I Miss Cruising

Featured Posts

I woke up this morning to a very still,very calm day, After taking Charlie to greet the morning glow of the suns rays,& for him to do any business requirements, catch up on the dog gossip ,smells & happenings of the previous nite. We then turned to see my 'Nulife4 -2' at her mooring where she will now probably sit for for the next 5mth or so (its only the 3rd mooring we have ever taken for any length of time,from ou CCr lifestyle). & I picked up that she was just a little bit sad,a bit down in the scuppers. An hour later,sitting on the stern with a coffee sun rising ever higher,the constant taunting proved just to much for this weak minded soul, So I succumbed to its draw.

Boat checks wher done,Eng started,Lines wher let go & I swear She felt like a puppy in a field of Andrex,

So Down to the River Entrance, All the way up to Arundel Bridge on the tide,then turned around for a cuppa,

An hour later,punching what's left of the tide started our way back down river to our prison,,Ooops I mean mooring. I did not see anyone else all morning,no boat movements,no fishermen nothing.The whole of the Arun was mine alone. It was then that I noticed a bit of a problem, its a beautiful,very sunny day, & my solar pannals arnt working !. Rite,I will have to sort them out when I ge back I thought.

Just got back,20mins ago, turned everything off & changed the boat from sea,into cottage mode, got my electric tool kit & meter out to attack the s/panel problem, but wait,they are working fine,infact ime 'dumping' pwr,which in my book is a shame,but sadly the norm when I was CCing.only produceing pwr when the fridge starts. DOH !.

Then the penny dropped,,has it really been that long,,how quick I forget.

I Miss Cruiseing.

Have you had any Doh ! Moments lately.

Actually,I should have started this thread in general boating,under the heading ' DOH! Confessional'

Maybe a helpful Mod can help move it !.

• Greenie 1

Eh what ?.

Most of it! But this in particular puzzled me:

Just got back,20mins ago, turned everything off & changed the boat from sea,into cottage mode, got my electric tool kit & meter out to attack the s/panel problem, but wait,they are working fine,infact ime 'dumping' pwr,which in my book is a shame,but sadly the norm when I was CCing.only produceing pwr when the fridge starts. DOH !.

Then the penny dropped,,has it really been that long,,how quick I forget.

smile.png

MtB

We'll, not sure why me getting back 20mins or so before posting would puzzle you,or why I have a sea mode or cottage mode on the boat,it just works for us.we stow things away for safty when we cruise !.

As its been a while since I actually moved/cruised, (some 5 weeks or so) I completely forgot/overlooked the fact that while actually cruising & have 2 x100amp alts belting pwr through a alt manager into my battery, it causes my solar panel regulator to auto shut down /blocks or dumps any pwr they produce,as its clearly not needed. Forgetting this fact made me thinking there is a problem. It was only when eng was off alts was off , the fridge cycled & the s/panel regulator auto switched on to supply pwr, it all came flooding back to me, Hence the DOH ! Moment. & it just made me think how quickly we can forget things, That's all.

Didn't intend to puzzle you Mike,just thought it funny.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

It did make more sense 2nd time around. I too was puzzled as to why your solar panels didn't work until the fridge came on :)

Oh Yes MTB was quite rite,it even made more sense to me as well 2nd time around.

Just read my signature at the bottom,it tends to explain a lot.

We'll, not sure why me getting back 20mins or so before posting would puzzle you,or why I have a sea mode or cottage mode on the boat,it just works for us.we stow things away for safty when we cruise !.

As its been a while since I actually moved/cruised, (some 5 weeks or so) I completely forgot/overlooked the fact that while actually cruising & have 2 x100amp alts belting pwr through a alt manager into my battery, it causes my solar panel regulator to auto shut down /blocks or dumps any pwr they produce,as its clearly not needed. Forgetting this fact made me thinking there is a problem. It was only when eng was off alts was off , the fridge cycled & the s/panel regulator auto switched on to supply pwr, it all came flooding back to me, Hence the DOH ! Moment. & it just made me think how quickly we can forget things, That's all.

Didn't intend to puzzle you Mike,just thought it funny.

Ah I see! This answers loadsa things in my mind, like HOW could you know if the solar panels were 'working' or not whilast steering the boat!

Anyway I need to lighten up myself. I've had a series of boiler repair appts fall apart today and this sort of thing just wastes the day away. So far today I've only fixed one boiler and the of two remaining appointments one has called to say can I come next week instead and the other can't get me access permission as the tenant has gone out shopping. Do they REALLY want the hot water back on or what?! Grrrrr....

MtB

Ah I see! This answers loadsa things in my mind, like HOW could you know if the solar panels were 'working' or not whilast steering the boat!

Anyway I need to lighten up myself. I've had a series of boiler repair appts fall apart today and this sort of thing just wastes the day away. So far today I've only fixed one boiler and the of two remaining appointments one has called to say can I come next week instead and the other can't get me access permission as the tenant has gone out shopping. Do they REALLY want the hot water back on or what?! Grrrrr....

MtB

I've got a 'traffic light ' led display on my Marlec HRSi regulator,mounted in my Nav station @ the helm position. Gives an instant visual idea of what's happening re power/batteries before it goes to my Mastervolt charge control unit also mounted in Nav station at the helm that gives as near exact a breakdown of all my power/charging/distribution needs ect,

Have a coffee & a Kit Kat Mike.or just go cruising for a few hrs !.

Thanks Athy.

Yes,I can't help but smile when reading that .

MtB

I know how you feel, the general public are so fickle. So glad I no longer have to deal with them

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel Paul.

Naughty-Cal is currently cooped up on the Fossditch with no chance to stretch her legs. She doesn't feel incredibly happy about it.

I'm missing being out and about. Ditch crawling is all well and good but we prefer river, estuary and coastal cruising. Bring on spring.

The nights are drawing out so its on its way :D