Instant water heater

Featured Posts

Despite stating on the recent survey that the boat I intend to view tomorrow had an aldi gas boiler and three rads fitted it now transpires that along with the 3 way fridge the current owner has removed them.

I am guessing a Morco instant water is the way forward and the choices are either one of the older models

Re conned off of ebay, or one of the newer models.

I would instal it myself/ connect to the gas supply along with the new cooker and 3 way fridge and then get a certified gas man to check/certify. The boat currently has a calirofier and I'm guessing a pump already in situ, as the heater will already be installed I don't see any issues with fitting a new one.

Any recommendations which model new/ sh to fit and anything I need to take into consideration given there is already a calorifier on the existing hot water circuit .....

A Morco is an instantaneous water heater, heating water only when you turn a tap ON. It can't be connected to a calorifier.

Rather than asking the board to spend even more time advising on a possibly non-existent situation, go and look at the boat first, then ask questions here once you KNOW what is installed, or not! Don't guess.

MtB

P.S. Forgot to say, from what you say, the boat now has no method of heating at all. This lowers its value significantly. I suggest you look at other boats instead. An owner taking out a heating system just prior to sale sounds like an inveterate fiddler and a flake, not someone I'd want as a previous owner of my boat!

• Greenie 2

A Morco is an instantaneous water heater, heating water only when you turn a tap ON. It can't be connected to a calorifier.

Rather than asking the board to spend even more time advising on a possibly non-existent situation, go and look at the boat first, then ask questions here once you KNOW what is installed, or not! Don't guess.

MtB

P.S. Forgot to say, from what you say, the boat now has no method of heating at all. This lowers its value significantly. I suggest you look at other boats instead. An owner taking out a heating system just prior to sale sounds like an inveterate fiddler and a flake, not someone I'd want as a previous owner of my boat!

OK

The boat is a four and a half hour drive away, so I am trying to do as much groundwork before traveling all that way and not knowing the answers to possible issues that I am coming across. It has an 2011 survey, which despite not being the most in depth of surveys has allowed me to ascertain that the hull is sound :) from what I can see in the pictures he has sent me, the damage he has caused with his DIY skills are more cosmetic than structural and I have negotiated a good price (subject to viewing) for a cash deal and given I intend to live on the boat I will be happier with all new appliances as opposed to older ones.

Other than its use as a 'back up system' from what you and others have said I am pleased that he has saved me the job of removing the aldi :) There is, as I said a calorifier fitted, heated by the engine or mains, I intend to reconfigure the kitchen and fit a 3 way fridge and new cooker anyway, so I'm assuming fitting the Morco to a bulkhead, cutting the hole for the flue and connecting is not rocket science, my concern is whether I can connect the Morco to the current piping that is heated by the calorifier. I would not be unduly bothered to remove the calorifier and rely on the Morco as I shower as opposed to bath.

There is currently a diesel stove fitted that I will replace with solid fuel

I share your sentiments entirely regarding the current owner, I however would use a different word to describe him, that begins with c and ends with t :)

Edited by huntergatherer

OK

The boat is a four and a half hour drive away, it has an 2011 survey, which despite not being the most in depth of surveys has allowed me to accept aim that the hull is sound smile.png from what I can see in the pictures he has sent me, the damage he has caused with his DIY skills are more cosmetic than structural and I have negotiated a price (subject to viewing) for a cash deal and given I intend to live on the boat I will be happier with all new appliances as opposed to older ones.

Other than its use as a 'back up system' from what you and others have said I am pleased that he has saved me the job of removing the aldi smile.png There is, as I said a calorifier fitted, heated by the engine or mains, I intend to reconfigure the kitchen and fit a 3 way fridge and new cooker anyway, so I'm assuming fitting the Morco to a bulkhead, cutting the hole for the flue and connecting is not rocket science, my concern is whether I can connect the Morco to the current piping that is heated by the calorifier

There is currently a diesel stove fitted that I will replace with solid fuel

I share your sentiments entirely regarding the current owner, I however would use a different word to describe him, that begins with c and ends with t smile.png

I see!

To keep the calorifier AND use a Morce you'll need to fit a three-way valve in the hot water supply pipework so one or the other is selected, but never both. Just to be clear, the Morco CANNOT be used to heat the calorifier.

Why did he remove the Alde (one wonders)? Does he still have it? Could it be put back?

I agree, he sounds like a right carrot.

