Waterway Traders

DHutch

Featured Posts

I have created this thread to fill an obvious gap in available information on canal traders.

- I hope to build a table of traders and there details within this thread, which can then be amended with further information thought it life.

So to start.

Boat Name    Operator             Telephone      Goods Carryed       Trading Patch 
Gosty        Hill Iain & Alison   07913 761 871                      Oxford, Coventry and Ashby Canals.
Roach        John & Jenny Jackson 07885 284812   Solid fuel          Staff's & Worcs, Worcs/B,ham, R/Severn, Glouster/Sharp

There is also a list here which is of some use, but seamingly rather outdated.

- If members could confirm the details of the operators listed within it, i could also add them to our list.

Thankyou

Daniel

I hope to build a table of traders and there details within this thread, which can then be amended with further information

Daniel

Good idea Daniel... good luck with this

May I suggest you add what the traders are offering - eg. general supplies, coal/wood/fuel etc etc

Allan

Excellent idea. amendment to the old list though, Ivor Batchelor has stopped trading and Jubilee is working his old patch.

I would like to say this is a deeply sad loss to the boating world. Ivor, as he will tell you, has been working the canals since before the Great War and is as much a part of the working boat folklore as Fellows Morton and Clayton, Nursers or GUCC.

Though I remember when he lived on a Springer.

Seriously though, he was a familiar character on the Midlands Waterways and I'll miss him. Does anyone know if he's kept his boats?

Edited by carlt

Seriously though, he was a familiar character on the Midlands Waterways and I'll miss him. Does anyone know if he's kept his boats?

When I spoke to him in September he was still living on Mountbatten and Jericho. The tunnel houise at Harecastle was up for rent from BW at the time but he waas not interested.

There is also a list here which is of some use, but seamingly rather outdated.

- If members could confirm the details of the operators listed within it, i could also add them to our list.

I don't see the point of re-inventing the wheel, Daniel. That list was put together using information supplied by a number of people. If you noticed that something was out of date, why didn't you send corrections using the email link on that page?

Simon Robinson has kindly sent some recent corrections which now appear on the list, so it is now more up to date than when you last looked.

Of course, if you want to make your own list on this forum, you are very welcome to, and I don't have any problem with it, but please don't complain that the list that I put up is "rather outdated" if you have not sent in any updated information that you knew about.

I agree with Martin,

I have just sent off a small bit of information, but now that part is upto date.

It's much easier managing one copy of something like this instead of two. Besides, people will already know about the exising page and will need to go about finding out about this list.

And, although they started off well, lists of other things such as places for kids, cheap meals, and various other things have just gotten lost within the archives of this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I have created this thread to fill an obvious gap in available information on canal traders.

- I hope to build a table of traders and there details within this thread, which can then be amended with further information thought it life.

WHY ?

• 2 months later...
Excellent idea. amendment to the old list though, Ivor Batchelor has stopped trading and Jubilee is working his old patch.

I would like to say this is a deeply sad loss to the boating world. Ivor, as he will tell you, has been working the canals since before the Great War and is as much a part of the working boat folklore as Fellows Morton and Clayton, Nursers or GUCC.

I have a photo of Ivor (somewhere) delivering coal to my boat at Thrupp, for John and Madelaine Forth in the late 80'

He hadn't stopped trading when we got diesel, coal and logs from him earlier in the 'summer' , 2nd Aug above Cholmondeston lock (what a mouthful) on the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie - his missus supplied us with the requisite items, tho, so maybe pedantics would say HE has stopped trading? She did say he had to go out to work to supplement their income now, as the boats alone no longer give them a living.

Ivor did deal with us himself earlier still when we were on the Trent and Mersey around bridge 138 in May.

He hadn't stopped trading when we got diesel, coal and logs from him earlier in the 'summer' , 2nd Aug above Cholmondeston lock (what a mouthful) on the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie - his missus supplied us with the requisite items, tho, so maybe pedantics would say HE has stopped trading? She did say he had to go out to work to supplement their income now, as the boats alone no longer give them a living.

Ivor did deal with us himself earlier still when we were on the Trent and Mersey around bridge 138 in May.

The resurrection of the topic from last year seems an ideal point to remind people about the list of waterways traders that I maintain.

Also, the most recent updates to the list were made only a week or so ago, so fairly up-to-date.

Of course, further updates or other information always welcome!

The resurrection of the topic from last year seems an ideal point to remind people about the list of waterways traders that I maintain.

Also, the most recent updates to the list were made only a week or so ago, so fairly up-to-date.

Of course, further updates or other information always welcome!

John and Madeline Forth also sell Diesel, I filled up from them earlier this year at Bugbrook on the Grand Union.

Edited by David Schweizer

John and Madeline Forth also sell Diesel, I filled up from them earlier this year at Bugbrook on the Grand Union.

There is a useful addition to Tixall wide in the shape of a floating pump out station which also sell coal and kindling, wooden tiller handles and other bits and pieces.

Would it be possible to let me have full details, please, such as names of boats, names of operators, phone numbers, etc?

Would it be possible to let me have full details, please, such as names of boats, names of operators, phone numbers, etc?

John and Madeline Forth are on Newdigate which John built himself about ten years ago. Their other boat Newbury, built by Braunston Canal Services, is either up for sale or has a new owner.

• 4 weeks later...
hi can you trade from your boat ie sell direct from boat ? good idea

Yes but then you need a trading licence, a lot more than a leisure licence.

Probably higher insurance as well, you would have to inform your insurance company.

• 1 month later...
with thanks tax tax and more tax

I know this is rather a long time after your last post and if you are still thinking of trading, make sure you have something people want on a regular basis. There are plenty of coal boats selling but I think only one boat doing pump-out. (where there is muck there is brass).

I trade in coal gas and diesel on the south oxford, and I love it. BUT if you trade you have to be there for your customers, a once in a while service is no good. I try to get to my customers every 2 weeks but for floods or thick ice and stoppages. This works out over the winter that each customer sees me once ever 3 weeks.

be warned....Traders are charged loads for their licence, require £4m for insurance and have to buy up-front what they are going to sell. Not least the paperwork and tax issues, you will need to be vat registered as well.

BW have just put my licence up 15% more than last year!!! For what??

Dusty

I know this is rather a long time after your last post and if you are still thinking of trading, make sure you have something people want on a regular basis. There are plenty of coal boats selling but I think only one boat doing pump-out. (where there is muck there is brass).

I trade in coal gas and diesel on the south oxford, and I love it. BUT if you trade you have to be there for your customers, a once in a while service is no good. I try to get to my customers every 2 weeks but for floods or thick ice and stoppages. This works out over the winter that each customer sees me once ever 3 weeks.

be warned....Traders are charged loads for their licence, require £4m for insurance and have to buy up-front what they are going to sell. Not least the paperwork and tax issues, you will need to be vat registered as well.

BW have just put my licence up 15% more than last year!!! For what??

Dusty

:P

Hi Dusty,

I posted some info on your boat back in the summer - thread at:http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...mp;#entry160053

I also met you a week or so after the photo and you were very helpul with advice about which coal to burn.

All the best

Ernie :lol:

Edited by Ernie

• 3 months later...

Am wondering if there are any working boats selling diesel on the Northern Section of the Oxford Canal as I am looking for around 120 gallons (yes, gallons) of diesel. I`d rather buy from a working boat than a marina. I can meet you anywhere between Hawksbury Junction and Braunston.