both ways in tunnels ?

paneuro

Featured Posts

Except that some of those signs are wrong!

The Peak Forest (I think!) has signs on tunnels indicating "Two way working", but where it is clearly not possible to pass two narrow boats in the tunnel.

Or at least it was like that in 2012 - I guess they may have changed the signs since then - it would seem sensible!

Not changed yet as far as I know.

I think the problem has arisen because some bright spark (non boater) in BW interpreted things to mean boats can enter from either end, i.e. it is not a one way street. The fact that we interpret the sign as "both at the same time", seems to have completely passed over the corporate BW head.

George ex nb Alton retired

It seems a of of the tunnels "up north" have those two way working notices when they clearly mean one way, take it in turns. One in London also has a notice saying "No passing" which I took to mean no overtaking, not alternate one way working.

The tunnels on the Regents canal are one way working. Although they are wide at the bottom they slope in steeper than normal which makes passing in the tunnels dangerous. A friend of mine was seriously injured by getting caught out by the this and this was not whilst passing

Tim

I was fairly annoyed tbh. I told him that - when he'd sounded his horn - I'd thought he was in trouble so I had called the emergency services who were on the way over.

At that point, he seemed to start caring.

That's norty!

Filed for future use if required. Nice (green) one.

I've always thought "two-way working" was a little bit ambiguous (until you compare it in your mind with "one-way working", anyway). A bit like "inflammable".

Are there really Northern tunnels signed "two way" where narrow boats are actually meant to take turns?

It wouldn't surprise me : in Sheffield "while" means "until".

Hence all the fatalities at level crossings thaat say "Do not cross while light is red". It was a difficult to teach programmers how to write "Do While" loops too.

Edited by Clifford