BMC 1500D Water Pump.

Anestis

Featured Posts

Dear all,

First of all I would like to thank all of you for the knowledge that you communicate from this thread for BMC diesel engines. You ware very helpful in the past with my engine to change the heater plugs and now it is starting in a few seconds after about 15 second preheating.

Now I have another problem with the water pump of the engine. Started leaking from a small hole below of the pump after my false. I was taking out the alternator for service and when I putted back I was overtighten the belt and I damage the internal water seal. (The engine worked a couple of ours before started leaking). The pump has a stamp on the casted body with details “Mowog, with number 1H1151” and has fore bolts that attached it with the main body of engine. I am in contact with Calcutta boats to buy a new pump together with a used in good condition oil pan. They told me that the type of this pump 1H1151 has 60mm impeller diameter. I would like also to rebuild the old pump to have it as a spare. I do not have removed the old because I would like to receive the new before I remove the old.

My question is if anyone of you knows what type of the water seal must be order and from where in order to rebuild the old pump? If you give me a link with a code of seal or more technical information I will appreciate it. Below some of from my engine water pump.

9tkd.jpg

89im.jpg

mrr8.jpg

Sorry for my English are not so good to writing.

Regards

Anestis

You'll find it very difficult to rebuild the pump because of the seal on the back of the impeller. It will probably be a two part, sprung carbon seal - I have had real trouble finding them in the past

Richard

I am reasonably sure this is the same pump as an MGB too

Richard

Caution needed here, I believe!

My limited understanding is that whilst the BMC 1800 had just one water pump type, the BMC 1500 had a range of possible pumps, not interchangeable.

ASAP supplies list no less than 4 for the 1500.

Linky.

If you look, apart from the number of holes on the impeller boss, there are ar least 3 different sizres for the impeller itself.

Whilst not recaclling the detail, I believe "Bones", (occasionally still of this forum, I think), found she had one of a spec where none of the then "off the shelf" replacement ones were correct for her engine, and finding someone who could rebuild it was then the only option she had.

Moreover none of those 4 pumps ASAP list for the 1800 seem to be the same as the one type they list for the 1800, and if I had to guess I would have thought a pump for an MGB petrol engine was more likely to match the 1800 diesel than the 1500 diesel.

OP will probably need to measure up what they have, if looking to replace, and see if someone like ASAP can match it exactly.

(Or I could be wrong, and perhaps they can all be interchanged, but it doesn't sound to me that a 73mm impeller is necessarily going to fit into a recess designed for a 60mm one.)

Edited by alan_fincher

Have you tried a search for a Radial Face Seal?

CT

Yes. On the pump I had to repair, after being quoted £140 for a seal to be made (the same price as the pump for an Austin Healey), I found a seal for a vintage tractor. I had to modify the housing to take it

Richard

I have been contacted with the ASAP supplies and they told me that they cannot tell me which fresh water pump from their stock is suitable for my engine if I will not give the impeller diameter from the old.

I do not want to remove the old pump before I take the new. The old leaking slowly and I can use the engine having in mint the temperature and the antifreeze level. For rebuilding the old pump I have found the water seal for MGB pump with number 88G446. Do you believe that it is suitable also for Mogog 1H1151 pump?

Regards

Anestis

I have been contacted with the ASAP supplies and they told me that they cannot tell me which fresh water pump from their stock is suitable for my engine if I will not give the impeller diameter from the old.

I do not want to remove the old pump before I take the new. The old leaking slowly and I can use the engine having in mint the temperature and the antifreeze level. For rebuilding the old pump I have found the water seal for MGB pump with number 88G446. Do you believe that it is suitable also for Mogog 1H1151 pump?

Regards

Anestis

No idea, Anestis. As has been pointed out, there are several pumps that fit different versions of your engine. Go with what ASAP recommend

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I have a manufacturers parts book for the BMC J2 van which had the 1,5 diesel engine fitted . It shows that the water pump seal is part number 88G 446 for what was waterpump body number 1H 1151 . So it would seem the MGB seal will fit your pump . 88G 422 is the gasket number , you will need one of those .

