does anyone watch top gear

adam the wanderer

Featured Posts

I thought the polish were starting on narrow boats, sure ive read it somewhere?

Aqualine used to build their NB's there but now they just build their Wide beams and Dutch barges in Gdansk.

They moved NB production back to the UK to Midland Canal Centre at Derby.

Not sure if anybody else builds them there still though.

Edited by The Dog House

To be fair to Top Gear they did a show in the spring showcasing the british motor industry. Don't be put off by the first couple of minutes which cover Japanese cars made in UK plants - the rest of the show is mainly covers british design and manufacture and concludes with a show of british cars on The Mall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFPxdg9R4k

Edited by Meggers

It would appear that UK built narrow boats are the best in the world then. Did we outbuild the opposition?

I know that China still builds but they do not appear to be a major manufacturer yet.

They will become a major manufacturer for a certain segment of the market.

I work for a company that imports cars into Africa from China. The build quality improves all the time. They will get there in the end, but don't hold your breath.

They remain however "value for money" as far as cars are concerned. A certain amount of compromise is required.

When faced with the option of buying say a two or three year old car or boat at a price that a new Chinese "value for money" car or boat can be purchased for then some people will choose the new option no matter what.

Boatbuilding (of which building inland waterways craft is a very small part) is one of the more successful manufacturing industries in this country, with an annual turnover of something like £3-4 billion a year. Having said that, there aren't many British firms competing in the smaller, high volume segment of the market. What we tend to have are either small firms making high quality small boats to order, or larger firms building bigger yachts and motor cruisers (for a long time it was difficult to find a British manufacturer of sailing yachts with a model under 40 feet LOA in their range. Moody now have a 36 foot model, but they're the only ones).

Caught the back end of one, last night. Judging by the terrain, they'd hammered a Mini, a Rolls and a Jaguar XJS. They had nothing but praise for the Brit built old models, and placed them all on pedestals along with the flag. So, there was a spark of pride there in the end.

Some on here may remember when the three of them were challenged to produce a sort of home made amphibious vehicle, drive it to, and then sail it across, a reservoir.

Hammond came up with an old type 25 VW van and made a sort of narrowboat out of it.

James May stuck a sail on a Triumph Herald

Clarkson (surprise surprise) had two monster outboards fitted to a Toyota HiLux 4x4

The programme lost its shine some time ago for me, but this particular edition made me believe you could actually die laughing.

Some on here may remember when the three of them were challenged to produce a sort of home made amphibious vehicle, drive it to, and then sail it across, a reservoir.

Hammond came up with an old type 25 VW van and made a sort of narrowboat out of it.

Clarkson (surprise surprise) had two monster outboards fitted to a Toyota HiLux 4x4

The programme lost its shine some time ago for me, but this particular edition made me believe you could actually die laughing.

They also did a sequel, where they managed to drive an amphibious HiLux across the channel.

Now if it had been a more serious program rather than a comedy, I reckon a HiLux would be a very good basis for an amphibious 4x4 akin to a smaller DUKW (which were very effective as amphibious trucks, even if they lack something as passenger vessels 70 years after they were built). Admittedly I'd probably start by building a new monocoque chassis/hull to transplant the engine and running gear on to (and also add a PTO to the drivetrain to drive a couple of water jets for propulsion in the water, and some big bilge pumps to keep it afloat).

Question for those who know

What materials,components etc used in mainstream narrowboat production are manufactured in the UK and by who?

Everything I see in chandlers is from none UK sources, do we even make steel plate these days? Indian owned if we do?

Hope I am wrong

Ray

Toyboata

Dampervan

and I cant remember the nickname of the Herald!

(and Clarkson only had one outboard in the end! cool.png )

and it was filmed at Leek - on the reservoir used to feed the Caldon canal.

Edited by steven wilkinson

Question for those who know

What materials,components etc used in mainstream narrowboat production are manufactured in the UK and by who?

Everything I see in chandlers is from none UK sources, do we even make steel plate these days? Indian owned if we do?

Hope I am wrong

Ray

If you are asking on a percentage basis I would say....no idea..

But if its high it will be the same as many UK assembled products.

I watch top gear from time to time must admit they get on my wick going on about no British industries left and how crap the cars were what about the narrow boat manufacturers of Britain best in the world and still going strong

I would like to think that most people don't take Top Gear seriously.

The content is predictable, boring and usually nauseating. When the program first started, many years ago, it was informative and interesting. Now it is just a showcase for the personalities (or lack of) of the 3 presenters.

I hope they never review a narrowboat - although I am aware they once sank a vehicle on Rudyard lake.

(my opinions are personal, probably boring, but from an old fart who should know better)

Toyboata

Dampervan

and I cant remember the nickname of the Herald!

(and Clarkson only had one outboard in the end! cool.png )

and it was filmed at Leek - on the reservoir used to feed the Caldon canal.

The James Mayflower.

Was "Leek" chosen on purpose do we think...