Lost the top spot....

Wanted

Featured Posts

Just seen that CWDF is currently the 2nd highest ranked waterways site. Well done to Martin @ Pennines, a well deserved accolade.

I wonder if the recent boating program on t'telly has had a positive effect on boating in general?

Link

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/

(ETA - I have no connection with MC or the site just interested in others success)

Yes, but I didn't want to upset Martin Clark by suggesting it doesn't I think reflect reality!

My memory is that when Daniel tried adding that tracking site to the CWDF pages, it caused them a total overload, because they couldn't cope with the number of hits.

Unless something changed, I think the solution was to only add the thing that does the tracking to the highest level pages in CWDF, so it is only visiting them that causes the counts to rise.

I think as you move around the actual posts, and compose and post replies, all of which on any other siter would normally count as "hits", you are not being counted, because the relevant thing has (deliberately) not been added to those pages.

I suspect if Dan or his crew were to put te counter on every CWDF page we would again swamp that hits counter site, and again be told to stop!

(Not that Martin's is not an excellent site, of course, but I sincerely doubt in terms of pages visited any of the other sites come close to CWDF).

Yes well done Martin and also the CanalPlan folks for their increase.

Looking at Paul Balmer's analysis he does seem to attribute "Pennine's" spike to the West/Scales program raising interest in the Northern waterways and taking over the boat list must certainly have contributed to Canalplan's boost.

140323-9901-ukwrs-graph-600.png

Graph borrowed from Paul Balmer's site: http://waterwayroutes.co.uk....well worth a look.

To what can we attribute the remarkably steep drops in CWF viewing in May and December? Were there especially tedious and fractious arguments about toilet types and/ or continuous moorers in progress at those times?

To what can we attribute the remarkably steep drops in CWF viewing in May and December? Were there especially tedious and fractious arguments about toilet types and/ or continuous moorers in progress at those times?

All three dropped at the same time so more likely something wrong with the counting system?

(Although I do agree with your sentiments)

George ex nb Alton retired

No more likely the Waterwayroutes website was down or the figures weren't recorded at those times.

alan_fincher, on 24 Mar 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

Yes, but I didn't want to upset Martin Clark by suggesting it doesn't I think reflect reality!

My memory is that when Daniel tried adding that tracking site to the CWDF pages, it caused them a total overload, because they couldn't cope with the number of hits.

Unless something changed, I think the solution was to only add the thing that does the tracking to the highest level pages in CWDF, so it is only visiting them that causes the counts to rise.

I think as you move around the actual posts, and compose and post replies, all of which on any other siter would normally count as "hits", you are not being counted, because the relevant thing has (deliberately) not been added to those pages.

I suspect if Dan or his crew were to put te counter on every CWDF page we would again swamp that hits counter site, and again be told to stop!

(Not that Martin's is not an excellent site, of course, but I sincerely doubt in terms of pages visited any of the other sites come close to CWDF).

Interesting. Which effectively renders the whole thing rather pointless.

That's a bit like comparing visits to the various indoor shopping centres across the country but saying 'Ah but the Metro Centre in Gateshead can only count visits to Marks and Spencer, Debenhams and House of Fraser all the others can count visits to the less popular shops too.

(Possibly a poor analogy and I don't know if the Metro Centre is the busiest but it has been in the past - but you get the drift regardless)

I also agree on Marin's site too for somebody that spends time on the Northern waterways its a very useful resource.

Yes well done Martin and also the CanalPlan folks for their increase.

Looking at Paul Balmer's analysis he does seem to attribute "Pennine's" spike to the West/Scales program raising interest in the Northern waterways and taking over the boat list must certainly have contributed to Canalplan's boost.

140323-9901-ukwrs-graph-600.png

Graph borrowed from Paul Balmer's site: http://waterwayroutes.co.uk....well worth a look.

A couple of thoughts on this:

(1) CanalPlan is much more seasonal, to be expected because more journeys will be planned in better weather.

Conversely CWDF is steady all year because them as can't go boating talks about it (including me).

(2) If, and I do hope so, there is another series of Great Canal Journeys, could the intrepid duo please be sent around some of the least-used parts of the network to generate interest in those? Definitely not central London.

Samuel Johnson's famous saying about London was wrong; I say anyone who is tired of London has spent long enough there to understand that Croydon is nicer and far, far cheaper.

The two drops in score were cause by problems with the previous ISP used for hosting UKWRS.

UKWRS is now hosted free of charge by Waterway Routes. And I don't get any boost to my score for that.

I have a daily record of scores on UKWRS for all users since 08-11-09 so leave a comment on my blog if you would like information about others. http://waterwayroutes.co.uk/blog/category/ukwrs/

Paul (from Waterway Routes)

Didn't acting lose it's closed shop status in the 80s like all other industries?

You are quite correct the closed shop rule has been dropped but being a member of Equity is like having a good acting qualification.

It helps an accounts person to have A level maths, so Equity helps an actor.

:)

I know that we had a spike earlier this year caused by the rogue "bot" that semalt run which at one point was making 12 calls a second to one single page on Canalplan.

I blocked them because we want to make sure that as much of our bandwidth and server power is available to do what its supposed to be doing.... in fact Canalplan has quite a few things blocked in its .htaccess file.

Steve