cabin roof & non slip finishes

Neil2

Featured Posts

The roof of my latest boat is looking particularly tatty and I'm tempted to redo it with a non slip finish.

Two questions:

Presumably whatever method you use it would be a hell of a job to remove it should you ever wish to, so does anyone think it's a bad idea and if so, why.

What are the favoured methods of doing this, ie ready mixed paint, mixing material in normal paint, sprinkling sand or similar over wet paint.

A great many boats have a non-slip finish to the roof - and if one's ever slipped on the roof in wet weather you'll appreciate it's a darned good idea.

It's not that difficult to remove when needed, use either a flap-disk or a scabbler...

Now, wether you use standard paint, and add a non-slip additive to the paint, or sprinkle kiln-dried sand to the penultimate coat of paint whilst wet, or purchase a ready mixed paint, is very much your decision - they can all work well. The most important part of the process is good preparation, and choosing the correct weather for the job.

Do it under one of the HS2 bridges bookings being taken now.

Wilkinsons did do a dry sand for play pits at £1 a bag.

Doing the roof can make it harder to clean so some people only do specific walk areas.

Prepare and paint the roof as normal.

Mask off the non-slip areas you want and abrade lightly.

Apply a thickish coat of gloss paint to these areas.

Pour on budgy sand (nice & sharp & dry) thickly.

Allow to dry, sweep up excess sand and save in a dry place for next time.

Apply another coat of paint.

Remove masking tape.

I asked the q because someone did warn me that it makes the roof harder to keep clean, but that's the only drawback I can think of.

Budgie cage sand sounds like a good idea, hadn't thought of that.

I had some success with sandtex or similar but that was on canvas and not steel. Yes it can be difficult to clean, it goes green along the edges so keep those plain gloss and also around hatches and vents etc. Beware of `floor paint`, unless it is exterior stuff water gets under it and it takes forever to get scrape it off, how do I know?, one guess.

We used these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Additive-Granules-Suitable-Floor-Paint/dp/B00AC1YYZO

They really are good, you don't need to keep stirring paint, these granules suspend in the paint so you get a really even coverage. I believe the granules are a hard plastic, at least that's what they look and feel like.

We painted the roof edges with it even used a roller and brushed out. the applied area has had another 4 coats of gloss applied and it's as grippy as ever. It seems a bit pricey, I bought a kilo, but you only need it on the first coat. I had half a bag left over which I then unfortunately spilt wasting it all. I would buy and use again though.

I'm not a fan of sand, it can come loose and you can end up walking it into and scratching good smooth paint. These granules aren't as abrasive but still have the required grip.

Julynian, these sound like the same sort of granules we used to add to paint for our decks on our previous boat, a GRP cruiser. Excellent non-slip properties and long lasting, beats sand hands down everybody on the Broads used this stuff as it was specially developed for boat decks, sand belongs in budgies cages and kiddies sandpits.

Phil

Julynian, these sound like the same sort of granules we used to add to paint for our decks on our previous boat, a GRP cruiser. Excellent non-slip properties and long lasting, beats sand hands down everybody on the Broads used this stuff as it was specially developed for boat decks, sand belongs in budgies cages and kiddies sandpits.

Phil

Totally agree smile.png

Prepare and paint the roof as normal.

Mask off the non-slip areas you want and abrade lightly.

Apply a thickish coat of gloss paint to these areas.

Pour on budgy sand (nice & sharp & dry) thickly.

Allow to dry, sweep up excess sand and save in a dry place for next time.

Apply another coat of paint.

Remove masking tape.

As above but I used crushed oyster shells available from a feed store. Used for hens, Very cheap, very sharp and good consistent grain size.

I think any of that anti slip stuff looks horrid and even horrider when dirty. Often done I expect to camouflage uneveness or mucky roof welds. Even a gloss finish is not slippery as long as its washed regularly and kept free of dirt and algae that cause it to be slippery when wet and you wear suitable footwear.

Regarding cleaning non-slip painted surfaces be it a roof or decks I would reccomend using the right product developed for this. As my previous post indicated we had non-slip decks that we walked on many times a day as we lived aboard together with 4 dogs.

We used Starbrite Foaming Deck Wash which is easy and quick to use and kept the decks spotless.

Phil

I can't think if I've ever seen a NB roof done with the pre prepared stuff, but any comments I've found haven't been too complimentary. Nonetheless those granules are cheap enough to do a bit of experimenting, and I can see a trip to the pet shop being called for as well.

After various attempts, I have settled for garage floor paint on the roof. I like the International brand, which is hard wearing and has a none slip quality. (Wilkinson's, Homebase etc.)

While we're on the subject, the Fairy is now 8 1/2 years old, the roof was done with anti-slip (sand) and originally painted dark blue but after a couple of years we repainted it off-white (alright then, magnolia blush.png ). We've repainted the whole boat since then so there is now a bit of a build up of paint on the sand and it's not so 'gritty' as it was, and there are also a few small rust spots that need treating. We've bought some more paint to do the roof again and I was looking for advice on the best way of rubbing down the sand without rubbing it all off, if that's possible?

While we're on the subject, the Fairy is now 8 1/2 years old, the roof was done with anti-slip (sand) and originally painted dark blue but after a couple of years we repainted it off-white (alright then, magnolia blush.png ). We've repainted the whole boat since then so there is now a bit of a build up of paint on the sand and it's not so 'gritty' as it was, and there are also a few small rust spots that need treating. We've bought some more paint to do the roof again and I was looking for advice on the best way of rubbing down the sand without rubbing it all off, if that's possible?

i used sugar soap. Paul

There's an international wipe on primer which we've use several times now. Did our entire engine room using this, no flaking or loose paint anywhere.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/171268329610?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Sugar soap might well work although I've always used it on internal decorating and it's a very good cleaner degreaser prior to using abrasives. On gritty roof paint I would apply international wipe on primer after cleaning with sugar soap, it would probably be the best prep possible without the ability to use abrasives.

Edited by Julynian

I think any of that anti slip stuff looks horrid and even horrider when dirty. Often done I expect to camouflage uneveness or mucky roof welds. Even a gloss finish is not slippery as long as its washed regularly and kept free of dirt and algae that cause it to be slippery when wet and you wear suitable footwear.

Beware of housemaids knee if you kneed to kneel on the horrid stuff to do any jobs. And for heavens sake don't forget yer prayer mat if your thing is to face towards Mecca to pray. smile.png

Ps Keep the Iodine handy.

Edited by bizzard