Brass cleaning

saxplayer

Featured Posts

Oxalic acid is rather toxic and since a solution is colourless it might be mistaken for water. I suggest it is labelled as poisonous and kept away from children.

...or at least from the ones whom you like.

I have Best Quality portholes ( must be because I bought them from Boatmans cabin ......) and nothing will clean them, P, Virgin's P, Brasso, Miracle whatsit, so I was hoping for a cure.

The Management when on a foraging expedition was instructed humbly asked to shut her eyes when leaving Waitrose and stumble to Wilkinsons in search of said Shiny Sinks. Not in our branch, sadly....

I took the advice of an eminent Kentish Boater (before the got converted the Lichfield locality) who sagely said - don't have any brass to polish further away from you can reach from the steering position. So I painted all the mushrooms red and they look 'orrible.

I take my hat off to anyone who keeps their blanco clean and brass buckles shiny.

Mark you we only stop cruising to eat and go to bed - no time for polishing anyway.

Barkeeper's Friend made into a paste easily removes old tarnish with little effort, followed by Brasso.

Dave

Had my brasswork, pots and mushrooms clear powder coated inside and out. Great, I have a shiny boat but no polishing. Incidentally now 3 years on and still shiny

Had my brasswork, pots and mushrooms clear powder coated inside and out. Great, I have a shiny boat but no polishing. Incidentally now 3 years on and still shiny

Tell us more. Is this a form of paint? Does it need to be applied by a professional? If so, by whom? Is it expensive?

My boat has had the aluminium windows frames, aluminium mushrooms and brass houdini hatch, all of which were powder coated in a dull brass colourfrom new. I bought it at 7 years old and the powder coating was beginning to come off the aluminium bits. A right PITA to remove them all and get them ready powder coated. However the brass bits seem okay after 8 & 1\2 years.

I have Best Quality portholes ( must be because I bought them from Boatmans cabin ......) and nothing will clean them, P, Virgin's P, Brasso, Miracle whatsit, so I was hoping for a cure.

The Management when on a foraging expedition was instructed humbly asked to shut her eyes when leaving Waitrose and stumble to Wilkinsons in search of said Shiny Sinks. Not in our branch, sadly....

I took the advice of an eminent Kentish Boater (before the got converted the Lichfield locality) who sagely said - don't have any brass to polish further away from you can reach from the steering position. So I painted all the mushrooms red and they look 'orrible.

I take my hat off to anyone who keeps their blanco clean and brass buckles shiny.

Mark you we only stop cruising to eat and go to bed - no time for polishing anyway.

I suspect I know who the Kentish boater is, and I too, took his advice when he said the same to me, many years ago."No more than six feet from the tiller" was the expression he used to me. He spent some time on my boat over the weekend at Cavalcade, putting the world to rights.

Last place I bought any was Wilkinsons.

I've no idea if they still have it, though.

There's plenty of "Shiny sinks" on Ebay and Amazon.

I was recommended this product many years ago.I tried it and was disappointed. It seemed less effective than Brasso. When I mentioned this to the guy who recommended it, he said "have you tried putting it on with a paintbrush?" When I did try that, the difference was amazing! It seems that the scrubbing action of a brush makes all the difference. Try it, I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Tell us more. Is this a form of paint? Does it need to be applied by a professional? If so, by whom? Is it expensive?

Powder coating baked on or if preferred they use a spray coating. This is not your usual laquer, it's heavy duty stuff. Cost is not bad although cannot remember how much. Prep is important and had mine buffed by a metal finisher. Coating firm is ereg coatings.com based in Burnley. 01282 838378 ask for Dean, a helpful bloke. The firm works to a high spec as their main business is miliary/MOD work

monkeyhanger, on 03 May 2016 - 3:32 PM, said:

I suspect I know who the Kentish boater is, and I too, took his advice when he said the same to me, many years ago."No more than six feet from the tiller" was the expression he used to me. He spent some time on my boat over the weekend at Cavalcade, putting the world to rights.

Often referred to as "The Chicken Farmer" in canal circles. Very engaging when in company, but had some difficulty in 'delivery'.

I'd heard that he'd moved away from boating circles a while ago, so felt free to make comments.