Continuous cruising.

tjderby

Featured Posts

So as many of you know im going to view Annie may for a second time. One problem I have if I purchase her is funds. This means that I will have to continuously cruise for at least a month or so until I have the fees for a mooring. Thankfully I wont need 240v straight away. So I guess what i'm after is tips for continuous cruising. I know the 14 day rule. I hear issues with security can be a problem. and idiots cutting your mooring ropes. Anyone living under CCer rules?

Taking your statement at face value, IF you are CCing for one month and one month only then move every 14 days, that is once, or possibly twice, a month is not long enough to judge whether you have moved far enough to comply with the requirements.

But if it starts taking longer to get a mooring, please don't get complacent. Going to the Dog and Duck and back for one month won't register on any radar, doing it for twelve might.

You are no more at risk of the other horrors than anyone else, that is, not very

Now this is an opinion from afar -

It's still out of season; not that many boats moving - so does anybody "in authority" care?

Either-which-way as long as you don't moor anywhere that stops folks going to the pub or shopping - whatever, who's to complain.

As I see it it's folks that block others reasonable access that cause the problem.

In my experience on the Oxford, there are loads of boats just tucked away from bridges, locks and the like that hardly move at all and that's in the season!

This is my first (original username), and I have never intended on purchasing/ living on a cruiser. the thread was a curiosity as stated. everyone else who follows my threads will know my intentions. and I don't believe we've spoke before so I wont take your rudeness to heart.

What bit of the Erewash?……when we went up there a few years ago a heavy gun mounted on the front deck wouldn't have been overkill on some parts….this was mainly the middle part as I recall…..but unless the local populace has changed a lot I would be a bit wary up there.

Cheers

Gareth

PS We often boat thro city centres and other so called rough areas and the Erewash was the only place I made sure something large and heavy was to hand…..

lol well I live in Ilkeston which the erewash canal goes through so it will be near here and I have never had any issues. and I work close by. but my main mooring will be on the trent when I have the first quarters fees.

This is my first (original username), and I have never intended on purchasing/ living on a cruiser. the thread was a curiosity as stated. everyone else who follows my threads will know my intentions. and I don't believe we've spoke before so I wont take your rudeness to heart.

I guess as a non entity I should take my rudeness elsewhere

I dont know what the 2nd heater is, but I find in my 57ft boat the stove only realisticly heats as far as the kitchen, bedroom & bathroom are a bit cooler. I would expect on a 42 ft boat it will easily reach the whole length of the boat.

& so with that said I reckon a 2nd or different source of heating is a good idea. You may not always want to make the stove up. There has been the odd occasion where I couldnt be bothered to go outside & get coal for the stove 1st thing in the morning.

I am certainly finding the last few days now that it's stopped raining & we're actually getting some sunshine that I've been happy to let the stove go out during the day.

One problem I have if I purchase her is funds.

This doesn't bode well. When you buy a boat, there is an inevitable spend incurred with small/not-so-small teething issues and one off purchases. Do you have any contingency set aside for issues such as these?

This doesn't bode well. When you buy a boat, there is an inevitable spend incurred with small/not-so-small teething issues and one off purchases. Do you have any contingency set aside for issues such as these?

Agreed!

I think you are very much over-inflating the potential issues that concern you- I understand why, as a new boater, but the things you mention are incredibly rare, honestly. Moor near other boats, don't leave your boat on its own either in the middle of nowhere or in lairy town centres etc., and all should be fine.

One thing makes me worry for you a bit though- from what I can gather from your mention of not having mooring fees for the first month, it sounds like your boat purchase, if you go ahead with this boat at the price you seem to have in mind, you are going to leave yourself with no money for any unexpected things that crop up in that first month. I cannot tell you what those "things" will be, because if I could, they would not be unforeseen- but however much you plan and however well equipped the boat is, when you first move onto it, you are going to find that you are missing or need a few things. This could be anything from mooring stakes to goat chains to fenders to a gas bottle or toilet chemicals or diesel or a generator or literally anything- if you are not going to be able to have a small pot put by for these tyeps of minor things that all add up, never mind bigger things that may only become apparent when you get the boat, I would suggest holding off for a bit until you can give yourself something of a buffer.

**Beaten to it by other posters. biggrin.png

Edited by Starcoaster

Last week TJ had £25,000 to spend of which £5000 was being retained for surveys, moorings and 'teething problems' leaving £20,000 to spend on a boat. Annie May is advertised at below that figure and TJ made an offer on that. The offer was refused and a counter offer from the Vendor was received - TJ is now going for a 2nd viewing

Or daft stuff like a water pump bailing out. £100 please!

It is amazing how a boat syphon a any money you own!

We were reasonably well off until we bought Naughty-Cal. We are on the bread line now!

(Bit of an exaggeration ok! ;))

Last week TJ had £25,000 to spend of which £5000 was being retained for surveys, moorings and 'teething problems' leaving £20,000 to spend on a boat. Annie May is advertised at below that figure and TJ made an offer on that. The offer was refused and a counter offer from the Vendor was received - TJ is now going for a 2nd viewing

Cheers for the numbers. TJ was also talking about marine mortgage - and was going to phone them on Monday (last Monday, I think). How did it go?

im not bothering with a marine mortgage paul. firstly cause i dont want the additional expense lol, secondly dont want the debt on the boat. thankfully my job pays ok. so money shouldnt be a problem once the initial purchase is made.

Ok if its just a temporary cashflow issue, there is no issue with CCing for a little while. If that temporary cashflow issue becomes a permanent one.......then there is a problem. Be sure to be realistic with your budgeted items including a contingency.

Trouble is. (And we very much fell for this) you don know how much a boat will cost you until you own it.

We couldn't even have dreamt up the figure that NC costs us a year just to maintain in her current condition.

And to be fair I don't really want to know the number either!