Lockmaster windlass

Neil2

Featured Posts

That will be the one many of us have picked up over the years I'm guessing!

I did again a few weeks ago, to see if by any chance it was a different one, because I thought I had read they had now reduced the weight, but this one still weighed a ton, so no evidence it wasn't still the one I picked up a long while back.

I have to say it was not me who was uncompromisingly rude about it - that was down to the person working for the chandlery that is allegedly trying to sell it for the price of maybe a dozen more normal windlasses.

I think if the OP went out boating for a week (or even a day) using only one of their own Lockmaster windlasses, they would discover its shortcomings far more effectively than any of us can describe here.

MtB

I think if the OP went out boating for a week (or even a day) using only one of their own Lockmaster windlasses, they would discover its shortcomings far more effectively than any of us can describe here.

MtB

We have had a Lockmaster for a couple of years. My wife does all the lock work and occasionally she comes across a lock where the paddles are extremely stiff and sheer hard work. She would then swap the more normal windlass for the Lockmaster and this, with the handle extended makes it much easier to raise a reluctant paddle.

It is too heavy for normal use but does come in handy at times. I suspect its usefulness increases with your birthday count.

I think that about sums it up.

Trouble is, when you're at the paddle and it's just heavy, do you give in and walk back to the boat to get the heavy Lockmaster or do you carry on struggling as with the ordinary windlass, as with extra effort you can just about do it?

smile.png

MtB

P.S. Now what would be really useful would be a LockMaster lock gate operating device, for people single handing through Somerton Deep lock. Because I can't close that bottom gate on my own!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen, about the weight. We are a small family run company so that's why we try to talk to people personally about their experiences and take their thoughts on-board (excuse the pun!).

The only thing I would say about the weight of the LockMaster is that we were hyper-aware, with both an extendable arm and a ratchet mechanism, that every part of the tool needs to be very strong and rugged to avoid shearing or fracturing and we have had good success with that approach - but I do appreciate your thoughts about the weight.

As you might expect, MtB, we do use our LockMaster every time we open a lock. Indeed, it was designed by my marine engineer father for my mother to help her open locks on the Kennet and Avon. She kept getting stopped at locks with people wanting to know where she got it - that's where the idea came from.

I guess, as with any product, its ideal for some people but not for others. It was heart-warming to read a post by a lady on another thread in this forum that she considers her LockMaster to be her favourite bit of essential kit. We get a lot of emails to that effect too, which is really nice. Like anything I guess, it depends on your personal needs.

Beautiful weather for boating today!

Edited by LockMasterwindlass.co.uk

Trouble is, when you're at the paddle and it's just heavy, do you give in and walk back to the boat to get the heavy Lockmaster or do you carry on struggling as with the ordinary windlass, as with extra effort you can just about do it?

smile.png

MtB

The problem is that as you gain in life's experiences, i.e. get older, some things can become painful to do without help.

It isn't used often but without it we would probably have had to give up boating because causing considerable pain resulting from over-stressing somewhat creaky joints isn't worth it. SWWTL finds it extremely useful and worth walking back to the boat for on occasions.

But, I would agree, for everyday use it is very heavy. When you consider the force put on 1/2" socket wrenches it does seem perhaps it is a little over-engineered.

Trouble is, when you're at the paddle and it's just heavy, do you give in and walk back to the boat to get the heavy Lockmaster or do you carry on struggling as with the ordinary windlass

Much easier for the steerer to hop.off and help! Personally, we normally end.up with both of us at the top.and bottom gates anyway, so helping with hard paddles is easier.

Much easier for the steerer to hop.off and help! Personally, we normally end.up with both of us at the top.and bottom gates anyway, so helping with hard paddles is easier.

Snap!!!

When I started boating seriously, ie. after hiring for a few years we bought some adjustable windlasses where the boss actually slides up and down the shaft, so for a stiff lock you can get a lot more leverage, but for winding it down again you can have it very short. I think they have hung in the garage for about 15 years

When I started boating seriously, ie. after hiring for a few years we bought some adjustable windlasses where the boss actually slides up and down the shaft, so for a stiff lock you can get a lot more leverage, but for winding it down again you can have it very short. I think they have hung in the garage for about 15 years

No wonder you never use them!!!

MtB

But if you are single-handing there is no one else to help! So a lockmaster (or something similar) will usually get you out of trouble or you wait for another boat which may have someone on as challenged as you are!

Edited by Leo No2

But if you are single-handing there is no one else to help! So a lockmaster (or something similar) will usually get you out of trouble or you wait for another boat which may have someone on as challenged as you are!

Or just use a single paddle?

Richard

• 4 years later...

When lowering the paddle mechanism no change in the ratchet is needed as the pressure of the wheel is in the same direction. Holding the safety out of the way is all that is needed whilst controlling the downward pressure backwards until the paddle is resting on the stop or bottom.