:)

MtB

A Morco is a good idea for hot water. I think you would need a 2 way valve to isolate the Morco and the calorifier, and some means of remembering to switch it as necessary.

I would probably leave the valve on the Morco all the time, using the calorifier if I had a problem with the Morco - like running out of gas.

I hope it is what you expect after your long drive! I looked at a boat outside my distance limit, expecting it to be a bit run down, based on the pics and the price. We couldn't buy it quick enough, the survey was great, and I'm about to head off for a week in the Cheshire countryside.

Edit: I obviously meant a 3 way valve, and stand corrected by an expert :)

Edited by Richard10002

Oh it gets better than that, he has removed all of the original fitted units from the saloon and the bath, leaving only a sink

He also threw them along with a almost new 3 way fridge,

I have no idea why he has done what he's done, if you've got half hour to kill n fancy a good laugh, pm me your email and I'll send you the before and after pictures of his 're fit' :))

A Morco is a good idea for hot water. I think you would need a 2 way valve to isolate the Morco and the calorifier, and some means of remembering to switch it as necessary.

I would probably leave the valve on the Morco all the time, using the calorifier if I had a problem with the Morco - like running out of gas.

I hope it is what you expect after your long drive! I looked at a boat outside my distance limit, expecting it to be a bit run down, based on the pics and the price. We couldn't buy it quick enough, the survey was great, and I'm about to head off for a week in the Cheshire countryside.

Edit: I obviously meant a 3 way valve, and stand corrected by an expert :)

Thank you

Get a survey before you pay money. The survey in 2011 is not worth anything at all to you. Apart from being nearly three years ago during which time much corrosion can happen, it was paid for by someone else and there is no contract between you and whoever surveyed the boat, so you can't rely on it. Since then the current owner has done several things that sound to many on here as though there is no sense to them. What has / might he have also done to the hull? What makes you think he has maintained the underwater parts well enough for you to risk serious money with no supporting evidence?

Caveat Emptor!

N

He's probably done it because he's installed them dangerously and has a conscience, or an imminent BSS or possibly buyer's survey coming up. Sounds like he's devalued the boat (lets assume its value was based on having the equipment AND it being installed properly) and also turned it from a more/less complete boat into a project boat. Its time to re-evaluate if you want a more/less complete boat or a project boat. In other words, if you were searching for a boat and found this one with no kitchen units or heating etc, would you have considered it for purchase?

As has been said, the Morco cannot heat a calorifier, but equally, if you have a calorifier heated by any other means, (including the engine), you absolutely must not feed the hot output from that into the inlet of a Morco.

There are only two viable main-models of Morco, (if you ignore the expensive and impractical balanced flue model), the D-51 & the D-61, (any further suffix like "B" or "E" relates to the method of igniting).

The D61 (usually D61B or D61E, I think) is the current model. The obsolete D51 was visually near identical, but with a slightly lower output and slightly smaller flue size. It had various updates in its life, and for the earlier models parts are often unobtainable.

As a new D61 is only around the £200 mark, I think, (unless they have gone up a lot recently?), it really makes no sense to consider anything other than new, because even on a current model parts to fix any discovered fault are seldom cheap.

Thanks for the advice all

the boat was blacked/anodes in 2011, so my guess is the hull will be fine, he has refitted the bathroom and removed the aldi as he found it 'iinefective' as a scource of central heating this view seems to be shared by others too. I have priced in for a new cooker/ fridge in my budget and will re negotiate the agreed price to include the price of a Morco if I decide to go ahead and buy it.

I think it is quite commonplace for first time owners to make mistakes, he will have realised this by now to his cost

As a new D61 is only around the £200 mark, I think, (unless they have gone up a lot recently?), it really makes no sense to consider anything other than new, because even on a current model parts to fix any discovered fault are seldom cheap.

True, but Morco parts are cheaper than the competing Rinnai. I was charged £60 for a 'diaphragm kit' on my Rinnai before I scrapped it and fitted a Morco.

MtB

Whilst I agree that you should never feed an instant gas water heater with even warm water why can you not feed it from the cold system and feed the hot output into the existing hot pipes via three port valve so it is easy to select either heating option and it should only require the said valve, a T and a couple of pipe lengths.

Whilst I agree that you should never feed an instant gas water heater with even warm water why can you not feed it from the cold system and feed the hot output into the existing hot pipes via three port valve so it is easy to select either heating option and it should only require the said valve, a T and a couple of pipe lengths.

You can. This is exactly what I was proposing!

MtB