Strangest lock experience yet.

Alanji

Featured Posts

Greeno for Mr. Schweitzer and his story of justice being done!

He is quite fussy about people spelling his surname correctly though!

The guy in the marina berth in front of us has had his boat for over 2 years now, and has never taken it through a lock!

Is this a simple case of not wishing to knock any washers off, or something different?

Greeno for Mr. Schweitzer and his story of justice being done!

He is quite fussy about people spelling his surname correctly though!

Yes, I did notice that. I am sure if I suggest to Mike that he has changed my Grandfather's nationality, he will undersatand what I mean.

We met and shared Stenson lock last year with a "bossy" couple- the lady especially insisted on instructing her husbands and my every movement. He spent most of the time shouting at their companions to get back on board and not to leave the fire unattended. When I asked how long they had been boating- they said since Thursday (2 days) but had read all the books- and when she introduced herself as Rosie- I didn't dare ask his name- you couldn't make it up

We met and shared Stenson lock last year with a "bossy" couple- the lady especially insisted on instructing her husbands and my every movement. He spent most of the time shouting at their companions to get back on board and not to leave the fire unattended. When I asked how long they had been boating- they said since Thursday (2 days) but had read all the books- and when she introduced herself as Rosie- I didn't dare ask his name- you couldn't make it up

Coming down Braunston flight with RayT a couple of weeks ago (post Banter) I was shouted at by a lady in a boat coming up, to leave the paddles alone as she knew what she was doing. After assuring her that I would never raise a paddle without the steerer's consent, I asked her why she was so strident in her demands. She replied that their boat gets bashed about in locks and the paddles had to be opened very slowly and gently to prevent that happening.

I suggested to her that as their boat was only 55 ft long, I could demonstrate how to open the paddles and keep the boat on the same side of the lock. She clearly did not believe me but somewhat reluctantly agreed to attempt it. After the boat stuck happily against the lock wall throughout the proceedure and until the lockwas full, she admitted that she had learnt something. We parted very amicably.

Edited by David Schweizer

Yes, I did notice that. I am sure if I suggest to Mike that he has changed my Grandfather's nationality, he will undersatand what I mean.

As one whose own surname is not infrequently misspelt, I do indeed undersatand and indeed apoloagise. In my defence, it was very early in the morning and I had not yet finished my first cup of coffee!

As one whose own surname is not infrequently misspelt, I do indeed undersatand and indeed apoloagise. In my defence, it was very early in the morning and I had not yet finished my first cup of coffee!

That is fine Mike, I was not going to raise it myself, but spelling is only one burden of having a Central European surname, you should hear some of the attempts at pronouncing it!

I assume that it sounds like the German for "Swiss" - but, just so I'm clear, do you pronounce the fourth letter as a v or as a w? One never knows the extent to which such surnames are anglicised by their owners: I have a friend whose surname is Taub, he's of German Jewish origin, and I tend to pronounce him as "Towb" but he himself says "Torb".

Edited by Athy

I assume that it sounds like the German for "Swiss" - but, just so I'm clear, do you pronounce the fourth letter as a v or as a w? One never knows the extent to which such surnames are anglicised by their owners: I have a friend whose surname is Taub, he's of German Jewish origin, and I tend to pronounce him as "Towb" but he himself says "Torb".

Basicly yes. The correct pronounciation is with the fourth letter pronounced as a V but we normally pronounce it as a W.

Our family is from Switzerland (hence our boat's name) where my father insisted the language spoken is Schweizerdeutch, not German. Try speaking text book German in some parts of Switzerland and they will just look at you confused.

I once taught a boy whose mother was Swiss; she told me that her native language was "Romansch". Is that the same thing?

No. that is a hybrid form of ancient Latin and German spoken by less than 1% of the Swiss population, most of whom live in the Grisons/Graubünden Canton which lies on the Austran/IItalian border. To make matters even more complicated, there are five different dialects of Romansch, which are all distictly different from each other. It is all to do with the comparatively recent history of Switzerland which is a confederation of numerous small former Kingdoms (far too complicted to explain here). There are four official languages in Switzerland, German (Schweizerdeutch), French, Italian, and Romansch,

Edited by David Schweizer

If it was a new boater, I would assume they would want both gates open because that is common good practice and what your told when starting (like speed limits on roads). It's happened to us, somebody waving for us enter through one gate, only for us to wait to open the other ourselves.

So how did you manage to get into a single lock?

In my teens, I started a collection of envelopes with variations on the spelling of our name. Within two years, I had FIFTY different. Memorable ones were Mact'Hanlon and Monamanoan. (original McManmon). I now just tell people "Near enough will do".

In my teens, I started a collection of envelopes with variations on the spelling of our name. Within two years, I had FIFTY different. Memorable ones were Mact'Hanlon and Monamanoan. (original McManmon). I now just tell people "Near enough will do".

did anybody ever question why their mail never arrived??

Edited by matty40s

Not had anywhere near fifty but my surname is only three letters; I've had Tox, Togs, Cogs and Cocks.

We had a chap called Fox where I used to work, he received a letter from a German company addressed to "Herr Wolf."

While we are talking about middle European names this is a true story.

I once worked for a fire officer whose surname is Fritzsche. His rank was Assistant Divisional Officer, abbreviated to ADO.

I took a phone call for him and ended up asking the caller to write to ADO Fritzsche

Not long after he had a letter addressed to Eddy O'Fritzsche. I kid you not. He said it was the best miss-spelling of his name he had ever had

Not had anywhere near fifty but my surname is only three letters; I've had Tox, Togs, Cogs and Cocks.

We had a chap called Fox where I used to work, he received a letter from a German company addressed to "Herr Wolf."

My Dad's cousin was Mrs Major, if someone hadn't seen her for a while people forgot exactly what her name was, but knew the name was military - Mrs Sergeant was most common. "I've been demoted again!"

I used to have a supplier, whom when I emailed them- the auto spell check wanted to change their name to Gonorrhea- How paranoid was I about pressing "Change" by mistake?

oh -and my sisters married name is dorricott- and she's been called Mrs Carrycot