New to this - Sowerby Bridge

dww101

Featured Posts

Hi we are currently looking to book a weekend away for some male bonding (quiet Stag Doo). We are looking to book the sussex boat leaving Sowerby Bridge for a weekend of boating. Can any help with things to do whilst travelling on this route such as activities, pubs or places to ea. Any help would be grewatly appreciated

Edited by dww101

Welcome to the forum.

I was going to tiptoe round this because I don't quite understand what 'male bonding' involves, but as the only forum member (AFAIK) mooring at Sowerby Bridge I'd better take it up. Good God, I've just been interrupted by Matty's post. ohmy.png

First of all you've chosen one of the best hire firms in the country, and if you are beginners their tuition is second to none.

In a weekend you could realistically get to Todmorden or a bit further going one way, where the canal highlight is Tuel Lane Lock*, the deepest on the canal system, with good pubs in Mythomroyd, Hebden Bridge (which is an attractive town which I don't particularly like) and Todmorden itself. However, that way is currently closed at Mythomroyd, but if I know anything they'll pull out all the stops to get it open again in time for Nigel's hiring season.

The other way you could get to Mirfield, with the Barge & Barrel at Elland right beside the canal, and good pubs in Brighouse and the Navigation in Mirfield. Sowerby bridge itself has a terrific selection of pubs, probably the best on your route.

As for seeing things, well the canal and its locks are the greatest attractions, and you'll be kept quite busy negotiating the latter. They are quite hard work, especially the Calder & Hebble ones, which have a mechanism quite unlike any you will find anywhere else.

There, was that all right? Feel free to ask anything specific, although the folks at Shire Cruisers are a mine of info themselves.

* Edited to clarify that Tuel Lane is in Sowerby Bridge, not Todmorden.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

That's two of us that don't like Hebden Bridge!

If you fancy some real exercise then moor before Todmorden and climb up to Stoodley Pike.

I just think Hebden is a bit weird - in fact I've found things in the woods above Black pit lock that confirm this. Much prefer to moor at Stubbing and go to the Stubbing Wharf, which is probably the best pub in Hebden now, and from where I last went up Stoodley.

We've hired from Shire a few times and intend to book with them again for 2015. We had Sussex out for a week in the company of Bones and Maffi and she's a cracking boat!

Speak to Susan at Shire...she'll put you straight!

Janet

However, that way is currently closed at Mythomroyd, but if I know anything they'll pull out all the stops to get it open again in time for Nigel's hiring season.

The pound through Mytholmroyd is drained, so you can only get to the lock before, so realistically you are limited to the longish pound from Tuel Lane to Brearley. The CRT Stoppage Notice is here.

The pound through Mytholmroyd is drained, so you can only get to the lock before, so realistically you are limited to the longish pound from Tuel Lane to Brearley. The CRT Stoppage Notice is here.

Yes, that's what I implied, but the OP isn't going now is he? Shire don't hire during the winter. As I said, I'm betting things will be fixed for the hire season.

Although I am not currently moored there, being stuck on the wrong sides of the Pennines, Sowerby Bridge is my home town. Other posts say where you can get in a weekend presuming Mytholmroyd is reopen.

In Sowerby Bridge the best pub is the Puzzle Hall which has good beer and live music. http://www.puzzlehall.com/

If you start late in the day and get through Tuel Lane Lock you can moor about 300yds past a footbridge where there are steps down to the road, turn left and you'll be at the Puzzle. Going past the Puzzle you'll come to the Works. A popular pub though not to my taste, http://www.theworkssowerbybridge.co.uk/

Across the road is the Fire House for beer and food. Along the main road is a newly opened Weatherspoons, though I've not been in and probably never will. At the canal basin is the Moorings. A pleasant enough pub and good for food. A short walk along the canal is the Navigation which I like and again good food. Up the hill from here is the Shepards Rest, a traditional pub with good beer. If you like curry the Syhiba is highly recommended. http://www.syhibarestaurant.co.uk/

