Cassette toilets VS porta potti'

tjderby

Featured Posts

But could you read a book while using a Porta Potti?

No, taking a dump on a plastic seat temporarily removes your ability to understand written English.

Yes,as you may have to steam quite a way between Elson points.

My shitlist. It grows hourly.

Edited by Starcoaster

From a point of view of practicality, the porta potti type requires you to lift the top part off and set it down somewhere whilst you either swap tanks, or take a full one to empty.

In a small bathroom this may be less convenient than a cassette, because you don't need to find somewhere to put the toilet.

The downside of a cassette is that it may be less than obvious that the holding tank is removed, so someone might try using it! I usually leave something on top of the seat as a visible sign that this would not be a good idea.

In terms of comfort, you'll just have to try the porta potti. We have had one for five years, and are quite happy with it. I wasn't sure if I'd find it comfortable, but as I have such short legs I find it more comfortable than 'proper' plumbed in ceramic loos now :) Alan's right - removing the bottom part (the cassette) requires a bit of space, which we have, but otherwise it's easy. We have a spare base (ebay's good if you don't mind second hand) in case we are caught short between opportunities to empty it, but we only seem to use this at places like festivals where we have lots of visitors but can't easily (be bothered) to empty the loo.

Why not just live with it for a while, and then if you don't like it start saving up to replace it?

We had a portapotti on old boat and a cassette on our current one. definitely prefer the cassette, although (when it was working) the PP was fine. Easier to remove the cassette, and we got through about 3 portapottis in 4 years as they kept breaking and leaking. The Thetford on WIllow isn't new but it still functions perfectly.