Microsoft mess up latest updates for XP

Featured Posts

If you are running a Windows XP machine you may have noticed that it has just started running incredibly slowly, and maybe (if it's a laptop) it's even getting rather hot. Luckily the cure is simple and all takes place with just a couple of clicks (for non-techies, just skip to the last paragraph of this post)

If so, it may be because Microsoft have messed up the November 2013 update package so that it grabs 100% of the processor capability in an ever-increasing spiral of recursively-queued update tasks. It doesn't matter whether the computer has updated itself automatically or you have run the updates manually, once you've got them there it has got stuck.

After a whole day of frustration (thank you Microsoft) during which I scanned for viruses with every scanner available, uninstalled practically everything from the PC, tried unsuccessfully to roll back to an earlier restore point (it took nearly an hour before the computer told me it couldn't complete the operation), and got almost to the point of wiping the entire drive and reinstalling the operating system from scratch - which apparently wouldn't have cured the issue - I found out that it can easily be fixed by downloading a patch manually.

The problem apparently is that the latest update includes an update to Internet Explorer, but the update process itself requires the update to have been applied already! The solution is to download the update to IE manually (it's a different update according to which version of IE you are using).

Details are in this article; all you have to do is follow the link to the update for IE6, IE7, or IE8 as appropriate, and then click on the Download button. It takes only a few seconds, and suddenly you will have a happy computer.

Interesting. I just did the updates 15 mins ago! The system was running very slowly with SVCHOST.exe using up a lot of processor power, but I then rebooted as it requested and at the moment it seems fine.

ETA it transpires that I already have the IE update installed.

Edited by nicknorman

Oh the joys of windows updates, they did this a couple of years ago with two office 2003 updates, when you opened excel it crippled your pc..

Had to uninstall from 30 work pcs manually as the WSUS couldnt do it.

My Acer laptop with Win 7 once went completely belly up after an update - totally lost the ability to boot into Windows and had to go back to Acer under warranty who replaced the hard drive.

I would like to think it was pure co-incidence and I couldn't figure out how an update could trash the drive but it seemed very suspicious to me.

(PS I wonder how long it will be before the Apple Mac crowd start crowing?)

I wise man, but you should always review and update where possible, maybe leaving a month before allowing the update...

Cheers yes - I do review them before actually installing them but sometimes it's hard to work out which to allow to be installed and which not.

My Acer laptop with Win 7 once went completely belly up after an update - totally lost the ability to boot into Windows and had to go back to Acer under warranty who replaced the hard drive.

I would like to think it was pure co-incidence and I couldn't figure out how an update could trash the drive but it seemed very suspicious to me.

(PS I wonder how long it will be before the Apple Mac crowd start crowing?)

Cheers yes - I do review them before actually installing them but sometimes it's hard to work out which to allow to be installed and which not.

That will teach you to buy an Acer clapping.gif

Interesting. About 30 mins ago the old desktop that we use as an email and print server, which runs XP, powered its self off. I pulled the tower out from under the desk and blew out a ton of dust, and after a few mins cooling it powered back on, so I thought it had overheated due to dust build up. When it booted it said that updates had been installed, so perhaps that was related to this. It is not churning the processor at the moment though, but I will keep an eye on it.

If you are running a Windows XP machine you may have noticed that it has just started running incredibly slowly, and maybe (if it's a laptop) it's even getting rather hot. Luckily the cure is simple and all takes place with just a couple of clicks (for non-techies, just skip to the last paragraph of this post)

If so, it may be because Microsoft have messed up the November 2013 update package so that it grabs 100% of the processor capability in an ever-increasing spiral of recursively-queued update tasks. It doesn't matter whether the computer has updated itself automatically or you have run the updates manually, once you've got them there it has got stuck.

After a whole day of frustration (thank you Microsoft) during which I scanned for viruses with every scanner available, uninstalled practically everything from the PC, tried unsuccessfully to roll back to an earlier restore point (it took nearly an hour before the computer told me it couldn't complete the operation), and got almost to the point of wiping the entire drive and reinstalling the operating system from scratch - which apparently wouldn't have cured the issue - I found out that it can easily be fixed by downloading a patch manually.

