CRT Stoppage Alerts and Notices transferring to CRT web address

Leo No2

Featured Posts

STOPPAGE ALERTS AND NOTICES TRANSFERRING TO WWW.CANALRIVERTRUST.ORG.UK

The alerts the Canal & River Trust provides for boaters about waterway closures and stoppages will be available on the charitys website from the week commencing 9 December 2013.

The new alerts will be easier to use and will provide clearer information for boaters:

Stoppages and notices will appear on interactive maps and will be fully integrated;

More information on the type of notice, for example whether its a sporting event or a closure due to maintenance;

Clearer canal and river listings, with all parts of the waterway grouped together.

Boaters will be able to search for stoppages on the Trusts website from the week commencing 9 December. They can also find out about stoppages by looking at the interactive In Your Area maps on the website.

The Trust is emailing all those boaters who receive alerts to tell them about the changes and let them know what they need to do.

Waterscape alerts will stop being emailed out during the week commencing 9 December and boaters visiting the page will be redirected to the Trusts website.

Simon Salem, marketing director at Canal & River Trust, said: The stoppage alerts and notices are now fully integrated onto our website and I hope they provide a clear and easy-to-use resource to any boater planning a trip. They appear on our interactive maps and are a very visual way to see whats happening where, as well as providing even more information than before. I urge all boaters who currently receive stoppage alerts to sign up at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk to ensure they are kept up-to-date with anything that may affect their cruising.

To find out more about stoppages in your area, please visit: www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/in-your-area (notices will be live from the week commencing 9 December)

Boaters who currently get stoppage alerts by email will need to re-register on the Trusts website to continue to receive the updates, because their accounts are protected by encrypted passwords that cannot be transferred over. If they already have a MyTrust account they will simply need to sign in.

ENDS

The map is a notable effort but unfortunately not very accurate. Just having a quick look at my home turf, Stoke on Trent, there are mistakes. Lock 38 on the T&M is Twyford's Lock, not Ridgeway's, Bridge 2 Bedford St is on the Caldon, not the T&M. I cannot see any button to report errors, which would be useful.

People should note that in the OP's post she points out what you need to do.

Importantly you need to register for the new service, if you are registered for the current email alerts these will stop when the new service starts.

Registered last night, no sign of confirmation Email as yet...

I received the activation email immediately on registering this morning.

Have you checked your email spam/junk folder in case it's gone in there?

(I noticed you don't have to confirm your email address by entering it twice like you normally do when registering it with an internet site, so a simple one character error while typing it means you won't get the activation email).

Edited by The Dog House

Registered last night, no sign of confirmation Email as yet...

So did I and got the first email from them today, nothing about stoppages just a video, I fear there may be more to come see below

Hello Brian,
Thank you for joining the Canal & River Trust - we're delighted to have you on board.
We're all here because of a feeling. It's one we've all experienced - in that blissful moment when we escape to our favourite waterside spot - but can't really describe. Relaxed? Relieved? Simply content?
We can't quite put the connection we all feel to our canals and rivers into words, so we've come up with a short video instead. Take a look:
What do you think? Have we captured it?
Here's hoping,
Daniel Charles
The Canal & River Trust

Help. I don't understand the map. Looked at K&A, lots of numbers 1,2,3& 4 & bridge signs but it doesn't say if they are closed or how long for. Absolutely no use at all. So what should it do?

If you click on the sign it should open a small box with the details of the stoppage.

All I got was the name of the bridge or feature :-(

As said above surely it won't until they actually start using this feature for stoppages. Until 9th Dec they are still using the existing way of doing it on Waterscape.

As said above surely it won't until they actually start using this feature for stoppages. Until 9th Dec they are still using the existing way of doing it on Waterscape.

Maybe that's it. I was one of the beta testers for the new system, and on the trial setup, the box contained the info about dates and so on with an option to click through again to full info about the stoppage. It made the map much more useful than the list for checking if a route you were contemplating would be possible.

I had the email about this but went and deleted it by mistake. What was it telling you to do?

This:

1. Create a MyTrust account. We need you to do this because we can’t transfer your old encrypted password from waterscape to this site because for obvious reasons it is personal to you and invisible to us.

2. If you’re not already, sign in to your MyTrust account.

3. You’ll now see a list of things you can ‘check and manage’. Click on the one titled ‘My notices & stoppages’.’

4. You’ll now see a full list of navigations. Simply select the ones you want to receive by ticking the boxes next to them. Finally, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Update Notices & Stoppages’ button and you’re done!

If you have problems with any of the above please email notices@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

HTH

1. Create a MyTrust account. We need you to do this because we can’t transfer your old encrypted password from waterscape to this site because for obvious reasons it is personal to you and invisible to us.

I am showing my ignorance here (cue a chorus of "what again!")

That implies to me that I won't be able to see stoppages without registering an "account". However currently on the waterscape site I don't have an "account" but can still see and search for stoppages.

Does the above only apply if you want email notification or will I need an "account" to see any stoppages?

This:

2. If you’re not already, sign in to your MyTrust account.

3. You’ll now see a list of things you can ‘check and manage’. Click on the one titled ‘My notices & stoppages’.’

4. You’ll now see a full list of navigations. Simply select the ones you want to receive by ticking the boxes next to them. Finally, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Update Notices & Stoppages’ button and you’re done!

If you have problems with any of the above please email notices@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

HTH

Thanks for that.

Interesting that in the list of navigations the Titford Canal is not part of the BCN, but the Stourbridge Canal is.

I am showing my ignorance here (cue a chorus of "what again!")

That implies to me that I won't be able to see stoppages without registering an "account". However currently on the waterscape site I don't have an "account" but can still see and search for stoppages.

Does the above only apply if you want email notification or will I need an "account" to see any stoppages?

I believe you will now need an 'account'

- it's I guess a way of getting you 'on the hook' so to speak as of course when you have an account your account page has all sorts links including as would be be expected 'donations'.

I should add that I am open to correction on this if anybody knows different but it would seem to be a logical step to me.

Edited by The Dog House

I believe you will now need an 'account'

- it's I guess a way of getting you 'on the hook' so to speak as of course when you have an account your account page has all sorts links including as would be be expected 'donations'.

I should add that I am open to correction on this if anybody knows different but it would seem to be a logical step to me.

Thanks for that DN. Logical from the CRT point of view no doubt, annoying and IMO counterproductive for the casual user.

Edited by Jerra