Fishing at Braunston

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

Just before tying up outside the Boathouse at Braunston for the evening we were treated to a fishing exhibition by a certain Maffi of this parish who for our entertainmanment managed to catch the shovel that he had presumably just thrown in.

(Tongue firmly stuck in cheek while posting)

You mean here, one of my favourite moorings......

didn't see you either.

No, here - it is just about possible to turn in the stream that joins the canal at this point, between the second and third bridges north of Braunston turn

DSCF8122.JPG

No, here - it is just about possible to turn in the stream that joins the canal at this point, between the second and third bridges north of Braunston turn

DSCF8122.JPG

I have often been tempted to try and turn there just to see if I can do it.

• Greenie 1

I have often been tempted to try and turn there just to see if I can do it.

Go on, be tempted.

We are 56 foot (about). A 60 footer would be fine, 70 foot might be a bit trickier, esp if the wind is blowing in an unhelpful direction (the offside is rather shallow).

Turn early & keep your bows as far to the right as you can, as the water is deeper there. Satellite picture

The thing that puzzles me is why anyone would want to turn there, given that Braunston Turn is only about half an inch away!

MtB

It would have been handy several years ago when I had a blank moment and went right instead of left at Braunston Turn

The thing that puzzles me is why anyone would want to turn there, given that Braunston Turn is only about half an inch away!

MtB

Good question. We have moored at Braunston for the last 11 years, and it's a good place for a short trip. One can easily walk up the hill to the village.

If we have a bit more time, we turn on the other side of the Puddlebanks (Br 98) or near the main road bridge in Shuckburgh (Br 107)

Good question. We have moored at Braunston for the last 11 years, and it's a good place for a short trip. One can easily walk up the hill to the village.

If we have a bit more time, we turn on the other side of the Puddlebanks (Br 98) or near the main road bridge in Shuckburgh (Br 107)

If you are in Braunston is that worth starting the engine for?

Just before tying up outside the Boathouse at Braunston for the evening we were treated to a fishing exhibition by a certain Maffi of this parish who for our entertainmanment managed to catch the shovel that he had presumably just thrown in.

(Tongue firmly stuck in cheek while posting)

I did get it back though!