The problem apparently is that the latest update includes an update to Internet Explorer, but the update process itself requires the update to have been applied already! The solution is to download the update to IE manually (it's a different update according to which version of IE you are using).

Details are in this article; all you have to do is follow the link to the update for IE6, IE7, or IE8 as appropriate, and then click on the Download button. It takes only a few seconds, and suddenly you will have a happy computer.

Fine, but how would I know whether I have Internet Explorer mark 6, 7 or 8?

That will teach you to buy an Acer clapping.gif

Actually it has withstood more abuse from me than Microsoft update could ever throw at it, including several liquid spills (new keyboards from eBay a tenner a time) and falling onto our hard boat floor from the table when we acquired an alarming list getting hung up in a lock.

The actual service under warranty was fast and efficient and emails sent at each stage of the repair and dispatch, I actually can't really fault them - tongue.png

It's nearly 3 years old and still going strong (Kiss of death duly applied)

Fine, but how would I know whether I have Internet Explorer mark 6, 7 or 8?

Open Internet explorer.

Click on Help > about internet explorer

Well I've done the latest updates, after manually installing the correct update for IE as per Allan's original post and all has gone swimmingly so cheers.

Oh and I've turned automatic updates back off.....

Thanks, but when I click on "about" it tells me about Google, not about Internet Explorer.

Then you must be using Chrome.

Close it and temporarily open Internet Explorer, you have to download the update even if you don't routinely use it and use another browser

Thats why you leave it for a month, usually when they release an update and it then goes worng, they will release a patch/fix/further update.

At a domain level its the best pratice... so no reason why it should not be so at a personal level.

I had the same problem yesterday morning, but after leaving the computer on for couple of hours it cured itself. Interstingly I still got the "updating" message when i switched off last night. Jan had the same problem this mornig, but after ignoring her laptop for a couple of hours it corrected itself.

We both use Firefox, but I have Internet Explorer installed, I only tend to use it if Firefox messes around, I haven't tried IE yet since the update.

Edited to add:- I have just tried IE and it works fine. Mind you, I don't know which version i have, certainly not the latest as it always prompts me to instal version 8 , which I ignore. I also still use Outlook Express as i don't like Outlook, so I always have to change back to it after a Windows update.

Edited by David Schweizer

I use Firefox myself, but even if you don't use IE yourself Windoze makes use of it to perform the updates.

Mine too appeared to have cured itself after being left for a few hours to complete updating itself - but in fact the CPU was still frantically working away at 100% utilisation and getting slower and slower all the time.

Then you must be using Chrome.

Close it and temporarily open Internet Explorer, you have to download the update even if you don't routinely use it and use another browser

No, normal Google is my home page. Looking at the icons along the bottom of my screen I did find Google Chrome, so I have deleted it. But I still can't find any "help" or "about" for Internet Explorer. As soon as I click it on, it goes to the Google home page. I tried right-clicking on the Internet Exporer icon but that didn't reveal anything relevant.

No, normal Google is my home page. Looking at the icons along the bottom of my screen I did find Google Chrome, so I have deleted it. But I still can't find any "help" or "about" for Internet Explorer. As soon as I click it on, it goes to the Google home page. I tried right-clicking on the Internet Exporer icon but that didn't reveal anything relevant.

Ok I see - I think then you haven't got your 'menu bar' enabled.

Right click on the tool bar at the top of Internet Explorere.

On the list that comes up ensure 'menu bar' is ticked.

You should then see - File edit View Favourites tools help (or similar) on the tool bar.

Click on that 'help' to get about internet explorer.

Aha! Thanks Martin and Dave. I clicked the wee blue circle and I have discovered that I have Internet Explorer version 8.0.

So, now I'll go back to the earlier instructions. Knowing my expertise with computers, this may be the last you see of me on line for a while.....

Edited by Athy

Well, I'm back. I pressed "download" but then it suggested I did one of two further actions, neither of which I knew how to do. So I am not sure if my download has had any effect or not!

The download should offer you the chance to install.

I have only just read this and my PC which runs Vista started to go slow after downloading the update yesterday morning so I selected to install and then had to reboot three times before it booted without either going into safe mode or blue screening on me!

Thankfully a friend called just as I was about to throw something and so I took myself off for a chat and when I came back all was hunky dory!