Winding when it's windy

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I had some difficulty the other day whilst winding. It was a tad windy. My usual method is to do everything nice and steady. No great speed, no great engine revs. But the wind was making it difficult to bring the front end round, after having made my initial turn then my first reverse. I didn't hit anything but it was mighty close!

Is the simple solution to use loads of speed and revs when it's windy?

I don't think there is ever a right way in the wind. Sometimes it goes right, some times you have to pretend that you intended to turn in a very unusual way! Style it out! Look at the wind direction and try and use it if possible. If not maybe nose your bow to the bank and then power around. Everyone will have a different idea

Welcome to the world of boating!

You will discover 2 unchangable facts.

1. What worked yesterday, won't work tomorrow.

2. The more it goes wrong, the more people will be there to watch you foul up!

Weather does make movement variable. See rule 1

If I spell wrong. See rule 2

Bod

Not always practical I know but let the wind do much of the work if possible (there's a clue in the name wink.png ) This means letting it blow the bow around whilst controlling the stern with engine and tiller. Lots of speed will generally end in tears.

If on a river, try and start the turn facing upstream.

Not always practical I know but let the wind do much of the work if possible (there's a clue in the name wink.png ) This means letting it blow the bow around whilst controlling the stern with engine and tiller. Lots of speed will generally end in tears.

If on a river, try and start the turn facing upstream.

If the wind had been in my face as I approached the winding hole, yes, it would have been a doddle. Unfortunately it was from behind me. The wind prevented me from swinging the bow round much at all. Result, very very close to the far bank!

The trick is to turn into the wind, before the winding hole..

And make it up as you go along, and pretend that was what you intended to do all along. If you get stuck, blame the wind.

( I have been convincing people for years, that I know what I'm doing..)

It also depends on what speed controls you have, a Morso or simililar is pretty swift from reverse to forward, but you still have to go from one extreme down through slow -stop-slow-back up to forward extreme.

I find in very windy conditions my speed wheel in a good speed feathering between reverse-middle-forward with the push gear gives me far more control and torque against the wind direction - even in a 70 footer.

I managed a very controlled 4 point turn in a crowded Norbury Junction on Easter Sunday after Gnossal last year with a very strong and gusty cross wind, ....in fact I was well chuffed with it......lots of smoke from exhaust and for once with an audience, it went right.

The trick is to turn into the wind, before the winding hole..

And make it up as you go along, and pretend that was what you intended to do all along. If you get stuck, blame the wind.

( I have been convincing people for years, that I know what I'm doing..)

I like that advice, I'll try it next time. Unfortunately it wouldn't have worked on this occasion, as the winding hole was almost immediately after a bridge. But I guess if, generally, we start the turn earlier when the wind is from behind, we might stand a better change of not hitting a tree/ another boat?

If the wind is strong from behind, I might try to get the sharp end stuck slightly in the winding hole bank, so the wind can turn me rather than push me sideways. But in a wind of any real strength I'd probably fail to get the sharp end round enough to stick where I want it, and just get blown flat against the downwind side of the winding hole, and probably well aground.

With the wind blowing out of the winding hole, there's a temptation to do it completely the wrong way round and let the wind push the sharp end towards the towpath while I take the stern into the hole. If the wind is strong enough, this may happen whether I intended it or not. This never works because the winding hole is always 1 foot deep.

I agree that with most manoeuvers, acting like "that was meant to happen" is the correct face-saving attitude. But I can never quite pull it off with a prop spraying black mud, bricks, and dead cats at the trees.

... which leads me to think. Should boats with bowthrusters have to carry GB plates?

(Yes, I AM jealous, at least while spraying mud into the winding hole trees).

As others have noted this is trickiest when you have a strong wind from behind.

On one occasion (just north of Crick), when single handed in a very strong wind I had to resort to the following - the towpath (piled) was on the left and the hole on the right:

• stop on the left just before the hole
  • tie the stern temporarily to the piling.
  • run a very long rope (120 foot) from the bows, along the right gunnel, to the right of the tiller, and tie it to the bank behind the boat
  • untie the stern, motor forwards, steer away from the bank
  • when the rope goes tight, increase power and steer to the right as much as possible (not scratching the stern on the bank)
  • the combined effect of the forces will bring the bows round into the winding hole (if the rope is tied off in the right place),
  • keep power on and the wind will bring the stern around
  • once you have turned, disconnect the long rope before you get it around the prop...
Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Funny enough I was doing the very same on Thursday - hooligan wind from behind - stopped just before windy hole - gunned the throttle with tiller over and just about managed to get it round - I was blown (skidded sideways down the cut a bit) but what was annoying was two blokes popped up from no-where and tried to start a conversation about "three point turns and who made the boat" whilst I'm thrashing about.

The temptation to let loose with a volley of abuse nearly got the better of me.

Another time I had to reverse a full lenth boat into a mooring spot @90 degrees to the right - with a real wind going and there were loads of people watching. As I had a crew member, we tied off the bow rope onto the armco and wrapped a couple of turns around the tee stud. We turned the boat with engine power with the bow not moving an inch until the boat got to about 120 degrees, the crew member unwrapped the bow line and I reversed into the spot - the wind pushing me back to the 90 degree position. For once it went alright. Obviously only works if you got depth unter the stern.

Edited by mark99

I like that advice, I'll try it next time. Unfortunately it wouldn't have worked on this occasion, as the winding hole was almost immediately after a bridge. But I guess if, generally, we start the turn earlier when the wind is from behind, we might stand a better change of not hitting a tree/ another boat?

Yes, that's right. The other tip I would add - a bit counter to my normal practice in windy conditions - is to try and reduce your speed as much as you can before you start turning. Even a few gentle blips in reverse, if you can.

My point is that forward momentum is not helpful at all in this circumstance, not least as the wind is trying to increase it.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Yes, that's right. The other tip I would add - a bit counter to my normal practice in windy conditions - is to try and reduce your speed as much as you can before you start turning. Even a few gentle blips in reverse, if you can.

My point is that forward momentum is not helpful at all in this circumstance, not least as the wind is trying to increase it.

I agree with that, and in a situation as described I would come into the side, stop, then get off and give the bow a mighty shove - I reckon you can apply a much greater sideways force this way than if you were making way and using the rudder.

Scholar Gypsy's suggestion of using a spring is probably the best way though assuming you have something to anchor the line to. Of course sod's law dictates that there won't even be a section of shuttering let alone a bollard or mooring ring to lash a spring line to when the wind is really blowing.