Cassette toilets VS porta potti'

tjderby

Featured Posts

My interpretation is,they are prettymuch the same thing.they both have an area that hold the matter until ready for emptying.some are built in,others are portable.Other than the end result is 'Captive' or locked away therefore more user friendly in a cassette type as it's just this part of the loo you take to the Elson

Do you mean Pump out vs Cassette.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I think he means just what he says, somewhat different to the eternal pump out vs cassette debate.

I've got a cassette in my caravan and a porta potti in the boat, not much to choose between them really . Both are easy to empty (and fill!) there wouldn't be room for a cassette on my Dawncraft 22 , unless it popped out of the side of the boat. Spare cassettes are available, not sure about the bottom half of a potti.

And then, for most occasions, there's the sawn off plastic milk bottle.........

Edited cos I read previous posts

Edited by Jim Riley

There are different heights of pottis, the taller ones having a higher capacity tank. If the smaller one is too low put it on bricks.

Nah, I'm good thanks, its only an emergency bog in case I cant empty my pumpout... which is too high & needs a step in front of it!

Edited by Ssscrudddy

TJ

Basically a cassette tolet is 'built in' / fixed in the bathroom and looks a bit like a coneventional toilet (just a bit) You have a flap in the wall into the next room or corridor where you pull out the full 'cassette', then take cassette up to the 'dumping station', bring it back - slide it back thru the hole-in-the-wall. Job done.

A Porta-Potti is a free standing 'cube' (big smart bucket) split into half horizontally, you go in the top half, open a flap and it drops into the bottom half, when its full you pull a catch and the top half comes off, you then take the bottom half to the 'dumping station', bring it back, click it back onto the top half. Job done.

Really the only difference is that a cassette is 'fixed' and a porta-potty is free-standing

Edit - maybe to make it totally clear - when you get to the 'dumping station' you empty the cassette or porta-potty, you dont just take it and bring it back again !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

lol just wondered if one was better. and i know the difference between pump out toilets and cassette toilets lol. Annie may as a porta potti.

hahaha one of the least nice jobs to do on a boat lol

You ask "what is the difference ?" when people have taken the time to reply - you then say Annie has a porta-potty so you already know.

They both work in the same way, the fitted cassette might be said to be more aesthetically pleasing in some ways, plus you can sometimes have them with proper ceramic seats etc. If you buy a porta potti with the larger tank volume, it is at normal bog height and has the same size tank as a fitted cassette.

I have a porta potti- it suits me fine. I wasn't sure when I got the boat if I would dislike the kind of "camping" look of it or find I didn't like the plastic seat- but ultimately I find that when I am having a shit, I am not giving a shit.

/ladylike

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 2

i wanted to know if either was better. yes annie may has a porta potti but if a cassette toilet was better id consider fitting one.

In which case can I suggest you phrase your questions better.

You asked "what is the difference and which is better" - if you already knew the difference whay not just ask which current users consider to be better ?

Having had both my vote goes to the Thetford style cassette bog.Better seal design, better design for emptying, less leaks in general just a very well thought out product.I never bothered connecting mine to 12v or water supply as I like stone agê simplicity but the options there if you want it.

They both work in the same way, the fitted cassette might be said to be more aesthetically pleasing in some ways, plus you can sometimes have them with proper ceramic seats etc. If you buy a porta potti with the larger tank volume, it is at normal bog height and has the same size tank as a fitted cassette.

I have a porta potti- it suits me fine. I wasn't sure when I got the boat if I would dislike the kind of "camping" look of it or find I didn't like the plastic seat- but ultimately I find that when I am having a shit, I am not giving a shit.

/ladylike

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Sunday evening and it's down to toilet talk!

I prefer shitting in something that resembles a loo.

I can't use our mates ports potti type affair on his narrowboat. Have tried many times. Even a wee won't come out. I have to make a break and retreat to NC!

This may be a problem later this year........

Ah, you're like my Ma. She might have explosive diarrhoea, but she'd still find it literally impossible to countenence using a public toilet. When she visited me a couple of years ago, she literally timed the visits to the boat around peeing in her hotel room toilet. For me personally as long as -whatever- is clean and not offensive, I am not bothered.

Edited by Starcoaster