Dirty glass on Morso Squirrel

stickleback

Featured Posts

Hi. I have got the squirrel burning well, the boat is toasty warm, but as usual the glass is so black the flames look dim!

Is there an optimum setting for the top and bottom vents to burn the dirt off the glass?

I light it with kindling, paper and smokeless fuel but it is almost always pretty black within no time!

Really, the only way to keep the glass clean is to burn wood, close the bottom vent and open the top vent.

My Brunel, which is similar in operation to a Squirrel, will get the glass reasonably clean with Excel if the top is open but it is not as controllable and generally has to be running quite hot.

Hi. I have got the squirrel burning well, the boat is toasty warm, but as usual the glass is so black the flames look dim!

Is there an optimum setting for the top and bottom vents to burn the dirt off the glass?

I light it with kindling, paper and smokeless fuel but it is almost always pretty black within no time!

We find by burning coal (not household coal) we get a very hot bed upon which we can add the occasional log the stove keeps us really warm and the glass stays clean.

As it starts to die back we add a bit more coal and start again. Make sure no wood falls to the front and burns there.

Edited by The Dog House

Although we keep our stove in 24/7 during the winter - I clean the glass every morning......

(First thing, when the stove is at it's coolest, and before we riddle out the ash and load more fuel) - open the door, and let it cool for a few minutes

(yes - the stove IS still alight)

Two pieces of kitchen towel, folded into a pad about 4" x 2", dampen the pad with Methylated spirits, and gently rub the discoloured inner face of the glass.

in one or two minutes - hey presto - sparkly clean glass.

I have a Squirrel and found that I was getting blackened glass, after a lot of messing I found that anything that is fresh, ie when you first start it up or add more fuel (wood or coal) gives off loads of smoke. So I always try to keep anything fresh to the back half of the stove. A good draw is needed to start with so I have both vents open and the ash door open (it only opens a little when the main door is closed). Once well alight I close the ash door and have both vent open about 1 to 1 1/2 turns. What ever you do you will find you have to clean the glass every day or so but it shouldn't get to the point were you cant see the flames. Depending on the type of coal or wood you use you will find you have to play around a little to get the right burn.

Spit on newspaper, dip in ash.......

Or a Brillo pad can be used when it's hot.

Does a squirrel have an air wash?

The Squirell 1410, 1412, 1416, 1430 & 1442 all seems to have air wash although some models don't have the upper vent control.

I tried to keep the stove glass clean for about 3 days, now I just live with the smoked-glass effect!

Life's a little too short for me to worry too much about this one!

You can buy proprietary stove glass cleaners that work well, and also the old damp cloth and cold ash trick works just as well.

• Greenie 1

My woodwarm stove keeps it's glass pretty clean even burning housecoal. I hated cleaning the glass every day on previous stoves and now do it about once a week to remove the slight haze with a light rub of wet kitchen paper and then dry it off.

The only time it gets 30% dirty is when the airwash is fully closed overnight.

It's the best stove I have had and well worth the £769

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

I have never thought "ooh, isn't that beneficial when I've got a nose-full of ammonia!

My mum used to keep some for cleaning a long long time ago, I was about 8 and decided to take a sniff at this strange bottle with ribs on the outside of it. BANG!!! blew the top of my head off,. It was just like a balloon bursting in my head. lucky I didnt drop the bottle or the house would have needed clearing. Never did it again I can tell you.

I tried to keep the stove glass clean for about 3 days, now I just live with the smoked-glass effect!

Life's a little too short for me to worry too much about this one!

You can buy proprietary stove glass cleaners that work well, and also the old damp cloth and cold ash trick works just as well.

I go with that. Lifes to short to worry.

I'm looking at my stove now & see a satisfying smoked red glow through the glass.

If I see merily dancing bright flames I'm not happy. It means the controls arn't set right & I'm wasting fuel.