Solar Panels and Battery Bank

helrow

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We're thinking about buying this flexible solar panel kit from the States...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/136W-Battery-Charger-Uni-Solar-Package-Upg-272-watts-12v-applications-Unisolar-/271102950388

It's half the price of what appears to be the same thing here, but not sure if it's compatible with a 12v system here or not?? I think volts, amps and watts are the same everywhere(!) but wanted to check before we fork out in case there's something we're missing....

We're also going to upgrade our battery bank from 2 x 110Ah ones to either 3 or 4. We run only 12v stuff (laptop and phone charger are main draws apart from the obvious pumps), use only LED lights and don't have a fridge. Does anyone have any idea how many we may need? I've been told that the difference between 3 and 4 batteries is minimal by some people, is this true?
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom, I realise we'll probably be waiting a few days for any post NYE replies!
H

Hi all,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/136W-Battery-Charger-Uni-Solar-Package-Upg-272-watts-12v-applications-Unisolar-/271102950388

It's half the price of what appears to be the same thing here, but not sure if it's compatible with a 12v system here or not?? I think volts, amps and watts are the same everywhere(!) but wanted to check before we fork out in case there's something we're missing....

We're also going to upgrade our battery bank from 2 x 110Ah ones to either 3 or 4. We run only 12v stuff (laptop and phone charger are main draws apart from the obvious pumps), use only LED lights and don't have a fridge. Does anyone have any idea how many we may need? I've been told that the difference between 3 and 4 batteries is minimal by some people, is this true?
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom, I realise we'll probably be waiting a few days for any post NYE replies!
H

What you need to do is a power audit, as you're only using 12v up to 4 batteries would seem about right though.

That panel & charger is a very good price, beware though you could be slammed for custome tax.

International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.

Personally I liked these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-TITAN-ENERGY-semi-flexible-SOLAR-PANELS-SOLAR-CHARGER-caravan-boat-/321265499390?pt=UK_Gadgets&var=&hash=item4accea7cfe

still a bit pricey though, when they're under £1.50 per watt, I might be tempted. Only slightly over that now, but no Charge Controller.

200w of panels would probably suffice for your needs based on your brief description of use.

As earlier mentioned do a power audit and assess your average daily use of energy, then build your B/B and solar to suite.

Some good info here http://www.lilo.org.uk/handbook/energyaudit

ETA, NOT a good price, I thought they were 272 amps. Leave well alone LOL

Edited by Julynian

Thanks very much for that advice all. Very helpful.

I've been looking at flexible/peel and stick panels as I like the idea of being able to walk on them and not having more stuff sticking off the roof for vandals to damage/nick. These seemed like a good deal compared to some of the others I could find in the UK, but clearly not - especially when I consider import taxes etc (which I stupidly hadn't thought of at all.) Plus I guess if they were faulty it would be a total pain in the backside to return them.

I'm going to do an energy audit and take it from there. The ones at Best Eco Shop look like an excellent deal....

Happy new year to all, and thanks for saving me from a silly buy!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come across this supremely flexible solar panel, very good price, not sure weather their robust enough for boats, at the price though you could decorate your cabin sides with it laugh.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100w-319v-dc-rollup-Flexible-solar-panel-100-flexible-folie-/121244026349?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1c3ab505ed

I've just come across this supremely flexible solar panel, very good price, not sure weather their robust enough for boats, at the price though you could decorate your cabin sides with it laugh.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100w-319v-dc-rollup-Flexible-solar-panel-100-flexible-folie-/121244026349?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1c3ab505ed

Save painting :) One of the the original GEM 1 electric cars was all solar panels great for sunny parts in the USA

Peter

Would the 319 volts be an issue?

Phil

In the next few weeks I'm making two top boxes for the boat. I have been playing with the idea of incorporating solar panels into the lids/tops.

Now I know little about what is available. I like the ones in the above photo. So is it best to put myself in the hands of a supplier or can I be guided by astute forum members as to which where how and how much. I intend to have probably a battery bank of something like 660 amp hrs (which is 220 than present).

Money as always is tight, or still least until about May when a lump sum comes our way. But the boxes are going to be made in the next few weeks as stated. I would need to locate and assess the size of potential panels. I gather the ones in the photo are recessed into the lids.

Any guidance is appreciated. Sorry to high jack this thread 'H'. What follows may well be helpful to both you and I.

In the next few weeks I'm making two top boxes for the boat. I have been playing with the idea of incorporating solar panels into the lids/tops.

Now I know little about what is available. I like the ones in the above photo. So is it best to put myself in the hands of a supplier or can I be guided by astute forum members as to which where how and how much. I intend to have probably a battery bank of something like 660 amp hrs (which is 220 than present).

Money as always is tight, or still least until about May when a lump sum comes our way. But the boxes are going to be made in the next few weeks as stated. I would need to locate and assess the size of potential panels. I gather the ones in the photo are recessed into the lids.

Any guidance is appreciated. Sorry to high jack this thread 'H'. What follows may well be helpful to both you and I.

make them yourself, 4 pieces of wood the size of the panel,waterproofed then painted,fit ventilation vents, wood fixed together with corner bracket's and L shaped brackets to fix to roof.

