Shad's Relaunch

Tiggers

Featured Posts

Pete, is this the same Anderton carrying company that bought my boat from wendover but never put it into service. And if so was it actually taken to Northwich. Thanks

Darren

It is the same Anderton Canal Carrying Company, established by Alan Galley on 01 December 1967 following the end of Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd.'s activities in the north west a week or so earlier. Anderton Canal Carrying Company continued to carry into the early 1970's using several boats leased from British Waterways Board, and they were all returned by 1976. This Anderton Canal Carrying Company has nothing to do with the older carrying company of a similar name and that was sold to Mersey Weaver & Ship Canal Carrying Company Ltd. in 1954

Anderton Canal Carrying Company acquired several boats from the Wendover Arm in 1968, and BICESTER was amongst these. Unfortunately I do not have details for the removal of BICESTER, or what it was towed behind on its way to Northwich - although it was certainly still on the Wendover Arm on 02 May 1968. Excluding the Small Woolwich butty ARGO there is no doubt that Anderton Canal Carrying Company did not recommission any of these boats and I am of the opinion that they were resold in much the same condition to when they were acquired.

edit - to add a missed out word frusty.gif

Edited by pete harrison

It is the same Anderton Canal Carrying Company, established by Alan Galley on 01 December 1967 following the end of Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd.'s activities in the north west a week or so earlier. Anderton Canal Carrying Company continued to carry into the early 1970's using several boats leased from British Waterways Board, and they were all returned by 1976. This Anderton Canal Carrying Company has nothing to do with the older carrying company of a similar name and that was sold to Mersey Weaver & Ship Canal Carrying Company Ltd. in 1954

Anderton Canal Carrying Company acquired several boats from the Wendover Arm in 1968, and BICESTER was amongst these. Unfortunately I do not have details for the removal of BICESTER, or what it was towed behind on its way to Northwich - although it was certainly still on the Wendover Arm on 02 May 1968. Excluding the Small Woolwich butty ARGO there is no doubt that Anderton Canal Carrying Company did not recommission any of these boats and I am of the opinion that they were resold in much the same condition to when they were acquired.

edit - to add a missed out word frusty.gif

From what I can remember, Bargus was put up for sale almost immediately. Peter Froud did consider buying it to convert as an Hotel Boat.

I seem to remember they had the Stirling for a while but never put it into service. The Bicester I don't remember at all.

The boats did come with a pile of PD2 bits, half-engines etc IIRC.

I think Jack Taylor was also involved in setting up the ACCCo.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Jack Taylor was certainly involved in ACCCo²s in the early days, He talked to me at Norbury in 1968, offering me a sub contract job carrying interlocking steel piles. I have no knowledge of the outcome but it came to nought & he rang John Stothert at Norbury, to pass on the message it was a no go

And then Ron Hough in 2007 for the repaint then in BW colours.

BADSEY was still wearing 'my' paint when I photographed it on 29 May 1998, although this was a couple of owners later and the paintwork was tidied up by the then owner (Phil Speight) as it had become a little shabby. I then photographed BADSEY on 03 October 1999 looking very smart in late 1950's 'British Waterways' Southern Carrying Fleet traffic livery. I seem to remember Mr Speight telling me that it had been re-painted as such to display to a former boatman (Noel James) who at that time lived at Hillmorton and was coming towards 'the end of his time'.

• 1 year later...

Looks nice but I am afraid the shade of blue is far to deep ACC boats had a lighter shade than that and also they were not glossy. I hope you invited David Suchet to the launch as he has funded Shad until the end of TWT,there seems no mention of this?

When Shad was at Ellesmere Port in the early 90's, she was painted in ACC colours, were they the correct colours in the 1990's?