Leaving Sowerby Bridge you will pass the Brandywine at Luddenden Foot and the Dusty Miller and Shoulder of Mutton in Mytholmroyd, none of which I would stop at but move onto Hebden Bridge. There are moorings by the park, above the next lock or at the Stubbing Wharf. This is good for food and renowned for cider. The beers good too. http://www.stubbingwharf.com/

Up the hill from here is the Fox and Goose. Very much a traditional local, currently being bought as a community pub. For that reason alone I would recommend it but it is also my favourite pub in Hebden. http://www.foxandgoose.org/

If you are in need of exercise walk up the hill from here to Heptonstall, a village well worth a visit with two good pubs.

The centre of Hebden has less to offer, the Shoulder of Mutton is far too expensive (at least when I last went in), the Railway is a good local but tends to have the canned music very loud and the Old Gate, a recently refurbished pub, http://www.oldgatehebden.co.uk/ does not match the Stubbing for food or beer in my opinion. There is however The Trades Club. Reasonable beer and a good music venue. http://thetradesclub.com/

Not much else before Todmorden where there are several pubs, none of which stand out with the exception of http://www.barearts.com/index.html/ which is really a brewery off license with facility for sampling the beers – basically a pub, but unique.

Going the other way from Sowerby Bridge, I don't rate the canal trip as highly, though still good, and the best pubs have been mentioned already.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh................ Colin! I didn't mention The Puzzle because we don't want a load of hoi polloi in there, do we? They might want us to join in the male bonding. unsure.png

And if anyone tries to negotiate those steps in the dark, they'll be suing you when they break their neck.

If going West ; Grandma Pollards fish and chips

right next the cut at Walsden.

Also Cabin Cafe on New Road at Hebden

near to the water point does lovely fresh

sandwiches , so whilst filling up to return

the boat someone can nip across for the

buttiessmile.png

eta check chippy times though, they have

strange (yorkshire) opening hours.

Edited by 8 Hairy Feet

eta check chippy times though, they have

strange (yorkshire) opening hours.

Not as strange as a big chippy in the centre of Nuneaton.

It closed at 6 which is tea time - most odd

My 19 year old son's take on Hebden Bridge's pubs:

In terms of beer, the Fox and Goose is probably nicest assuming you can find a table. But it is a bit of a walk through town. if you want to go closer the Shoulder of Mutton is less gastro than the White Lion, The Swan is the most like a local, but im not sure how niceley its done out inside. Its also the go to underage spot in Hebden, but i dont imagine that being too much of an issue on a Monday. Beer wise the Albert is good, although tends to have something on the telly, which could be a bit distracting, but there are little alcoves off to the side that offer some privacy.

Since he penned that advice the Inn on the Bridge has reopened as Oldgate, but I haven't been in. He also seems to have missed the Railway (which I also haven't tried).

The Stubbing Wharf is canalside and does good food at reasonable price.

My 19 year old son's take on Hebden Bridge's pubs:

In terms of beer, the Fox and Goose is probably nicest assuming you can find a table. But it is a bit of a walk through town. if you want to go closer the Shoulder of Mutton is less gastro than the White Lion, The Swan is the most like a local, but im not sure how niceley its done out inside. Its also the go to underage spot in Hebden, but i dont imagine that being too much of an issue on a Monday. Beer wise the Albert is good, although tends to have something on the telly, which could be a bit distracting, but there are little alcoves off to the side that offer some privacy.

Since he penned that advice the Inn on the Bridge has reopened as Oldgate, but I haven't been in. He also seems to have missed the Railway (which I also haven't tried).

The Stubbing Wharf is canalside and does good food at reasonable price.

Hmmmm............... Not sure I'd want to take a 19 year old's advice on pubs, unless I'd trained him up myself! How long is it since he was in the Fox & Goose? I just hope it improves again once the Community takeover is complete.

For the record, the Stubbing wharf is the only pub in Hebden which has stayed in the Good Beer Guide.