261bbc8a-0188-49b9-b83b-9a71e500f568_zps

Our's are hinged each side for tilting.

Have a trawl of Ebay to get an idea of panel size then build to fit a range of similar sizes rather than the narrowest/shortest.

The 18V RV/camping type panels will suit a top box with an apex as in post #9, and the domestic 36V house roof types will suit a flat top box as in the above pic, but maybe a little too wide for a narrowboat roof.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Hi all,

H

I think 3 batteries would probably do you. My electrical useage is similar to yours in that I only have 12v.

I run 2 LED TV's, one of which is on mpst of the evening every day, a water pump and LED lighting throughout. I also charge my phone and tablet via a cigarette charger.

I have 2 of the semi-flexible 100w solar panels that Julynian links to in his post, but to be honest I'm not getting much out of them at this time of year.

I last ran my engine on 20th December and according to my SmartGauge I am only down to 56% SOC. I will go cruising later in the week to charge my batteries back to 100%. This is the first time in 4 months I've let them get anywhere near 50%. I don't have a generator or hook up.

I'm quite frugal with lights and turn one on/one off when I move through the boat so never have more than one on at a time. That said, I'm not tight with the telly and usually have Sky News on in the background all day. Whenever I go anywhere in the car I take the opportunity to charge my phone.

As you can see I easily make do with 3x 110AH Numax sealed leisure batteries. Put the cost of the 4th battery towards another solar panel (and decent MPPT controller).

Personally I liked these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-TITAN-ENERGY-semi-flexible-SOLAR-PANELS-SOLAR-CHARGER-caravan-boat-/321265499390?pt=UK_Gadgets&var=&hash=item4accea7cfe

still a bit pricey though, when they're under £1.50 per watt, I might be tempted.

These are the ones I mean, I have 2 fitted on the roof of my boat. They were performing well right up until about October but haven't done much since.

Have a trawl of Ebay to get an idea of panel size then build to fit a range of similar sizes rather than the narrowest/shortest.

The 18V RV/camping type panels will suit a top box with an apex as in post #9, and the domestic 36V house roof types will suit a flat top box as in the above pic, but maybe a little too wide for a narrowboat roof.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thank you. Pete. I looked at a 400w system/kit from china. Any problem with the China bit? What else is required. It seems this kit just goes into an inverter. Do you need a controller or something like that.

Martyn

Common way to go is to buy panels sourced from UK suppliers via Ebay or from the likes of Navitron, Bimble Solar.

Then hook them up to a Tracer MPPT controller, again sourced from UK supplier via Ebay, Amazon, or Bimble Solar etc.

Not really worth buying direct from China especially panels as the shipping will be huge with duties on top. The smaller sized Tracer MPPTs can be bought direct from China for a saving, but still not really worth it unless on a really tight budget.

Connecting the panels to controller usually involved pre made leads with MC4 style connectors, then the required size cable between controller and batts, plus required fuse size in the positive near the batt end. Some go for the more pricy MPPTs from Victron or Blue Skies.

For 400W of panels and a 12V batt bank, a 40A MPPT would be ideal though a 30A should get by OK. Pretty much plug and play really smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Sounds good. Good advice.

Would 400w be ample for a 660 battery bank? Is a 660 amp hr bank too big? Will I have trouble maintaining this size of bank?

We presently have a 440 amp hr bank. When we bought Nightwatch there was a 3k inverter and I'm told that 440 amp hr may not be able to push enough power that is being asked for sometimes. That's the only reason I'm thinking 660 ah.

So, I need four 100w panels. Make four panels on top of roof boxes. A MPPT controller at ideally 40amp, Roberts your mothers brother.

Do I need a charger as well? Or does the controller do that?

Martyn

Sounds good. Good advice.

Would 400w be ample for a 660 battery bank? Is a 660 amp hr bank too big? Will I have trouble maintaining this size of bank?

We presently have a 440 amp hr bank. When we bought Nightwatch there was a 3k inverter and I'm told that 440 amp hr may not be able to push enough power that is being asked for sometimes. That's the only reason I'm thinking 660 ah.

So, I need four 100w panels. Make four panels on top of roof boxes. A MPPT controller at ideally 40amp, Roberts your mothers brother.

Do I need a charger as well? Or does the controller do that?

Martyn

Hi Nightwatch.

This site is really good for info and really cheap panels either singular or in kits ready to fit.

http://www.bimblesolar.com/165Wsolar

400w of panels if fine with a 440 BB but with a 3kva inverter I personally would go 660 BB. We actually have 696a BB our 3kva inverter doesn't miss a beat. We also have 740w of solar too.

I've just realised Pete covered most this in post 20. The bimble link above though will take you to a 165w solar panel. personally I would go for 3 of these. They're only 790mm wide and probably sit nicely on a n/broof. The 250w panels are usually over a metre wide, so these are worth some consideration, they're also higher voltage that 12v panels so will work well with a good MPPT controller. The panels will each be longer but only 3 to fit of course.

Size: 1590 x 790 x 39.5mm

There are some solar panels now on Bimble @ 38p per watt http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/yingli220W

Edited by Julynian