T.V Licence

slowcoach

Featured Posts

Do I need a licence for any other type of home?

If you watch or record TV programmes in a second home which is a touring caravan or vehicle, or a boat, you do not need a separate TV Licence; you will be covered by the TV Licence for your main residence.

TVL 2nd home regs

That's all I need to know thank you. My boat is not on a residential mooring and my registered address is my mum's house. She's the home owner and is in her 70s so doesn't require a licence. I think I'm covered.

Edited by blackrose

"Not the new generation of flat screens tho - no "detector" can trace them - but the aerial sticking out of the top of your boat can be a give away!

I'm not sure this is correct.

My understanding is that the detectors work on picking up emissions from the tuner circuit of a TV, not from the electronics used to put the picture on the screen.

An LCD or plasma will still need to have a tuner for the incoming signal, and can, I believe, be detected in the same manner as an old CRT based set.

In fact I don't think you need to have a screen turned on at all. A VCR or disk based recorder with a TV tuner should also be capable of detection, surely ?

bottom line is so what?

your on a boat what are they realistically going to do?

They even expect people to pay if they own a tv watch!

Should we even pay a license anyway?

I was round my mates tonight and the advertising was sheer pollution sheer tripe not for want of other words.

We should be paid for being exposed to such rubbish.

The advertising revenue must be massive for them.

Gosh I hate TV.

Should we even pay a license anyway?

I was round my mates tonight and the advertising was sheer pollution sheer tripe not for want of other words.

We should be paid for being exposed to such rubbish.

The advertising revenue must be massive for them.

For the majority of channels it's only the advertising revenue that keeps them operating. Your licence is only paying for the BBC (and some of their digital channels have to carry adverts too). Trouble is, even if you disabled your set from receiving the Beeb you'd still have a battle with the authorities, I'm sure test cases have been fought on this but don't know the legal position.

The theory is that you license pays for the 'advert-less' BBC channels - I gew up in a country where we had to have a license to pay for for the national tv channel, THAT SHOWED ADVERTS!!!!

Theoretical conundrum; If you rigged your TV so it could only receive commercial tv (and not BBC) could you sidestep the license?

My daughter is at Uni and says the enforcement people were accompanied round the halls seeking out unlicensed sets and PC's with a TV card.......

Anyone remeber the episode of "The young ones" (the 1980's fly on the wall student household documentary) when the TV detector van called and Vivian ate the TV set before letting the inspector in. I think the trouble was he still had the power cord hanging out of his mouth like a string of spaghetti.

They even expect people to pay if they own a tv watch!

The rules appear unclear here. On the one hand they say......

"You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch TV programmes as they are being broadcast."

On the other they say.....

"Unless your TV is powered by internal batteries, such as a pocket-sized TV."

Have you ever seen a watch with a mains lead? :P

However the rules are clear. If the watch/mobile phone is your only TV and you're not covered by another licence at your "home" address then you need a licence.

I think its a joke and I would not pay a license if i had a tv for watching broadcast channels.

I dont beleive for a second they need the license fee to stay afloat.

If i watched cable then fine i would pay for what i view but not a tax.

We pay tax on power to run the tv we pay tax on the tv and on the damn goods they advertise on the tv.

One little device i have seen is a freeview usb device that plugs into your pc and allows you to receive channels check it out on ebay the item number is 280057708411

This would be perfect for a student or a boat owner.

My daughter is at Uni and says the enforcement people were accompanied round the halls seeking out unlicensed sets and PC's with a TV card......That said, they trap most evaders by self incrimination.

Ah now then there is a way round this one, you get someones mum and dad to "donate" a tv for the kitchen eating area that they share, then they all put a share towards the TV Licence and then everyone can have one in their own room..........works too.......been done and is still done at Lincoln.

Ah now then there is a way round this one, you get someones mum and dad to "donate" a tv for the kitchen eating area that they share, then they all put a share towards the TV Licence and then everyone can have one in their own room..........works too.......been done and is still done at Lincoln.

I seem to remember that this works fine for a multi-occupied house , as long as you have a shared tenancy agreement; if each person in the house has a their own tenancy agreement, then you need a licence. However, in the case of halls of residence it does not.

and then I have found the TV Licencing reference:-

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

does that clear it up? :P

My daughter doesn't have a problem, she's grown up and managed for 23 years without a telly in the house and isn't bothered now she's away at uni.

My daughter doesn't have a problem, she's grown up and managed for 23 years without a telly in the house and isn't bothered now she's away at uni.

Please do not get me going. In our house the necessity or otherwise of a television is like a galvanic isolator on this forum. We recently spent a week on the cut without a television, it was broken :P , and my ear was being continually bent about it. I began to regret that it was broken.

I also didnt have a tv all last year.

- My computer would have fuctioned as a tv, but i didnt have an aerial, and any the single on campus is fairly poor.

- This year we have TV (and liecence) and tbh, its a mistake in my book, its on from like 8 round till gone midnight everyday.

Daniel

A few years ago I bought a TV at the local Dixons, the assistant asked me for my address and when I queried why he wanted it he told me that they needed it to send to the Licencing Office. I told him it was a present for my father so he asked for his address. You should have seen his face when I told him that it was for a new house on a new plot and the Local Authority and Post Office had not yet decided what the road should be called let alone the house number or name. I told him the best bet would to just say "Somewhere to the north east of Brighton" He got quite flustered when I point blank refused to give anymore details and so I asked him to call the manager. When he arrived I told him they could either sell me a TV or stuff it. I reminded them that they were in business to sell goods and make money. After saying I would go to a local dealer and sod the big stores I was on the point of walking out when the manager's basic sales instincts took over and he had a change of heart and relented. Putting my tongue in my cheek I asked for a discount for the hassle and nearly feinted when he gave me 5%.