A new trend or con

Featured Posts

I dont know that many boaters, but within the past two weeks I have been told by two boat owners that they are being claimed against by cyclists that have hit their boat mooring stakes in broad daylight.Both have said that their boats were correctly moored up ( I guess they were.I wasnt there ).

Is this a new insurance scam ? Or do we need warning signs when moored up to avoid having to pay claims.

Seems unlikely as the cyclist would have to be taking their own legal action. What are they claiming for, a bent wheel? Or personal injures?

What evidence are the cyclists producing? Why can the boaters not just deny there was any incident, assuming they know nothing about it?

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I dont know that many boaters, but within the past two weeks I have been told by two boat owners that they are being claimed against by cyclists that have hit their boat mooring stakes in broad daylight.Both have said that their boats were correctly moored up ( I guess they were.I wasnt there ).

Is this a new insurance scam ? Or do we need warning signs when moored up to avoid having to pay claims.

Now, what boater would put their mooring pegs in the middle of the towpath?

Boats (and their essential mooring lines) are hardly invisible.

Maybe the cyclists should have gone to Specsavers. (or slowed down)

What got me thinking was that it has "become acceptable" in the insurance claims world to now claim against boats moored up if the cyclist hits the mooring stakes.

After all nobody puts warning signs up.If one claim is successful then others will follow.

What got me thinking was that it has "become acceptable" in the insurance claims world to now claim against boats moored up if the cyclist hits the mooring stakes.

After all nobody puts warning signs up.If one claim is successful then others will follow.

We tend to place our pins as close to the edge as possible (when we use them). I also drive them in as far as I can, flush with the tow path surface if I can.

If I can't I tie a couple of poly bags to them.

Beyond that I can't think what else us boaters can do.

There are lots of places where you do have to put your pins in further "inland" because of poor upkeep of the bank or waterlogged land. There's not always much choice. If you mark them with something brightly coloured and I add a solar light for night times too, then there's not much more you can do.

Canals were built for slow boats not fast bikes.

• Greenie 1

Hypothetical situation.

I'm on my bicycle on a tow path and see a narrowboat moored on the water to my right. I thinks, why don't that boat drift off down t'canal on its own? Oh! I know, it's probably fastened to the ground, by, yes, ropes or similar. Now, how are them there ropes tied to the earth. Hmmmmmm! Arr! Got it, don't them boater people knock sticks or summat in 't ground.

I think I will stay in the middle off the track, I continue, then I see it, a tesco bag wrapped round something. Wow! That were close.

Martyn.

There are lots of places where you do have to put your pins in further "inland" because of poor upkeep of the bank or waterlogged land. There's not always much choice. If you mark them with something brightly coloured and I add a solar light for night times too, then there's not much more you can do.

Canals were built for slow boats not fast bikes.

Liking the solar light idea,,,

Hypothetical situation.

I'm on my bicycle on a tow path and see a narrowboat moored on the water to my right. I thinks, why don't that boat drift off down t'canal on its own? Oh! I know, it's probably fastened to the ground, by, yes, ropes or similar. Now, how are them there ropes tied to the earth. Hmmmmmm! Arr! Got it, don't them boater people knock sticks or summat in 't ground.

I think I will stay in the middle off the track, I continue, then I see it, a tesco bag wrapped round something. Wow! That were close.

Martyn.

Its more like (for the lycra louts this is)

"There are boats. I don't give a shit. There are pedestrians. I don't give a shit. There's a poly bag on the grass. I don't give a aaaaaaargh

• Greenie 2

why don't they put speed limits for bikes ive seen them darting along the towpath and its distressing to those on foot too with there ignorant "ring ring" meaning get out of the way or get run over !!!! just my thought from being in Bradford upon avon last summer walking up towpath asking boat owners lots of questions.

Why aren't there warning signs on unlit pavement furniture? If I walk into a pillarbox at night can I sue the Royal Mail? Surely if you are riding along a TOWpath you should expect there to be ropes and other such canal type objects.

I cycle a lot, I rarely, if ever run into things. Actually I don't think I can remember running into anything. Not to say it couldn't happen to me (accidentally - touch wood), but the likelihood is certainly in favour of the cyclist not having shown due care and attention. Keep tying a bag on your peg and placing it somewhere sensible and we'll be a'right.

Edit to add: I've just remembered running into something on my bike. As a kid, maybe 15 or so, I ran into the back of a car going down hill very fast. He braked quickly, I braked quickly and flew over the handlebars and face planted his back window. Blood, sore etc...

Edited by Tom Richmond

Should a dickhead on a bike run into mooring pin or ring and hurt himself how is he going to know who to sue or claim off ? does my boat cover stretch to cover any idiot unable to look after himself on the towpath .

Should a dickhead on a bike run into mooring pin or ring and hurt himself how is he going to know who to sue or claim off ? does my boat cover stretch to cover any idiot unable to look after himself on the towpath .

This is the thought that crossed my mind too. How does he find out who you are unless you tell him? He has your boat name but that's about it.

I don't imagine CRT are going to hand out your name and address. Or maybe they would!

MtB