I have a manufacturers parts book for the BMC J2 van which had the 1,5 diesel engine fitted . It shows that the water pump seal is part number 88G 446 for what was waterpump body number 1H 1151 . So it would seem the MGB seal will fit your pump . 88G 422 is the gasket number , you will need one of those .

Nice work, Troyboy

This forum turn up the most amazing resources when you least expect them

Richard

Nice work, Troyboy

This forum turn up the most amazing resources when you least expect them

Richard

This is the second time this parts book has assisted someone on this forum . A few weeks ago I was able to prove that the BMC 1.5 diesel engine and the 1500cc and 1622cc BMC petrol engines all had the same sump by comparing part numbers .

Looking at the hole in the centre of the pulley it appears as though it is spaced away from the mounting flange and also the pulley has a larger diameter hole than the spindle.

I'm not enough of an expert to be able to identify what pump you have based on that, but, from my own similar experience, it might not necessarily be the 'right' pulley for the water pump.

I'm sure Tony Brooks and other experts on here can probably identify the pump from your pictures, also, if you show Roger at Calcutt the pictures, he'll almost certainly supply you the correct pump.

The 73mm pump definitely won't fit a 60mm block.

I don't know if a 73mm pump would physically fit onto a 60mm block, but if it did I would doubt it would pump very well as the clearances would be wrong

There are 3 and 4 bolt pulleys for both diameter pumps, (i think) with different circimfrences. As I understand it, the smaller diameter is for boats, cars and vans, the larger for stationary engines.

New old stock pumps regularly turn up on Ebay and Autojumbles for about 30.00, but you do need to know which one is right for you.

I'm all for recycling and restoring but, before buying a new seal, replace the existing pump and examine the amount of corrosion in the housing and on the impeller of your existing pump. You should also replace the bearing along with the seal and that might make it uneconomic. If the housing is corroded, or the bearing worn it'd be a false economy.

Rob

1. All our 1.5 boats on the fleet seemed to have the same water pump so I think the OPs is the most common one. Cant help more than that.

2. Warning about sumps. The official marine marinisation had a full length cast iron sump but I am sure teh vehicle one would fit with reduced oil capacity.

Good afternoon,

Thank you all for your replays to my problem with water pump. I placed an order for water seal 88G446 and a gasket 88G422 from a UK shop. I cross my fingers to be suitable for rebuilding my old Mowog 1H1151 pump. I will keep you updated with new photos for the results.

Regards

Anestis

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

Below the water seal 88G446 and the gasket for repairing the water pump Mogog 1H1151 for my BMC 1.5 diesel engine. Does anyone know where can I find the 1H1153 water pump spindle bearing?

nxrr.jpg

an0x.jpgvz75.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have an actual-real-life-hardcopy version of the book? or an electronic one?

I've been wanting to get my hands on a copy for a while, but they always seem to be really expensive, I imagine cause the vans are rare and collectible. I can't find a scan or owt either.

Any clues on where to get one cheap and easy?

Do you have an actual-real-life-hardcopy version of the book? or an electronic one?

I've been wanting to get my hands on a copy for a while, but they always seem to be really expensive, I imagine cause the vans are rare and collectible. I can't find a scan or owt either.

Any clues on where to get one cheap and easy?

Its a book not an electronic copy . I bought mine at an autojumble many years ago . You could try Pooks motor bookshop , Fowke Street, Rothley, Leicester phone 0116-2376222 email pooks.motorbooks@virgin.net They have a huge selection of parts books but tend to be a bit pricey ,depends how desperate you are to get your hands on a copy . Depending where you live a visit to an autojumble would be the cheapest option and you might pick up some BMC diesel bits at the same time .