Water in the bilge

Kb76

Featured Posts

If you saw a boat that you felt was just right for you but there was water in the bilge would you buy or would you walk away? The owner gives a good reason why it could be there and assures me since drying out no more water has returned, however Iv Been told it could have got there from various way and it could be very damaging! All thoughts are appreciated!

If you saw a boat that you felt was just right for you but there was water in the bilge would you buy or would you walk away? The owner gives a good reason why it could be there and assures me since drying out no more water has returned, however Iv Been told it could have got there from various way and it could be very damaging! All thoughts are appreciated!

And his reasons for the water being there were what?

We need a bit more info. From our experience I would find out as much about the problem now before it's too late.

When we brought our boat over a year ago we new there had been some water in the dry bilges in the past but there was no sign of it still leaking. A couple of months ago we popped to the boat unplanned and found the back of the bedroom about 6 inches deep in water.

It turned out to be the seal on the water pump, this could have been leaking for ages. The pump was in the middle of the boat and had been slowly filling up over the year section by section until it finally came out over the inspection panel.

Is it a cruiser stern and the water in the engine bay bilge or in the under cabin bilge?

heavy rainfall often enters the back deck of a cruiser stern if the drain channels are blocked and theres no cover over. Cabin bilge could be due to leaking pipes or pumps.

Whats the age of the boat? Is it designed with a 'wet bilge'?

The owner said his window was leaking and it rained very heavily when he went away for 4 days a few months ago. Water came in and must have gone in the bilge in the boat. The boat is a trad not cruiser and I think is probably being sold at what it is valued at without any major problems such as leaking pipes. Sydney dis you buy the boat you mention? What sort of damage and costs did the leaking pipe cause you? I have been told if leaks happen underneath it can rot the floor and you would need a new floor. What happened to you? The boat was made in 1989 Liverpool boat. It looks well maintained, this is my worry as of it is a leaking pipe this may not necessarily come up in the survey.. What to do hey!

Paul c, I'm not sure what water it was I'm afraid

The owner said his window was leaking and it rained very heavily when he went away for 4 days a few months ago. Water came in and must have gone in the bilge in the boat. The boat is a trad not cruiser and I think is probably being sold at what it is valued at without any major problems such as leaking pipes. Sydney dis you buy the boat you mention? What sort of damage and costs did the leaking pipe cause you? I have been told if leaks happen underneath it can rot the floor and you would need a new floor. What happened to you? The boat was made in 1989 Liverpool boat. It looks well maintained, this is my worry as of it is a leaking pipe this may not necessarily come up in the survey.. What to do hey!

Paul c, I'm not sure what water it was I'm afraid

It would take one helluva big leak for water to actually accumulate in the bilges after just four days of rain. I suspect he knows perfectly well where the water came from and thinks you are gullible enough to believe the window leak story. He may even believe it himself I suppose...

The usual cause would be a leaking stern gland, although I must say, New Boat Co used to tear their hair out with Liverpool boats and constant window leaks on the new ones they sold.

MtB

Kb76 - you raised this in a previous thread and the answer is still the same, it's bad news. There may be a perfectly innocent reason for the wet bilge, then again there may not. Experienced boat owners know that tracking down the cause of an internal leak can be a frustrating not to say depressing business and it's not the sort of risk you want to take on an initial venture.

Water in the engine bilge is a nuisance, water in the cabin bilge is serious.

It might help if you could explain why this boat is so "right" for you.

There are hundreds and hundreds of boats out there for sale, find one you like that DOESN'T have mysterious water in the bilge.

Especially true given it is a Liverpool boat. They were built to a formula and standard design to keep the price low. I bet there are a dozen identical boats on the market at any given time.

MtB

Once the source of a pipe, shower or pump leak is found, it is relatively easy to fix.

The source of a window leak can be time consuming to find, there's no guarantee it can be fixed and if you do fix it, it might leak again once the boat has been bashed into a few locks.

Rob

• 1 month later...

I have 2 leaky windows and do get a little bit of water in my interior but it isn't much and usually resides at the back of the boat ... I have a little hole there which I can shove my hoover down (WET/DRY Hoover) and suck it up..... I usually do this every 2-3 months and get about half a hoover full x x