moped on back of widebeam

DeanS

Featured Posts

ello you lot smile.png

I'm contemplating fitting a wide metal rack behind the tiller, which I can load a 50cc moped onto. I'm thinking about a slide out or flap out "ramp" to make loading the moped on and off possible. I need to be able to get from the boat to work, when away from the marina, and a moped is quite affordable..and you can ride them with a full drivers licence, which I've got.

Am I mad, or is this do-able?

Any problems having the extra weight on the stern?

Edited by DeanS

Hi Dean

If you passed your car driving test before Feb 2001 you don't need to do CBT (training course) if you passed after that you need to do the course, at least that's how I read the regulations.

Most of the mopeds around weigh about 100 to 150 Kg but the 110Kg seems average so about 5 bags of coal, not a huge lot of weigh on a widebeam, what you need is some local blacksmith sort of person to knock up the metalwork there's plenty more with bigger bikes out there but normally they go in the cratch or tug front deck.

K

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/overview

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/nsc50r/specifications/dimensions/

ello you lot smile.png

I'm contemplating fitting a wide metal rack behind the tiller, which I can load a 50cc moped onto. I'm thinking about a slide out or flap out "ramp" to make loading the moped on and off possible. I need to be able to get from the boat to work, when away from the marina, and a moped is quite affordable..and you can ride them with a full drivers licence, which I've got.

I've seen this question on here a few times, and ive also seen a few racks on the back of boats with motorbikes out on the cut.

I keep meaning to take a photo of one for when this question popped up next.

I have a vague memory that forum member Ricco1 did something like what you are suggesting.

Dean, you are a nutcase! No problem carrying a small motor bike on a canal boat, especially a widebeam. Minor risks getting it on/offboard but how long will you survive on the road?

My father would not allow me to have a motorbike sad.png. My five years younger brother secretly kept his Trail Bike at a friend's house. My brother assured me that his 500cc Honda was much safer on the road than the little trail bike. He was a keen, all-weather, London commuting and long distance 80mph+ rider even when he also owned a 3 litre Ford Capri. I am sure he was a competant rider and I know he had decent 'leathers', boots and crash helmet.

Unlike me, he aquired the skills to survive on a motorbike when he was young enough to consider mobility more important than the risks. Since he aquired a wife and children he has not owned a motorbike. I have considered the economy of a small motorbike but I am too old to contemplate the falling off and

chance of being wiped out by today's inconsiderate car, van, bus and truck drivers that I would rather walk and use public tranport than ride even a pedal cycle let alone a moped on a road. I often fear for my life these days when walking on a highway but at least I can, mostly, leap up the bank or into the hedge.

If you must do it, please get a proper motorbike (max 250cc?) and all the gear, do the training and get the licence. I enjoy your contributions to this forum - long may they continue.

Alan

ello you lot :)

Why don't you get a fold up moped?

Hi ya Dean,

Yep I've seen a few mopeds & suchlike on the backs of various boats, but don't for get it's the weight of the bike,the gantry/ bracket & yourself, all in one place on the extreme stern, Probably 250kilos depending on how many pies youve had. So worth a bit of bulk coal buying to test how it's going to affect the attitude of your boat and any skin fittings ect especially if you've got an empty water tank and are sat on the stern having a cuppa with the wife as well ?.

Just play with some weights & see.

I have got a smaller boat (Water line length of 39 ft X 10 ft beam on the stern) but was amazing how 3 tins (70 lts) of fuel, a 4 man canister liferaft & the brackets for all bolted on the extreme stern affect the boat.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

On the moped riding side of things, if you transfer your car driving skills to riding a moped, you won't last long. As has been said, bigger bikes are safer because other road users treat you with more respect. But the most important thing is to presume that the car drivers will pull out in front of you at a junction, will turn right across your path etc. because they WILL, it's only a matter of time. And then it hurts, or worse. You have to drive defensively such that WHEN (not if) they do that, you can avoid them, by adjusting your speed or whatever so the potential for conflict is removed.

Thank you all for caring ;-).

I'm planning on using it on backroads, not in heavy traffic...

A scooter, not a motorbike.

A high vis jacket and illuminous green onesie.

A darth vadar helmet.

Training wheels.

5 layers of leather clothing

An ice cream van speaker system to alert people of my presence.

I'm getting old so a bicycle doesn't work for me. Having a car is not going to happen. Got rid of it a while ago. Incompatible with the boating lifestyle :)

A scooter is a viable alternative, but yes...safety is important.

Dean if you've got a curvy back end is your problem going to be a ramp long enough, and therefore strong enough, to cover the distance to the bank?

I dont have a curvy back end, but LongSufferingWife does. Is that a problem?

Why don't you get a fold up moped?

costly i think. I'm looking at a second hand moped for around £400 on Ebay etc.

Thank you all for caring ;-).

I'm planning on using it on backroads, not in heavy traffic...

A scooter, not a motorbike.

A high vis jacket and illuminous green onesie.

A darth vadar helmet.

Training wheels.

5 layers of leather clothing

An ice cream van speaker system to alert people of my presence.

I'm getting old so a bicycle doesn't work for me. Having a car is not going to happen. Got rid of it a while ago. Incompatible with the boating lifestyle :)

A scooter is a viable alternative, but yes...safety is important.

You forgot the inflatable suit like horse riders use!