bathroom tile adhesive

lpp2

Featured Posts

Boat bathroom? Use the flexible, shockproof version of No More Nails. I tried a flexible tile adhesive initially and it was very poor. So I started again using blobs of this type of No More Nails on the back of the tiles and six or seven years later they're all still perfect - in the bathroom as well as for two stove surrounds.

I used a standard flexible grout from Homebase. Nowt special.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Our boat was professionally built but I know they used silicone to stick the tiles to ply in the shower etc. Still good after 3 years. As for grout, normal domestic "flexible" grout should be OK. If you are tiling a wet area such as a shower, try to have 100% coverage of the adhesive so there are no gaps, since grout is only water-resistant not waterproof. That said, you can get clear grout sealer which goes on easily, soaks in a bit, and repels water really well, though it has to be applied annually or thereabout. Helps prevent grout discolouration and mould.

Further to the other great replies, if you have tiles covering more than one wall/bulkhead, you might want to consider using silicon bathroom sealant to place a bead along where the edges of the underlying vertical panels meet each other in the corners. Place & grout your tiles as has been said, but leave the corners clear of grout & once everything is fully set, place the silicon bead in the corners, this will allow for expansion between the panels, whereas a flexible grout will crack if used in those corners.

Hi,

Adfhesive bond is dependent on what you are "sticking" the tiles to, for a shower area ? HardieBacker board and Bal flexible adhesive will last for ever, adhesives are very substate focused! there are no magic or one size fits all adhesives

Unless your boat has a dumper truck engine or has serious damp issues its really a domestic type situation so no need for any special "solutions"

Ray

Edited by raymondh

Many years ago - before For a became the norm, the perceived wisdom was to use flexible floor tile adhesive (I know not whether "flexible" refers to the tile or to the adhesive).

Not knowing any better, I followed that wisdom - and my tiles are still in place some 15 years later. The adhesive has quite a high proportion of latex, which cushions the tiles when you hit a lockside or other obstruction......

• 2 months later...

HardieBacker board and Bal flexible adhesive will last for ever, adhesives are very substate focused! there are no magic or one size fits all adhesives

Unless your boat has a dumper truck engine or has serious damp issues its really a domestic type situation so no need for any special "solutions"

Ray

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I have some tiling to do this week so have been reading through some previous threads.

The problem is I actually DO have a dumper truck engine, so I was wondering if 'Bal' adhesive will still be ok? This is what I've been recommended by a tiler who also knows his boats. The alternative is I use the 'No More Nails' stuff mentioned by BSP in this thread.

The tiles are going directly onto ply and will be behind a stove not in a bathroom.

If you are doing a shower or even just around a washbasin I would seriously recommend plastic panelling rather than tiles.

I recently suspected a little water was getting through cracked grouting in my shower. When I bit the bullet and removed some tiles I could see that more than a little water had been getting through, and for some time. The ply behind the tiles was damp in areas where I thought the tiling was still good.

I ended up stripping the whole lot, leaving it a couple of months to dry and then panelling with plastic from IPSL http://www.ipsluk.co.uk . Their panelling and associated trims are excellent and easy to work with. I used plain white panels but they do all sorts of colours and finishes.

I now have complete confidence that nothing nasty will be going on where I cannot see it.

Apologies. I've just seen that you are tiling behind a stove! I wouldn't advise plastic for that!!!!

However, my comments are still appropriate for the title of the thread.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I have some tiling to do this week so have been reading through some previous threads.

The problem is I actually DO have a dumper truck engine, so I was wondering if 'Bal' adhesive will still be ok? This is what I've been recommended by a tiler who also knows his boats. The alternative is I use the 'No More Nails' stuff mentioned by BSP in this thread.

The tiles are going directly onto ply and will be behind a stove not in a bathroom.

Hi Junior,

I ask because I do not know the construction of your cabin around your stove..but, I assume you are building the tiled area directly by the stove, I believe you should be using a heatproof board, like Masterboard(?) and not plywood.

I stand to be corrected by others, though.

Boat bathroom? Use the flexible, shockproof version of No More Nails. I tried a flexible tile adhesive initially and it was very poor. So I started again using blobs of this type of No More Nails on the back of the tiles and six or seven years later they're all still perfect - in the bathroom as well as for two stove surrounds.

I used a standard flexible grout from Homebase. Nowt special.

Much the same approach, but I used silicone instead of no more nails. Ten years and counting.

Edited by Guest

As GnF says, behind a stove gotta use a non combustible board and NOT plywood directly behind the tiles.

If you go through the index link in my sig it should turn up some posts about stove surrounds on boats.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

As GnF says, behind a stove gotta use a non combustible board and NOT plywood directly behind the tiles.

If you go through the index link in my sig it should turn up some posts about stove surrounds on boats.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

What about if there has been no fireboard fitted for the last 25 years? You'd like to think it is tried and tested by now and can cope without needing fireboard.