest that you keep up the pressure on the police using every means to do that and be now very public in all your announcements. They won't be able to stonewall you over this forever and I believe compensation is due just simply for the gross inconvenience they've caused.

The very best of luck

King Learie

PS Remember all that dredging plant stolen from Land and Water in Leicester over last Christmas? The police just could'nt be bothered to look for it despite it being worth a quarter of a million. The guy from L&W sounded just as pi55ed off as you two.... :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...