Car parking near Buckby Top

Rog Davies

Featured Posts

Small car park CaRT next to lock. If just a short time and you tuck the car in the corner I can`t see a problem. It is heavily used when stoppages are on through the flight but that is not the case now so should be plenty of space.

EDIT top lock

Edited by valrene9600

While we are on the subject of car shuffles, does anyone know what Braunston Marina are like for caring what's in their car park? I do know of a few handly little spots close to the canal in Braunston, plus there is the Boathouse car park, but I need to leave mine for a week there soon and thought that small marina car park by their toilets/showers might be safer.

It will get spotted as hovering there for a week for sure as space is so limited, and that area is usually used by staff and people using the docks. You stand a better chance going into the moorer's car park over the catttle grid by the path that leads over Butcher's Bridge, but that is also sometimes pretty full with actual moorer's cars, and if it is or someone can't get in and they spot a non-moorer's car that's been there for a week, they are unlikely to be impressed!

Edited by Starcoaster

It will get spotted as hovering there for a week for sure as space is so limited, and that area is usually used by staff and people using the docks. You stand a better chance going into the moorer's car park over the catttle grid by the path that leads over Butcher's Bridge, but that is also sometimes pretty full with actual moorer's cars, and if it is or someone can't get in and they spot a non-moorer's car that's been there for a week, they are unlikely to be impressed!

Well we seem to have failed to "unimpress" anyone yet, using the moorers car park, but have perhaps just been lucky, (some "Boilerman" bloke has a habit of putting a van in there, so if I can I try and hide behind that! :lol:)

That said we have never pushed it more than a weekend, I think, and as it has usually been in connection with attending "Tim's old boat show", I have never felt embarrassed about doing it!

You could try parking opposite the pub in Old Watling Street (signposted 'Access Only') between the crossroads and the pub - secluded and unobtrusive as long as you leave plenty of room for turning into the private road Brewhouse Lane.

While we are on the subject of car shuffles, does anyone know what Braunston Marina are like for caring what's in their car park? I do know of a few handly little spots close to the canal in Braunston, plus there is the Boathouse car park, but I need to leave mine for a week there soon and thought that small marina car park by their toilets/showers might be safer.

Hi Junior

Daughter left a car at the Marina a couple of years ago - without any problem. Asked at the Marina office and paid a nominal fee for the week - can't exactly remember - but something like £1 a day.

Rog

We're a bit further south on GU. May be able to help with a car shuffle.

Well yes Alan, boatshow weekend and then around, they expect it! Also, bear in mind that at that time, if it was not boatshow weekend and the Boilervan was there, the marina would associate it with me!

I think anyone could get away with a weekend to three days in that car park, but a week without permission would be a push.

Edited by Starcoaster

We paid about a pound a day at Stoke Bruerne Museum car park.

Piece of mind.

Martyn

How did you manage that then?

It's usually £2.50 per day, and you are not supposed to be there overnight.

Recently they have got "funny" about use at all during event times, unless you are a visitor to the museum and/or disabled.

Stoke Bruerne is in my view one of the trickiest of the places to leave a car without upsetting anyone.

(Perhaps there is a £25 charge for any overstaying! :lol:)

We went into the shop bit and asked. Got a proper ticket to put in the car. This was August 2012. Not long ago.

Fairly certain it was £1 a night or there abouts. It wouldn't have been much more or I wouldn't have paid it, and parked down the bottom of the locks where a road crosses the canal.

Martyn

We went into the shop bit and asked. Got a proper ticket to put in the car. This was August 2012. Not long ago.

Fairly certain it was £1 a night or there abouts. It wouldn't have been much more or I wouldn't have paid it, and parked down the bottom of the locks where a road crosses the canal.

Martyn

Ah yes, OK.

Overnight a lesser charge applies, but daytime hours it is £2.50, or thereabouts, and you are supposed to vacate by 18:00, or pay the additional overnight charge, I think.

Now I'm doubting myself.

I will ask my son. He was driving one of our cars at the time and spent a week with us. We travelled back in the other car to pick up the other car, you get the gist.

Watch this space.

Martyn

It was still there half an hour ago when I left my car there!!

There is parking at the pub, but fairly limited, and quite a lot of the customers come in cars.

Out of interest, where are you shuffling from?

Yardley Gobian to UCC Dry Dock - I need my bottom scraping!

Hi Junior

Daughter left a car at the Marina a couple of years ago - without any problem. Asked at the Marina office and paid a nominal fee for the week - can't exactly remember - but something like £1 a day.

Rog

We're a bit further south on GU. May be able to help with a car shuffle.

Many thanks for the offer, but a friend is joining us so we'll be able to do the two-car shuffle in advance. Cheers.

Thanks to all for the advice. Sorted.cheers.gif