TV Licence

manxmike

Featured Posts

The law is the law. If you don't agree with the law, there are democratic (and long-winded) ways of getting it changed. It is easier than it used to be.

However, it is not your choice (or anyone's) to choose to disobey that law. More accurately, if you choose to break the law, you must be prepared to accept the consequences.

Hypothetical situation: your partner or friend is suffering from a medical condition that can be significantly alleviated by the use of marijuana.To use it is to break the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act.Do you obey the law or laugh at miscalculated legislation and help your partner/friend?

Hypothetical situation: your partner or friend is suffering from a medical condition that can be significantly alleviated by the use of marijuana.To use it is to break the 1971 Misuse of Drugs Act.Do you obey the law or laugh at miscalculated legislation and help your partner/friend?

What does this have to do with watching Eastenders?

What does this have to do with watching Eastenders?

The point I was trying to make is that everybody has a choice when it comes to obeying laws, it is not as black and white as the quoted post suggests.I do agree that you should be very aware of the potential consequences.

Edited by JDR

The point I was trying to make is that everybody has a choice when it comes to obeying laws, it is not as black and white as the quoted post suggests.I do agree that you should be very aware of the potential consequences.

There is a Law and I can either obey the Law or choose to ignore it. Black and White

If I obey the Law i dont have to fear any punishment, If I ignore the Law I have to fear punishment if found out. Still Black and White

Of course.

But complying with the requirement to have a TV licence is an easy straightforward choice.

Deciding whether to break laws relating to drugs in order to help somebody with a serious illness is much less straightforward.

Totally disagree. Adverts ruin what few good programs there are on the commercial channels.

I have to agree with this,and award a green medal.I have 2 Tv sets indoors,which I have not watched for at least 2 years. i can watch enough programes on line, and with google chrome and adblock plus I don't wach any ad breaks.

I wonder how many liveaboards with televisions take the 'moral high road' and actually buy a licence? very few, I would suspect.

Wow, what a crappy thing to say. So as far as you are concerned most liveaboards are law breakers according to that. That must eat you up inside if you end up being moored near a liveaboard when you have to leave your boat.

I have a TV licence, it's got nothing to do with taking any moral high ground. Quite simply I dont want a £1000 fine, I cant pay a £1000 fine, I dont want to find out if they send people to prison instead if they cant pay the fine. Because of where my boat is moored, IMO the chance of being caught without a TV licence is very high.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

I have just moved onto our boat which has been covered by the licence on the house. Now sold the house, so have just tried to change this info on my licence. I only have the option to put in the marina address. They advise it will take 5 days to make the changes and the option is not there to view the changes on the licence. I have sent them an email asking how I go about checking that the info I have changed is correct only to be advised that they will respond within 3 days . I don't know now whether my boat is covered or whether I am licencing the marina.

Received a very helpful reply from the TV license people. However, in themeantime, I logged back in to see that I was in fact licensing the marina. I have changed my address again which I managed to do manually and my postal address , which is different from my location address so I am now all licensed correctly. I must admit though, the notes regarding whether you need a licence, I don't think are very clear. It mentions a boat but only as a second home.

Wow, what a crappy thing to say. So as far as you are concerned most liveaboards are law breakers according to that. That must eat you up inside if you end up being moored near a liveaboard when you have to leave your boat.

I have a TV licence, it's got nothing to do with taking any moral high ground. Quite simply I dont want a £1000 fine, I cant pay a £1000 fine, I dont want to find out if they send people to prison instead if they cant pay the fine. Because of where my boat is moored, IMO the chance of being caught without a TV licence is very high.

I suppose being a liveaboard in a marina makes it easier to be caught.

In the case of a Cont. Cruiser you could wait and see who knocks on the boat first, customs & excise for your false declaration of diesel use or the TV licence people for you not having a licence.

Just find something to do during the years of waiting. I suggest you just enjoy the stress free life of living aboard and treat it all as a tax rebate.

One life folks chill out and enjoy it.

• Greenie 1